Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Norma 202?

Boolit Buddy

Norma 202?

I traded into a couple pounds of Norma 202 awhile back. Norma claims it was developed for the 308 and I've used it to good effect with their data for 150s in that cartridge. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it for cast loads? It's a ball powder and in their data they show a magnum primer used. One of the burn rate charts I've seen list it one line faster than H4895

Boolit Buddy
    Most ball powders aren't good for reduced loads . Norma uses mag primers in all their CF rifle load data . Mainly IMHO due to temps encountered in that part of the world . If loads were developed with mag primers & pressure tested in their lab I wouldn't worry as long as you stick with published data . H4895 makes wonderful reduced loads . I use it in my cast loads for my old milsurp rifles . For my '03 30/06 26.0grs with Lyman 210gr bullet & my 6.5X55 Swede I use 23.5grs with the Lyman 140gr bullet . Both loads are accurate in my rifles .

Boolit Man
    Makes me wonder what you have as Norma as far as i know donīt have ball powder in their sortiment and the powder in my cans of Norma 202 is of the stick type whit a hole in it. They can have changed something but i have had 202 on hand sense 97 now and bought my newest can about a month ago and the powder looks like sticks in that one to.

I have used it with lead boolits and good results in 45-70 when i used to have one
    Best regards
    Mathias

Boolit Buddy
    Your right, dug it out to check and it is a very fine rod shape. My memory went along with my youth. I'm thinking about trying it with the NOE version of the Saeco 315 in my 308

Probably a completely different animal, but I was able to pick up 5 pounds of Norma 200 at $20/# and have been playing around with the Lee C309-170-F in my Remington 788 from the 80's. I cast the bullets with reclaimed lead shot from my shotgun club and pan lubed them with 2:1 Beeswax:Vaseline and use an Aluminum Vulcan gas check sized with the Lee 309 push through sizer.

28.4g puts me right at 2000 fps and a pretty decent group at 100 yards.

Norma 200 looks more like a short stick powder, similar to Reloader 7 which is another powder I've liked with the same gun and boolit. Not coincidentally, 2000 fps is a nice accurate MV for that combination also.

This group was at only 50 yards.