Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 700 drop in triggers

Boolit Master

After putting the Basix Trigger into the Remington 700 Long Range (Post #16 above) I took it to the range today. I had dry fired it several times before leaving for the range and thought all would be well. At the Range I got the rifle all set up, aimed at the target, and the 1st round at the range went down range before I really wanted it to. I placed my finger on the trigger (22 degrees at the range today), and it went off on what I thought was just brushing it (factory set - at 8oz). After shooting the next 9 rounds, I decided I am going to go to the range a couple of more sessions to decide if I want to adjust it for a heavier pull (say 1lb or 1&1/2 lbs). The Basix Trigger as installed is really light - reminiscent of my Remington 40X (early 1970's vintage).
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 01-22-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

In Remembrance
    I put a Timney model 510 trigger on my 308 bench gun. I adjusted the pull weight to 2lbs. Did not touch the engagement or overtravel adjustment. Did not need to. Pull weight adjustment from 1.5 to 3.0 lbs. Nice for me, your opinion may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by BRIARPATCH View Post
    Anyone happen to know specifically which years were recalled?I remember one incident where we were returning from a groundhog hunt and prior to crossing the fence he was going through his dangerous procedure of unloading each round by working through the action when on closing the bolt on one round it discharged....
    It dawned on me what that problem was then and I had to come back to it.
    I have a Rem. 700 bought in 1980, and remember the accidental discharge issue being in the news.
    I can't remember if mine was older or newer than the problem children.

The problem was that with some of them, if you put it on 'safe', pulled the trigger, let it up, then took it off 'safe', it would discharge.

Then recall for that came after a guy shot and killed his friend while walking behind him when it happened.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-25-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

One word of caution, if you put a Jewel trigger on one of your guns, you will want one on ALL of your guns. I tried one a few years ago, now I have 13 of them.
    They are that good.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    One word of caution, if you put a Jewel trigger on one of your guns, you will want one on ALL of your guns. I tried one a few years ago, now I have 13 of them.
    They are that good.

Dave
    try a triggertech. i used to think my jewell was awesome, now its just pretty good.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a few aftermarket triggers. A Canjar (remember those), a Timney, a Kelbly and several Jewells. I really like the Jewells. Easy to install, easy to adjust and the instructions are clear and simple. The spring on the bolt release is tricky, take a picture of it before you remove it. A buddy has a couple of Shilens that he likes. The Jewell comes with 2 springs. One for 3# down to 1# and another for ounces.

Boolit Master
    Have Rem 700 Classic in 243 that had the issue of unintentional discharges. Both times it fired when the bolt was closed. Replaced it with a Timney and only issue was the trigger was wider and had to widen the opening in the trigger bow. First fitting did not remove enough and the trigger would rub and if the bolt was not worked with enough force it would hang up and not reset. Opened it up enough to give plenty of clearance and solved the problem.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to remember is High power shooters shoot some really good groups with a 4 1/2 + lb trigger pull, point being it not just weight but release, smoothness, over travel, and the reliability of these also have a direct impact on shooting.

I have several jewel triggers. One thing to watch on the 700s triggers are some have safeties some don't. You might try uooing the weight to 2 - 2 1/2lbs and if possible adjusting the let off break point as short as possible.

Banned

im thinking on the new timney 2 stage for my o6 700. Anyone have one. Ive come to like 2 stage triggers for long range deer shooting with ar15s. It kind of gives you a second to pause and get your brain right for lack of better words.

Boolit Grand Master

After shooting M1As for 20+ years in NRA service rifle Im more used to the good 2 stage triggers than single stage. Shooting offhand and position I like being able to "load the trigger" with 1/2- 3/4 of the pull weight and hold it there then a very short second stage to break the shot.

Boolit Mold
    I put the cheapest timney in my 700s. The only thing that kept it from being a drop in was filing out the trigger guard so it would work right. I set mine for 2.5 lbs. They vary a few ounces between shots with a lyman trigger pull scale but not according to my finger.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I should update this post. ��

I went with a Timney Calvin Elite and it’s a fantastic trigger.

Boolit Master
    timney 510 $145 tried and true,very safe 2.5# to 5#

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12