Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 drop in triggers

Boolit Grand Master

Remington 700 drop in triggers

Have a 280 AI that was rebarreled by my smith and cerakoted. Nice hunting stock and scope. A tad heavy in the 9# range but I’m not hunting in the mountains and it spends more time at the range than anything. That being said, I really need a drop in trigger for it that is worthy of the gun. The trigger is light but has too much creep, which my gunsmith said he had the hardest time removing. Still way better than stock but no where near a custom trigger. I’ve never replaced a Rem 700 trigger but have worked plenty on other things. Which trigger would you suggest and why and how difficult are they to replace?

Boolit Master

They are a breeze to change. Look at Jewell, may not be spelled right. I have several 1.25 oz triggers, but they make other weights.

The Brownell's catalog has a few. Jewell is the Cadillac, but the others are pretty good too. Changing it is easy and straightforward.
    The only thing bad about going to Brownell's is that you'll also want to get all sorts of other stuff like a speedlock firing pin, allen head screws, etc.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-16-2019 at 08:25 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

trigger tech special. every bit as good as the jewell, much cheaper.

Boolit Master

Timney is good, especially their Calvin Elite, though it is more expensive. My favorite, though, is Shilen for about $145.

Boolit Grand Master

If it makes a difference, this is ultimately a hunting rifle that pulls major bench duty and in wanting around a 2-2.5# trigger

Boolit Master

Bought a Rifle Basix replacement trigger for my new Remington 700 Long Range in 300 Win Mag. The trigger on it as from Remington feels like one is dead lifting 200 pounds trying to shoot it. Tried to adjust it; but no improvement; so the new trigger.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/rifle-b...-5-pounds.html

Have not installed it yet; that's a chore for sometime the next week or so. I'll see ho it works out in next week or so and if the thread is still active; provide a comment on it's performance.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Some claim that Jewel triggers aren't the best for a hunting trigger as they don't tolerate dusty, dirty conditions. I had a jewel on my 7saum for 5 years and swapped it this past year for a shilen. I had no problems with my jewel trigger.

One thing to consider is do you like a wide or narrow trigger shoe. Jewel is fairly narrow, as is shilen. Some Timney are wide, but I think the Calvin elite is narrow. Calvin elite also has a 2-stage version as well.

Many different options for the 700. Piece of cake to change.

Banned
    The 700 trigger is a fine trigger IF kept clean and rust free.

Adjusting it is easy IF you RTFI !

https://www.sniperforums.com/forum/d...0-trigger.html

I have several, all set to 2 lbs and you can slam them on their butts all day long and they never go off.

A new trigger is a solution in search of a problem. (unless you want a 2 ounce trigger).

Boolit Buddy
    For field trigger Shilen is hard to beat.
    Jewells quality has slipped since early 2000's.
    But any of the aftermarkets are better than the newer 700's
    Older ones can be tuned to be acceptable.

Banned
    Of course none of these contraptions is as reliable, safe and idiot proof as a well tuned military 2 stage or the older Model 70 trigger.

I'm watching this thread for any comments, good or bad, on the Rifle Basix. I need a lighter trigger for my custom barreled Model 700 and I'm looking at the 8 oz. to 1.5 lb. model. Sorry about the hi-jack.

Boolit Master

Gisselle makes a Remington 700 super trigger. It takes about 5 minutes to install. You can choose single stage or double stage depending on your preference. It's worth taking a look at.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    Of course none of these contraptions is as reliable, safe and idiot proof as a well tuned military 2 stage or the older Model 70 trigger.
    Really??? I have 9 rifles with Jewell bench rest triggers and have never had a FTF or AD with them. Now, all of mine are pre 2000's.

Boolit Master

Have an older Rem. 700 in 22-250 Cal. I recently installed a speed-lock firing pin and spring which reduced my trigger pull to 2 pounds. Not the reason I changed the pin and spring but part of the results.
    Larry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I'm watching this thread for any comments, good or bad, on the Rifle Basix. I need a lighter trigger for my custom barreled Model 700 and I'm looking at the 8 oz. to 1.5 lb. model. Sorry about the hi-jack.

I got that "Round-TuIt this afternoon. Removed the factory Remington 700 (latest model Remington Factory Trigger? - serial range RR067xxJ) . Then installed a Rifle Basix model LV-1K. I ignored the Basix instructions/video that had one totally disassembling the entire trigger group. Instead I drifted the Front Retaining pin out (staked in so one needs a good quality 1/8 punch - the Cheap Harbor Freight punch set I picked up because I did not have the correct size is to soft of steel and the end expands so the one I used will get filed down or thrown away as the punch head mushroomed slightly). Then I drifted the rear pin out.

Reassembly of the Bolt Stop Reset Pin was a pain. Found the below picture and studied it several times and was able to finally get the assembly back in; rear pin just in enough to hold the Bolt Stop Reset Pin and Spring assembly; then installed the Basix Trigger Group.

Attachment 234099

And the Trigger Group held by front Pin - ready to be rotated over and inserted followed by rear pin partially in, then being driven fully in holding the Trigger Group in.

Attachment 234098

I do not have a Trigger Pull Gauge; but would say that it is at 8oz or so as some of the Basix Literature states. I have dried fire a couple dozen times and it is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 01-17-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    Lots of useful suggestions here. I have my Dad's early seventies 700 BDL .243 and have been thinking about getting a new trigger.
    Part of my concern stems from something I read about there having been a recall on some of the years 700's for trigger failure.
    Anyone happen to know specifically which years were recalled?
    I remember one incident where we were returning from a groundhog hunt and prior to crossing the fence he was going through his dangerous procedure of unloading each round by working through the action when on closing the bolt on one round it discharged......into the ground thankfully.....but he swore his finger was not on the trigger.
    Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BRIARPATCH View Post
    Lots of useful suggestions here. I have my Dad's early seventies 700 BDL .243 and have been thinking about getting a new trigger.
    Part of my concern stems from something I read about there having been a recall on some of the years 700's for trigger failure.
    Anyone happen to know specifically which years were recalled?
    I remember one incident where we were returning from a groundhog hunt and prior to crossing the fence he was going through his dangerous procedure of unloading each round by working through the action when on closing the bolt on one round it discharged......into the ground thankfully.....but he swore his finger was not on the trigger.
    pretty much every model 700 that has ever been made up until the last couple years has been recalled.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a couple of Rifle Basic triggers on my guns. Happy with them.

Boolit Master
    I put a Timney trigger in a 700, and it was an easy job. Having proper sized punches instead of using cut off nails will help the job along. Check the Timney website-I believe they were coming out with a new M700 trigger soon, however, I followed the rule that new and improved often means just more cheaply made I went ahead and used the one then available. It was about $135 from Midway, and that model was about the same price at Brownells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast