RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110 and scope suggestions

Savage 110 and scope suggestions

Well I ended up buying an older Savage 110 today. It has a checkered birch stock, no accutrigger, and is in 30-06 caliber. For whatever reason it just felt right, looked right, and the price was right. Got some dings on the stock but nothing major, a few freckles on the metal but very few. Overall in great shape. Dirty from sitting, after some dry firing guess the sear and trigger shed themselves of their grit and it has a crisp, I'd guess 5-5 1/2 pound trigger pull. It has what I'd guess to be cheap two piece mounts. After giving it another go I'm going to guess 4 1/2 pound trigger pull, pretty decent.

I'm fairly new to bolt action rifles, even though I've owned a few including a savage 111, they never was my thing. So I have some questions.

1. Is the trigger adjustable? As in, can I just turn a screw and adjust it? I wasn't sure to start but I'm happy with it.

2. Mounts. I want to use the two piece mounts instead of a one piece so I have better access to the breech. Is there any common problems associated with the two piece mounts? I seen some one piece mounts that are solid and will hang over the bolt, are there any that will mirror the shape of the receiver opening so as to not restrict accessibility?

3. Scopes. I'd prefer to buy a used scope and be in the 100-150 range. It will need to be long enough to go between the two piece mounts if I can't find a suitable one piece mount. I don't want a very large diameter scope. I like the look of the leupold vari-x ii 3-9x40. Does anyone know if that scope will fit the gun with two piece mounts and have about the right eye relief? I'd be cool with a fixed power scope too, I just don't want a huge objective. Any other scopes I should be looking at used? Waterproof and fogproof is a must. I have a cheap tasco pronghorn 4x32 which I could use for a while if I got a one piece mount as the tube ain't long enough as it is.

4. My goals are centered primarily around hunting. Two inches at 100 yards wound be plenty for me with factory or jacketed reloads. With cast I'm thinking 180-200 grain bullets and trying to get as close as I can to factory velocity while maintaining hunting accuracy, 2-3"@100 yards. I've read a few articles to this latter affect but I'm thankful for any suggestions or direction on this.

I appreciate any advice I can get.
    Bazoo
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-16-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I recommend DNz scope mounts. I have used them on a lot of rifles an have no complaints about them. Rifle basixs offers a good adjustable trigger for those savage 110's

Ive got an old 110 in the fiberglas stock. I just ordered a 2 piece weaver set for less than 10 bucks delivered. I dont know how well they work yet. Are you unhappy with the trigger?

It's worth springing for a VXX III. Leupold doesn't have quite the warranty that Vortex does, but it's still pretty darn good. And a 3-9x40 isn't really that much dosh. Leupold 2 piece bases are very common, and you definitely have enough space to adjust for eye relief. The eyebox on the VX's are generous.

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Ive got an old 110 in the fiberglas stock. I just ordered a 2 piece weaver set for less than 10 bucks delivered. I dont know how well they work yet. Are you unhappy with the trigger?
    No, I'm not unhappy. I've never liked real light triggers. Long as it's crisp.

Here are a couple of .243 Savages with the old style trigger. The long action working gun has Leupold mounts and a 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner. It's trigger has stayed put at 3.5# since I adjusted it 12 years ago.
    The short action Steven's trigger is set at 4# and it has Weaver bases, Chinese rings, and whatever scope I want to test.
    Both are 1moa shooters. 3.5# is as light as I could go without occasional uncocking on bolt closure. I shellacked all adjustment screws afterward. Hope this helps!
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

some of the older triggers are adjustable. You have to figure out which one you have.

Boolit Buddy
    If your going to use glass sights spend as much as you can and double it.

Boolit Master
    Savage 110 is adjustable, google will find instructions ,got mine to 3.5lbs .use a burris 3x9x40 on mine can see holes in paper ok to 150 yards. put a rifle basic trigger on mine now 2.5lb pull .its worth cleaning the bolt if you get misfires but they out shoot most peoples ability.

I'd just keep it simple , weaver bases ,weaver rings and a nice used 4x or 6x steel tube weaver scope it's a simple no frills hunting rifle and they do a good job at that .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

My savage 110 - 7 mag has Burris self centering rings on Burris bases. It has a 3-9x40 Leupold on it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Thank you everyone for all the replies. Well I went on the hunt today for either a mount or scope. Found a scope at a local gun shop. A real nice condition Weaver K10 60-C2 with fine crosshairs. I'll just say that I was blessed on the deal. It's not what I want but it'll get me shooting right now. Anyone have opinion on this particular model scope?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thank you everyone for all the replies. Well I went on the hunt today for either a mount or scope. Found a scope at a local gun shop. A real nice condition Weaver K10 60-C2 with fine crosshairs. I'll just say that I was blessed on the deal. It's not what I want but it'll get me shooting right now. Anyone have opinion on this particular model scope?
    Is yours like this one? Plenty of tube length here! Mine is flawless and it has been moved from this 22-250 to my Mauser 30-30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Fine crosshair is nice on paper or dogs but in the woods or thickets Fines
    will prove less than optimum.
    But it will do the job as long as the light and conditions allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Is yours like this one? Plenty of tube length here! Mine is flawless and it has been moved from this 22-250 to my Mauser 30-30.
    Yes sir, Appears to be identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    Fine crosshair is nice on paper or dogs but in the woods or thickets Fines will prove less than optimum.
    But it will do the job as long as the light and conditions allow it.
    Yes sir, I know this. I was actually on the hunt for a base that would allow the cheap tasco I have to fit, but happened upon the scope for a real nice price. Figured it'd get me shooting instead of waiting. Whenever I find one that suits me better for the field, i'll either keep this one for a target rifle or more likely sell it.

If you are nterested, there is a SavageShooters forum that has a lifetime of 110/ 111 info on it. How to adjust some of the older triggers.

The gunsmith said my gun was probably from the 90s, and probably had an adjustable trigger, although he didnt take the stock off to verify that latter. I have taken the stock off, but I aint sure what im looking at. I havent done any research on the differences yet, but I will.

I'll give the savage shooters forum a look, thanks gumbo.

I mounted the scope using cheap Weaver rings from walmart. I had enough tube length, but none to spare on the front end. I'd guess the eye relief of the K10 aint extra long, but I didnt get the wife measure it for me.

I did some research on bases and scopes, thinking I can go one of 2 ways. Either get another scope with a lot of tube length or change the mounts to either Leupold 2 piece bases with extension rings or one of various one piece bases. I dont want a 1 piece base, and the leupold website isnt showing the 2 piece bases for my model. I've emailed them.

For the scopes that I think will work with out changing the mounts, Im looking at either the old Weaver K4, or a Leupold M8 4x. Just looking at the pictures of them I think they'd be close. Anyone have one of these scopes and can measure the tube for me, id appreciate it.

It was raining today, so I didnt get a chance to sight it in. I took it out between sprinkles at my short range by the house and shot 1 round so I could check the brass and whatnot. It failed to eject. It extracted but the casing popped off the bolt head before the case was clear of the receiver. I figured it was a weak extractor spring, and took it apart to look. I didnt see anything, and as I was going to call savage anyways for to look up the age and get a manual, I asked about an extractor spring.

They are sending me the spring, detent, and an extractor, and a manual for no charge. Is that the way Savage customer service normally runs?

My rifle was built Feb 12, 1996.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast