Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110 and scope suggestions

Moderator Emeritus

I had one from the 70's. No adjustments on the trigger but it would shoot 165 hornadays and 4350 in one hole all day long. Friend cracked a 25-06 bbl at the front sight with book safe loads. Same loads were also shot in 2 remingtons with no ill effects.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I mounted the scope using cheap Weaver rings from walmart. I had enough tube length, but none to spare on the front end. I'd guess the eye relief of the K10 aint extra long, but I didnt get the wife measure it for me.

I did some research on bases and scopes, thinking I can go one of 2 ways. Either get another scope with a lot of tube length or change the mounts to either Leupold 2 piece bases with extension rings or one of various one piece bases. I dont want a 1 piece base, and the leupold website isnt showing the 2 piece bases for my model. I've emailed them.

For the scopes that I think will work with out changing the mounts, Im looking at either the old Weaver K4, or a Leupold M8 4x. Just looking at the pictures of them I think they'd be close. Anyone have one of these scopes and can measure the tube for me, id appreciate it.
    You got it. 6" of useable tube on a 1960's Weaver K-4F. 2-1/4" between the objective bell and the adjustment boss.

After I cleaned the extractor assembly and put it back together it's been functioning fine. Guess it just had some grit in the wrong spot.

I got her sighted in today. Rough sighted at least, spot on at my 70 yard range. I made two groups, three shots each. Cheap Monrch 150 gr sp ammo and Winchester power point 150 gr ammo both gave less than 1 1/2 groups, with the Winchester showing the best. From a cold barrel the first shot was bout an inch higher than the other two which touched. Not definative at all but promising to some degree. I must add, I wasn't shooting my best today, nor was the conditions the best at 45ish degrees and overcast.

Here she is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	234289Click image for larger version. 

Views:	50 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	234290

I like it. No feed problems with the staggered blind magazine. A fixed 6x would look and perform good on it.

I do like the simplicity and ruggedness of a fixed power scope. I'm thinking 4x but I'd be open to a 6x if I ran across it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my stock is free floated. It doesn't appear to be altered, not bedded or anything.

Bazoo, what kind of woods are you hunting in primarly? If you are not into long range sniping the fixed 4x Leupold is a great scope for your rifle. They are a tough little scope that doesn't overpower the rifles balance and appearance. I've had several old style K4 Weavers and they were nowhere as reliable or as bright as the Leupold OR the new Weaver K4 for that matter. I have been told that the new K4 is a bright durable scope. I drug a M77 Ruger with a fixed 4x Leupold all over North America in rough riding jeeps and pick ups and even had my hard gun case fall off the top of the conveyor going up to the airplane cargo hold with my rifle in it (I saw it happen). When I got to Montana, she was still 2" high and dead center, right where I had it sighted in. A 3x9 might have done the same thing but I know my 4x did. I with you on the fixed power scopes that are not big enough to see the rings on Saturn! You have got a great rifle there, let us know how it shoots as you progress with this project.
    Last edited by murf205; 01-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Howdy murf, thank you for the comments. That's a neat story, thanks for sharing. One of the things I like about leupold is the warranty. As far as where I hunt, it's mixed between woods and fields. Not much over 150 yards are normally possible but usually half that.

I've tried to google this but I can't find anything on the waterproofness of the K10 or any of the K series for that matter. If I do end up hunting with it I want to be sure it'll take a soaking without damage. So can anyone verify that they are indeed waterproof?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I like it. No feed problems with the staggered blind magazine. A fixed 6x would look and perform good on it.
    Do the floor plate and removable mag savages have feed issues? I owned a 111 for a week or so till I swapped it some years back, it had a detatchable magazine. I don't remember anything about it other than it was plastic stocked and got traded off rather quickly.

Put that K10 in the bathtub. You'll find out quickly if it fails. The last two brand new bolt rifles that I've bought had plastic detachable mags. A Ruger American.243 Win and a Savage 10 Trophy Hunter in .223 Rem- both had problems feeding occasionally so down the road they went. I'm sure they were the exception but I still trust the blind mags I grew up with(700ADL and Mausers) the most.
    My brother borrowed my Rem 788 22-250 once and had it on a blanket in the back of his truck. Misadventure struck and he flipped his Datsun; sending my rifle sliding 80 yards down the paved road. The stock had road rash and the 1974 Weaver K6 had a gravel dent and scratches. I won't tell you it was still zeroed, but it was on the paper at 100 yards. Would an aluminum tube Leupold or Redfield have survived? I don't know- but that steel tube Weaver did. I like Leupolds, Redfield,Burris, and I have just bought an Oriental Weaver for my daughters AR. Like Murf, I don't like Hubbel scopes. I have a 4x12 on my 25-06 because it can USE it. Most all the others are fixed power!

That's a heck of a ride for a rifle Thomas, thanks for sharing that story.

Andy I do plan to replace it whenever finances allow it.

Boolit Grand Master

For hunting to 150 yds and under I would consider one of the fixed 1.5X or 2X scopes. These give a bigger field of view at closer ranges making finding the target and the actual placement easier. I have an old weaver 1.5X on my squirrel rifle that does great in the woods. Also a medium to large dot in a hunting scope shows up good in brush and on target.

You are probably going to have a hard time finding a straight 4x scope without going the used route. Ive been searching for a while today and it looks like Ebay and Gunbroker are the best bet but the world has caught on to the fact that pretty much nobody but Leupold makes a new 4x scope for a rifle and it is a good one but it is about $300 plus shipping. Even though Weaver list one on their website, every body has them back ordered for a while. I have a 3x9 Burris with a Plex (duplex) reticle on my 280 Rem 700 and it is not much, if any, larger than the 4x Leupold and they are $200. I can tell you that Burris Full Field II scopes hold their zero really well and they are as bright as a lot of scopes costing a lot more. I took mine to Alaska 4 yrs ago and even with the baggage goons slinging it around, it held its zero and it rained every day on the Kenai Peninsula and it never fogged or got moisture in it for a week. Something to ponder.
    Last edited by murf205; 01-19-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Bazoo, I sent you a PM

Boolit Master
    For 'short range' hunting have you considered a red dot? You can get a 3x multiplier for most of them if you need a little magnification.

If you want it to look it's age then I think your best route is to find a good used scope.

FWIW, I've banged around some cheap 3-9 scopes and they have not suffered. Thinking back on it I have never had a scope fail on me, and until this year I have never spent more than $100 on one.

I ended up buying an older bushnell sportview off the S&S section. See how that does, ultimately I'd like to find a used leupold fixed power down the road.

As for mounts I think I've decided to go with Leupold 2 piece rifleman bases. https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts...flat-rcvr-2-pc

I got the bushnell sportview in, got the leupold bases and Nikon A series rings from Academy. Academy was cheaper than anywhere I tried online oddly enough. I cleaned the receiver holes and screws with alcohol and mounted the bases using blue loctite. Got the scope aligned and tightened the rings down.

My first experiance using vertically split rings, so far I'm impressed. They feel much more secure than those cheap weaver rings. The Nikon A series rings are a touch skinnier than others I've compared which helps get my scope as far back as possible.

I have just the right eye relief. That's a real blessing with the long action and sticking with two piece bases.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	235031

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

My sons have 110s chambered in 30/06 they both shoot MOA with no problem. One of my sons and I are putting the action on a boyd stock really for just a project not because he was having a problem. The gun got left in a gun case that had moisture in it and that caused a lot of damage to the finish of the action so were going to also PC the barrel I think have not decided for sure as of yet. One thing we have noticed if the barrels are cleaned more then just a patch it takes 4 rounds before the rifle settles back down. So far its looking kind of good I may have to go pick up a 110 for a project.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I happened across a Savage 110 with a varmint barrel on it chambered in 30-06. Never saw one in that configuration before so it followed me home.
    With handloads that suit it, it does 1.5 inches at 200 yards. I think I will keep it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast