RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting same repeated flyer in groups

Boolit Master

Getting same repeated flyer in groups

I was trying to make a 220gr 2,000 fps load for my 30-06 and did some searching and figured 36gr 3031 would do it, also added .5gr dacron cause someone said they had problems without it. i made one just to test speed and got 2020. So i made 5 for a group, 4 went bottom left good group and one high right yawed nose pointed in that direction, i figured it was a bullets fault since i was using my sorted minor imperfection pile. Made 5 more from good pile and same exact thing happened. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20190115_155736.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	234034 dont know if the pic helps but in person the top right is clearly yawed. im confused how exactly one yaws and in the same spot everytime and the rest are good. Is this a coincidence or what?

For more info mold is new to me accurate 31-220lg powdercoated and gas checked, 2.5 antimony 1.5 tin air cooled, 22in 1-10 barrel. Previously i only tried 24gr 2400 and it was 1800fps no fliers or yawing but i wanted to hit 2k which led me here. Any ideas?

Boolit Master
    not sure what to try next, should I drop a grain or two and try again to make it easier on the lead?

Boolit Grand Master

I am going to say it's your lube at that speed. I had something very similar going on with my home brewed lube and the 7.62x54r, multiple groups on same target, 5th shot out every single time. I tried adding ATF helped, then paraffin and fliers went away but groups were 3 times size, tried working load back up to no joy. It is fixed now, PC and HBN no more.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Im not using lube though, I said powder coated and gas check.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe that's as good as that load will do at 2020 fps. Try 1950 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    bmortell,

Is the flier the first shot each time?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    no randomly in the middle, larry is probably right and im asking a hair to much atleast for this alloy and load. I don't want to try harder alloy cause I want this to become a hunting load with good expansion so ill just drop a grain and re try, can also try 1900's with sr4759 and see if that's better. but still the coincidence is strange in the groups.

Boolit Grand Master

Might try a slower burning powder such as 4350, RL19, 4831 or RL22 with the Dacron filler if load density is 80 or less %.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    water drop them and then do the same reloading as before.

I think that may solve your problem.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post
    water drop them and then do the same reloading as before.

I think that may solve your problem.
    I agree.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Try some 4831.....I used that with my Whelen and a 310 grain cast.....pure magic.

I have found that sheet rock makes the best Target for detecting bullet yaw. Good luck with your flyer I'm pulling for you,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Ok I missed that they are powder coated, try heat treating them. It seems strange that only one out of every five does it though, but with mine as a lube problem it was the 5th shot always not random.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

As Larry Gibson said try adjusting powder up or down a little, also try adjusting your seating depth. Are you cooling the barrel between shots? Since this is a hunting load your first one or two shots are the most important.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cast bullets....played with a .308 for a while and gave up on using cast in a high velocity rifle. A very circuitous route to achieve the desired destination.

Expansion, accuracy and velocity.

I would add H4895 as a possible powder. It looks like you may be accelerating the bullet too fast. Something slower than 3031 should help if that is the issue.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    well first 3 people said heat treat them after I said im needing this to be a hunting load with good expansion. I guess I was misleading because originally I basically said I want a 2k fps load with acceptable accuracy, but the thing is I shot a deer with this alloy 30-06 with 1800 mv at 100yds and it didn't expand till it hit bone and still recovered bullet. so I bought a heavy mold for more penetration and i want to raise the speed slightly for expansion. so sorry if I was confusing, harder bullet would be counter productive even if it fixes accuracy.

my goal is to use the projectiles as is and get them as close to 2k as I can with deer accuracy to 150yd max, I just cant have some visibly yawed because a bit further it may be way off.

so back to business, 2 people said 4831 and I have a pound of imr4831 that I don't use, my cast book don't list any slower than 3031 in 30-06 even though in other 30's it has 4831 listed to surprisingly low pressures. I searched a bit and it seems 40-42 gr is what works for others but they don't list speed is that around the correct amount for my speed? otherwise id have to extrapolate the right amount based on listed loads for 300mag.

You are a candidate for paper patching. Your bullet over 52 grains of IMR 4350 will get you 2400 fps more or less with reasonable accuracy and no leading. This load might work with your bullet as is, don't know.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Update: i found a quickload chart someone posted before for 311284 with all powders at 2000 fps for a 23in barrel and it said 48.6gr h4831 thought i had imr but anyway tried it and measured 1960fps. Made 5 for a group and got 1.6 MOA all stable. Also set up 8 inches of soaked phone books followed by 3 gallon jugs and hit it with one reduced 1 grain at 10 yds heres the results. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20190116_164140.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	234076 went through everything except the back wall of last jug had a dent, bullet measures .77 and lost 35gr in fragments but im sure a real shot at 75 yds would be slower so should be perfect. Thanks for the slow powder advice

and to dan cash im gonna try patching it for my 300wm, the 3006 loads i make are for family members and im scared if i give em patched ammo theyd be meatheads and scrunch the paper up during loading or something so PC'd is better atleast for my mind.
    Last edited by bmortell; 01-16-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good for you. I don't put much faith in one 5 shot group at 50 yds though, that's just me. I usually grab a dozen or so flyers from the super market or video store, turn them over and paste a bull on the back, shoot a half dozen groups checking for fliers and average group size.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Good start, but I agree with swheeler you have more testing to do.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast