RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: 311 410 for hunting

Boolit Buddy

311 410 for hunting

Has anyone used the 311 410 boolit for hunting? If so, how did it do?

Boolit Master

Softer lead and one of these will go a long way.
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog.../5170/inline/1
    You can find used trimmers on e-bay or ss from time to time.

Moderator Emeritus

It put a nice hole in a jackrabbit but it didn't kill as quickly as I hoped.

Edit: Looking at pictures that has a much larger meplate than the old mold I had. It hardly had enough room on the meplate to have a HP pin.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 01-17-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I have the MP mold and cast hollow points with it. I was wondering if any deer or hogs have been taken with this boolit.

311 410 for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    I have the MP mold and cast hollow points with it. I was wondering if any deer or hogs have been taken with this boolit.
    2 European red deer bucks (both went 20meters) and one fox, DRT. middle length HP pin with pure lead GC and PC. 300BlK, 1150fps,
    exit

Don’t use long HP pin (deep HP) on bigger game, its perfect for fox, coyotes but after 1150 fps it will shred no matter alloy and you don’t have much of a bullet left to exit on bigger game as whitetail etc.
    Blue-pure lead middle length HP, black 5%tin,green 10%tin deep HP at 1150fps.

Deep HP at 1575fps.
    311410, versatile, accurate- love it

Boolit Buddy
    Fantastic! Thanks Gamsec! The deep hp should make a great varmint boolit!

Boolit Master

I have shot a few hogs with the deep hollowpoint 311410, but they were subsonic. They retained most of there mass after hitting bone, but did open up very well at 1000fps. Alloy was air cooled range scrap, about 10-11 bhn

Boolit Grand Master

In the late '60s I had a 311410HP mould I cast the bullets out of COWWs and loaded them for use in my M1 Carbine. Some years later I got an Oehler chronograph and found the loads were running just under 1600 fps. I killed 2 black tail deer with that load and shot several coyotes ad jack rabbits. I was not impressed at all with the terminal effects and went to using jacketed 100 - 110 gr Hornady and Speer SPs at full throttle of 1900 - 1950 fps. They did much better. It wasn't until I went to using a GC 311316 cast a bit softer and GP'd with a 1/8" Forster HP tool that I became satisfied with cast bullet terminal effectiveness. About the same time I also picked up a 311041HP mould for use in a 30-30, then a .308W and an '06. It was with both bullets I refined over the years my appreciation for a properly cast and HP'd 30 caliber bullet for hunting deer, coyotes and jack rabbits.

I see the GB 311410 is GC'd which is excellent. Had that 411410HP I had years ago been GC'd so I could drive it to it's accuracy and velocity I might have had better results and a better opinion of it.potential
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I've shot the #311410 bullet for years in several different Ruger Blackhawks but just a little different than everyone else. My loads have been very effective on lots of Jackrabbits, rock chucks & a couple of coyotes because I use a different top punch when I size them. Instead of using the proper top punch I switch to a style that gives me a flat nose #311410 without going to a lighter weight HP. I haven't tried them on deer & won't although I'm sure they would be fine at reasonable distance, I have other guns more suitable for deer.
    These bullets, powder coated & with the added flat nose cycle every time & are much more effective than the standard RN. You see them in the photo with a RN in the middle. The group is 2 different loads at 50 yds out the window of my truck. The second group is right at 1", I can live with that.

Dick

Few more details/pics since I was playing with this bullet from 2016 when I first got 2cav HP PB, then 4cav HP GC moulds. I hunted a bit with it in 2018.

Left 311410-Pure with 5%tin from 1050fps to 1200fps into soaked soft paper

311 410 for hunting

And 311410 with GC
    4.5grs TrailBoss-subsonic,
    Blue is pure, black pure+5%tin, green is pure+10%tin, pistol primer

6grs of TrailBoss at 50m, col=50mm, different alloy, copper GC 3x, alu 1x,
    10 shoots per group, slightly above 1” , velocity in meters per second

Tried 2 at 480m/s, 16grs N120, hit 20cm higher, all one big hole

311 410 for hunting

this was in 2017, different pistol primer
    And it kills well too with 1150fps

Hope it helps

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for all the information! Looks like this will be a good "do all" bullet.

Boolit Master
    Is this what they call park deer?
    Referring to some of the larger rook and rabbit rifle rounds.
    Thnx

Boolit Master
    My 30/30's like that boolit. I load it to about 1350 fps with no leading problems at all using trail boss powder. It is extremely effective on coyotes out to 150 yards (my shots are usually well under 50 yards). I used it to good effect (DRT) on a 100# young black tail deer buck at 30 yards a couple months back while hunting birds with my Savage 24V O/U 30/30 over 20 ga. I would not intentionally go out deer hunting with that projectile at that low velocity but it will work. If that is a roe deer buck pictured, it is a beauty. I will bet it is good eating. A roe deer is on my bucket list. I recently acquired a 30 cal Mihec mold in 130 gr that is convertible from hollow point to flat point taking gas check and much prefer it using the same low velocity load.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 02-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Gamsek, Some really good pictures & information here....
    (R)