Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Boolits Cast in One Session

Boolit Master
    I checked my coffee can situation , I need to get to it , and cast some 45s , 38s , and 9s while it's cold out side . I have been playing around with cast boolits in rifles this year in smaller amounts of 100--3 or 400 hundred at a time .
    In the cold months I generally stock up cast handgun boolits , and it's gotten cold now . Plus I have neglected making empty brass with my hand guns this fall .

Boolit Man
    I cast when I'm low on something. My pot holds 22lb so I cast it almost dry with whatever mold I'm using. What is in the pile when I'm done is the product for that session. When casting 230 gr about 620 bullets. When casting 60 gr about 2400 bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Ain't it the truth though...my wife wonders why I run my fingers though a pile of cast bullets and smile...I tell her it's the same reason I put my hands on my hips and smile after mowing the lawn!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    It’s the next best thing to running your fingers through gold coins.

Boolit Grand Master

You know I never kept count. We cast for the PD with 2 H and G gang moulds and ran through 40-50 pounds of lead at a session, usually with one casting and one size and lube with a star outfit. Had the moulds hung by springs from the ceiling of the shop.

Boolit Master

I run 2 2 cavity molds at a time and stop after about 30lbs of accumulation.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

I enjoy casting a do own a Lyman 65 pot but usually sit in the driveway and do more casting over a propane burner and ladle pour using 1 and 2 cavity molds. I can get out about 600 to 800 before my back gives out. A couple of months ago I got my first 6 cavity mold a Lee 356-125-RN set down and started ladle pouring and got into a groove and the boolits fell like rain by the time I stopped I had about 2500 poured. Lubed 100 up and load and shot them the next day and they weren't worth squat in my pistol. 8 inch groups at 20 yards with 40 percent key holing Arrrggghhh!!!

Too long at the casting bench

I usually cast once or twice a year with my Lee 10 pound bottom pour electric furnace.
    I purchased a lot of wheel weight lead muffins several years ago from an older gentleman that was doing an estate sale before he passed. It was a good deal for me and hunting partner. We got 6 steel buckets (5 gallon) and several tin cookie tins for $85 asking price. The buckets were full so took two of us with a 4 foot 2X4 to load and unload from my truck.
    I cast 40 pounds of 230gr 0.452" using a Lee 6 hole mold and 10 pounds of 0.429" 265gr using a Lee 2 hole mold. Also made 10 pounds of 0.562" RB for the musket.
    It was about 4 hours of casting with bathroom breaks when pot was reheating, and a few more hours after lunch. It was a long day. I weighed the cast boolits cold on the bathroom scales after all done. Bottom line, too long a day.
    It's time to cast more now. I just got two new molds (0.312" Lee 2 hole and a 0.338" Lee 2 hole)
    Working up 223Rem range pickup brass now. Lots to go before jack rabbits in the high desert (east side of Oregon) gets going. Lee mold 55gr and powder coating.
    It's great to be retired.
    Dave
    Western Oregon
    smilin jack

Boolit Master
    I was laid up with a broke leg. I ran 2 number cans of .358429. single cavity mold.

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    I got a deal on a solid 150 pound block of lead. Found a pot big enough for the lead. Fired up the turkey fryer.
    Not sure how many were cast, but ended up with a pile of 9, 357, 40 and 44s.
    Last time I will do that.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I cast a 10lb pot and that is all I can handle As for how many it depends on the boolit I cast. But the pot is all I do at a time and call it good. When I am low on some I cast a pot.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    JBinMn. That’s a good idea drilling holes in the spoon to remove dross. First time I’ve heard of it. How big are the holes ?
    I was busy yesterday afternoon trying to get the handicap deal to hang on my rear view mirror since they "lost" my paperwork, so I was unable to respond sooner.

Below is a pic of the spoon, the spoon on my "furnace & casting table" & along with that a pic of the whole caboodle, furnace table & all. I took them this afternoon. The whole set up is messy since I have just put everything just inside the big garage door & left it since I cast last. I will have to look when I post the pics, but the "hot pots" that I use are off to the right of the furnace/casting table, sitting on a metal folding TV tray. with some other stuff.

Anyway, Here are the pics( I have no idea why they are 90 degrees off from how I took them. This forum has the problem, not me & I don't feel like messing around trying to get them right. It Ticks me off that I would have to do it...):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0571.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	234189 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0575.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	234190
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	234191

Hope that helps out.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    We’ve all been at 10 boolits... keep on truckin...
    l did ''15'' once

Boolit Master

I have a Lyman Mag 20 & a RCBS Pro-Melt. 30yrs ago I would set each one on each end of a picnic table. With a Hot Plate in between. I cast using 3 4cav Lyman molds. When one pot emptied down to the last inch of Lead, I would put the molds onto the hot plate. I then refilled the "empty" pot. I would then start casting from the full pot.
    I was in my early thirties and was young and eager.
    Switching back and forth form pot to pot, I cast about 17,000 bullets in a Looong very tiring day. I ended up with about 15,500 odd bullets, a bit less then 9% rejects.

I was so sore & exhausted, that I called in sick for the next 2 days

These days I can cast 2 pots of lead using 4-6 cavity molds. I get 550-650 bullets after culling.

I ain't what I used to be.
    Last edited by Walks; 01-20-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Auto-correct
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123