Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scales, an old man's ramblings.

Boolit Bub

I love the camera and monitor idea for viewing the beam pointer better, will have to do that for myself.

I have had and tried at least 6 beam scales and when digital scales came out I had to try them also. I believe I had tried 5 digitals but have always gone back to the beams. An old Ohaus 10-10 is my go to. The digitals all drift from zero and fail to return to zero consistently for me.

Yes it is one of the scales damping magnets.

Look at the underside of the scale's housing and hopefully you will see a 2 screws at each end of housing. One on the pivot end and the other on the pointer end. The 2 magnets are supposed to live at the pointer end. There is a thin metal strip held in place by screw. I suspect that screw is loose and the metal strip has moved or twisted and allow the magnet to fall out.

Where did you find a new Ohaus 10-10?
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngtimer View Post
    I love the camera and monitor idea for viewing the beam pointer better, will have to do that for myself.

It's easy to do and makes a big difference - eliminated all parallax error.

A cheap usb webcam $7'ish, an OTG cable $2, a free app and an android phone will have you up and running. Or even easier and will work with any smart phone or tablet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqE3kodO8Y&t=52s

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    Yes it is one of the scales damping magnets.

Look at the underside of the scale's housing and hopefully you will see a 2 screws at each end of housing. One on the pivot end and the other on the pointer end. The 2 magnets are supposed to live at the pointer end. There is a thin metal strip held in place by screw. I suspect that screw is loose and the metal strip has moved or twisted and allow the magnet to fall out.

Where did you find a new Ohaus 10-10?
    I bought a scale on e-bay. some are found! But I spent almost 50% more on the original price between shipping and especially for the taxes that Italy puts!
    When looking at the scale from below I see that there is a dark piece (GREEN ARROW) and I think it is a magnet (a small piece of iron remains attached).

If I understand correctly, the other magnet should be inserted where there is the red arrow or in another place? If so, how should the second magnet be fixed?
    Or should you put only one and the second magnet that I found outside the original box is a spare part?
    In fact it is impossible that the piece could have come out of the scale (it was closed with its plastic cover fixed to the cast-iron frame with a plastic sheet) and out of the cardboard box!

Thanks for the reply

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    Sorry but what is the difference between OHAUS 10-10 and RCBS 10-10?
    The RCBS is no longer in production, it seems to me!
    I took a new Ohaus 10-10 on E-Bay and should arrive in Italy in a few days.
    The price was $ 131.86 (€ 115.57) and with shipping (€ 15.61) + taxes (€ 28.38), I paid a total of € 159.56.
    The RCBS, however, cost almost double (€ 279.00 !!!) + shipping, but it is no longer available!
    I would like to know if anyone knows what is the difference between OHAUS and RCBS.
    Thank you
    Not trying to be glib but the only difference I ever saw was the color.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy

I put the magnet that I found in the envelope in the seat indicated by the red arrow in the previous photo. It stands still because by magnetic force, it attracts the body of the iron scale.
    IS IT CORRECT IN THIS WAY?

Last edited by airone46; 01-21-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, that the correct way round.

Boolit Buddy
    Grazie!!!!

Boolit Master
    My evolution of scales over the past 44 years:

Began with an Ohaus 505, used it for 40+ years.

Bought a cheap digital, did not like all the hokey pokey then a early RCBS (Pact) unit that has a dispenser and the scale linked by an optical port on their respective sides. SLOW!

About 4 years ago I bought a 510 RCBS, right on the heals a 1010 RCBS.

THEN I missed a 304 but nano hairs!

I went to Craigslist and another popped up in the upper Midwest and for a hefty price I snagged it.

Yes, they (304) are that sweet and at Sixty something it is nice to not have to tilt my head and twist my neck to have a level look at the pointer!

My 510 and 1010 are waiting for my nephews. They can fight over the 304 when I leave this existence!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 01-22-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16c2vlk.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	234494

airone46 your photo looks exactly like my Ohaus 10-10 magnet locations. I didn't realize, as you pointed out, that the magnet actually attached themselves to each of the metal plates. So you got it right despite my directions.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Can anyone explain how the approach to weight spring, that long thin metal strip where the free floating end lays between the two magnets, actually works?

The end of this spring can be seen in airone46 photo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15rz7l2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	234495

Boolit Buddy
    The approach to weight spring is fitted on both the RCBS/Ohaus 5-10 and the 10/10 (also on the Lee safety scale), it serves two functions.
    On a scale without a ATW system such as the 505 the copper damper plate rests on the bottom of the damper slot and the beam will not move until within about two grains of the desired weight, this might be a problem if you are trickling fast as it's easy to overshoot your desired weight. With an ATW, when the beam is at its rest position with no pan the copper blade is resting on the spring, this means the beam will start to lift at 5-10 grains (it's adjusted by a grub screw near the knife edges). By the time the beam has lifted about 1/4 inch it is free of the spring and it has no influence.

So basically it gives the beam a smooth lift from 5 grains or so rather than a sharp lift from 2 grains. It also eliminates the beam from "sticking" to the bottom of the damper slot and causing the beam to jump up when trickling.

Also handy, when you throw an initial charge, to know you are only 3-4 grains short - on a scale without ATW it might not be easy with some powder/measure combinations to indicate anything if you're just below it's rest position.

Here's a system I fitted to a Hornady scale (works on gravity)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Love my beam scales too - Not quite sure how many I have just at the moment, more than 30 anyway. I have ones with no damping, oil damping and magnetic damping. One of my favourites is a nice Webster oil damped scale - very nicely made and still working as well as it ever did. My "every day" scale is a Lyman M5.

That set up using our phone or computer to see the scale in great! My eyes are not what they used to be and that looks like the answer. Being computer and phone challenged I would really like to learn how that is done and what components are needed. Any chance for some instruction?

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    That set up using our phone or computer to see the scale in great! My eyes are not what they used to be and that looks like the answer. Being computer and phone challenged I would really like to learn how that is done and what components are needed. Any chance for some instruction?
    Don't get sucked into a high-tec-solution to a problem that doesn't exist...solve your problems with something that's prolly in the bottom of your junk drawer already...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    The very easiest way is just with any smart phone - I show how to do it about half way through this video. HERE

The next easiest way is with a PC or laptop (I know zero about Macs/Iphones)
    With a PC or laptop you can just plug in a USB camera like this: HERE

Depending on your laptop or PC you may need a host program for the camera, this is a free one with no extra rubbish attached. HERE

The camera I have linked to works well and has an adjustable focus down to a couple of inches.

The cameras also run on most android tablets, but not all - you will need a free app HERE

To run a camera on an android phone or tablet you will need an OTG cable to convert the standard USB plug on the camera to a mini USB on the tablet or phone.

HERE

I've used the same system here for a spotting scope for 10 metre airpistol shooting:
    Last edited by 1066; 01-22-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: repair link

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123