Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scales, an old man's ramblings.

"outstanding!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    My most used scale is a Pacific, of early 80's vintage,also have a RCBS 304, but it takes up more bench space so doesn't get used as much. One of my scales which I find indespensible, is an Ohaus triple beam balance with a capacity of 5lb 2oz, that I use to weight lead ingots, monotype and tin to get consistant bullet alloys. They are common on Ebay, and at decent prices

Boolit Master
    I am enjoying this topic very much.

I am using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale I got back in the mid 80's. I bought a FA digital for a backup & something I can take out in the field with the handpress & what else I need to load in the field if I want, but I prefer the beam scale. Just don't want to take it out & chance messing it up. So the FA goes instead. It runs close enough for what I want it to do.

I am a bit different than most , I am thinking, since I weigh every single throw of powder no matter which powder measure I use. So, the beam scale gets a work out. If something happened to it, I would be getting another beam scale ASAP. I have the FA as a temporary backup, but I the beam scale is what I would call a "must have", for me.

I also got a RCBS check weight kit a while back just to make sure that everything stays as it should. I was using some different jacketed bullets as check weights, but I decided to get a dedicated kit for checking.

I would certainly like to have a couple more beam scales, but due to limited income now a days, I will just have to keep on plodding along with the one I have.

That said, it is why I like to see the posts & pics in this topic to see what all of the rest of you have & are using.

Thanks for sharing what you use!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Started with the 5-10 when I first started reloading—late 60’s or early 70’s. I got it with an RCBS Rockchucker Kit and it is a good ol’ buddy that worked well for me in the beginning and likely would be good today…

Got the Lyman 500, and RCBS Rangemaster when I purchased entire reloading packages from private individuals. I use neither very often, but the Rangemaster seldom—only for weighing boolits—too dang fussy to adjust etc. for power usage in my opinion…

I use the Lee rarely also as I got it from a Lee kit I purchase to take to my Cabin in the Woods where I fine tune loads that I have put together at my home. I also have another Lee scale there and it is DANGEROUS as far as I am concerned. It likely is their least expensive model—it is basically a paper weight. (I use the Lee press at the Cabin and I let them there. If someone breaks into my Cabin, they don’t get a heck of a lot—although I am not bashing Lee—the stuff at my Cabin works O.K.)

And finally, the scale that sets on my reloading bench in my basement—the RCBS 304. A pricey scale I purchased years ago when I likely didn’t have enough money to buy it, but I never regretted it as it is an amazing scale—would not hope to purchase anything better…

(NyFirefighter357, my 304 box looks exactly like yours--a bit faded and tattered around the edges!)

Good-luck…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM0648.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I have used several different scales in the last 50 + years of reloading and always seem to come back to the RCBS 505 but then it's just another old man's rambling.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry but what is the difference between OHAUS 10-10 and RCBS 10-10?
    The RCBS is no longer in production, it seems to me!
    I took a new Ohaus 10-10 on E-Bay and should arrive in Italy in a few days.
    The price was $ 131.86 (€ 115.57) and with shipping (€ 15.61) + taxes (€ 28.38), I paid a total of € 159.56.
    The RCBS, however, cost almost double (€ 279.00 !!!) + shipping, but it is no longer available!
    I would like to know if anyone knows what is the difference between OHAUS and RCBS.
    Thank you

USMC 77, USRA 79

Here is my old gurl...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-FF40-F4-A-3-B86-494-B-8351-6-F83921-CA4-B9.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	234119

A man named Denny gave this to me when he got me started reloading back in the mid 70’s. It was already very vintage when he gave it to me, but felt it important to teach me how to use balance scales. Denny has been gone for more then 30 years, but I do keep it around in it tin box. It’s a Wells, and was never intended for powder scale I don’t think, but Denny’s lesson was to improvise, and use what you got. A lesson that still sticks with me.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I started with a Pacific oil dampened scale I bought directly from Hornady in about '71, I used it for 20 years till I purchased the magnetic version. Not long after I picked up another one NIB at a flea market for almost nothing. A couple of old Redding's and another Hornady and Lyman was picked up along the way but I gave them to friends that were starting to reload.

I purchased the first oil scales on advice from someone that reloaded but as I later learned didn't know how they worked. I was too young to know the difference and I guess he didn't know much more than I did.

Not long ago I found a 502 and an Ohaus Dial-O-Grain 3100 at an estate sale, both for $40. The 3100 is not as convenient as the 304 but it is still a grain scale. I don't use it much but do enjoy taking it out it occasionally.

While discussing scales with one of my friends I mentioned that I liked the 3 poise of the 505 better than the 2 poise on the 502. He traded me a beam off a 505 he found in a box of reloading parts he found. I got out my check weights and set the beam up on the 502 base, seems they are the same base. Anyway it worked out fine and it is as accurate as the 502 beam, maybe a little better.

I past needing another set 30 years ago.
    Just another old guy rambling.
    Have fun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    Sorry but what is the difference between OHAUS 10-10 and RCBS 10-10?
    The RCBS is no longer in production, it seems to me!
    I took a new Ohaus 10-10 on E-Bay and should arrive in Italy in a few days.
    The price was $ 131.86 (€ 115.57) and with shipping (€ 15.61) + taxes (€ 28.38), I paid a total of € 159.56.
    The RCBS, however, cost almost double (€ 279.00 !!!) + shipping, but it is no longer available!
    I would like to know if anyone knows what is the difference between OHAUS and RCBS.
    Thank you
    Years ago, they were one-in-the-same. The exception being labels and color. Both manufactured by Ohaus in the US. I am unable to confirm this, but I believe current production of the 10-10 has been offshored, so it is likely not identical to the US made 10-10 that was discontinued a few years ago.

In fact, the 10-10 is not listed on the Ohaus website from what I can find. So the origin of the current 10-10 is murky. I've been curious for a while, so I left a message at Ohaus to clarify whether the 10-10 listed for sale at Amazon is authentically Ohaus, and if it is made in the US. I'll report back what i find if they return my message.

EDIT (sorry for the thread drift):

I received a call back from a very polite lady from Ohaus. The 10-10 is not catalogued by Ohaus any longer. So the few remaining available for sale look to be the last of a run of Chinese made units.

They have re-introduced the 5-0-5 and 5-0-2. She sent me data sheets on those, but their website hasn't been updated yet. Also made in China.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 01-17-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Years ago, they were one-in-the-same. The exception being labels and color. Both manufactured by Ohaus in the US. I am unable to confirm this, but I believe current production of the 10-10 has been offshored, so it is likely not identical to the US made 10-10 that was discontinued a few years ago.

In fact, the 10-10 is not listed on the Ohaus website from what I can find. So the origin of the current 10-10 is murky. I've been curious for a while, so I left a message at Ohaus to clarify whether the 10-10 listed for sale at Amazon is authentically Ohaus, and if it is made in the US. I'll report back what i find if they return my message.

EDIT (sorry for the thread drift):

I received a call back from a very polite lady from Ohaus. The 10-10 is not catalogued by Ohaus any longer. So the few remaining available for sale look to be the last of a run of Chinese made units.

They have re-introduced the 5-0-5 and 5-0-2. She sent me data sheets on those, but their website hasn't been updated yet. Also made in China.
    You're quite right about recent RCBS/Ohaus scales being manufactured elsewhere. Around 10 years or so ago they switched all production to either Mexico or China, unfortunately it's very difficult to tell where your scale was actually made - they all say "Manufactured by Ohaus - NJ USA" cast in the base. The only sure way to tell is if you have the original cardboard box - I actually says "made in China/Mexico" on the box.

RCBS dropped all their then current range about 4-5 years ago, the 502,505 and 10/10. They then introduced two new beam scales, the M500 and the M1000, both made in China.

I've not heard that Ohaus are re-introducing the 502 and 505 - I'll believe it when I see it. The 10/10's currently on offer are manufactured in China, presumably at the same factory where they were being produced for Ohaus.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a grand old 304 I tricked up some time ago - still doing its stuff well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGThfOYsrA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    You're quite right about recent RCBS/Ohaus scales being manufactured elsewhere. Around 10 years or so ago they switched all production to either Mexico or China, unfortunately it's very difficult to tell where your scale was actually made - they all say "Manufactured by Ohaus - NJ USA" cast in the base. The only sure way to tell is if you have the original cardboard box - I actually says "made in China/Mexico" on the box.

RCBS dropped all their then current range about 4-5 years ago, the 502,505 and 10/10. They then introduced two new beam scales, the M500 and the M1000, both made in China.

I've not heard that Ohaus are re-introducing the 502 and 505 - I'll believe it when I see it. The 10/10's currently on offer are manufactured in China, presumably at the same factory where they were being produced for Ohaus.
    Here is a link for the 5-0-5. A search on Amazon will find the 502 as well. PM me if you want a copy of the data sheet from Ohaus that was emailed to me today. Hopefully these work as well as the originals. The selection of USA made beam scales is getting thinner.

https://www.amazon.com/OHAUS-3039327...rch&th=1&psc=1
    Last edited by Taterhead; 01-17-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That's interesting, thanks for the link..looks like RCBS will continue to offer only the M500 and M1000 and Ohaus will offer the "new" 502 and 505.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    That's interesting, thanks for the link..looks like RCBS will continue to offer only the M500 and M1000 and Ohaus will offer the "new" 502 and 505.
    It is interesting. Business dealings, being fluid as they are. I've wondered about the Dillon beam scale that I've suspected to be an Ohaus make with a different frame than the 505. The other parts look identical.

Boolit Buddy
    You're right. The beams are interchangeable. All the Dillon Eliminators I've seen over the last five years or so have been made in Mexico with pretty variable quality.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Yeah Firefighter, thats the one I mentioned in post #8. That one is a real beauty!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Yeah Firefighter, thats the one I mentioned in post #8. That one is a real beauty!
    Yea, that one is a bit cleaner than mine (post # 24), so I might just spend a bit of time today and see if I can remove some of the grim on it after nearly 40 years on the bench...

My cover fell apart...

Firefighter, do you still have the gray cover for yours?...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master
    The cover was missing when I bought it. I may either make a cloth cover or a light weight hard cover. I have some thin plexi-glass that may provide better protection.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    The cover was missing when I bought it. I may either make a cloth cover or a light weight hard cover. I have some thin plexi-glass that may provide better protection.
    Yea, I thought of doing the same...

I checked with RCBS many many years ago and they said it was not available anymore...

Oh well...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Buddy
    I have just received the OHAUS 10-10 scale (NEW NO USED!).
    Inside the shipment envelope I found a small magnet that I do not know what it is.scale very firmly and I had some little difficulties to open the cover (is plastic cover!) and assemble it.
    For this reason it is impossible that this magnet could be detached from the scale and come out!
    Please can somebody tell me what it is?

Thank you

This is the magnet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast