RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lyman lock problem

Lyman lock problem

Having a problem with the new Lyman GPR lock.
    With the original lock in place everything works good with the lock. I can fire it with the triggers set or unset.
    When I place the new replacement lock in the rifle it will fire only in the set position. Unset will not release the hammer.
    I had to remove some wood at the brindle area and it is seated good.
    Can someone tell me what is my problem exactly?

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by stick View Post
    Can someone tell me what is my problem exactly?
    Since I don't have the gun here to look at, I can only guess about your problem. However, I have done several lock replacements where set triggers were involved, and I believe you will need to deepen the set-trigger mortice to get the trigger to engage. Since it seems to work when the trigger is "set", I suspect deepening the inletting at the rear may solve your problem. Most likely the sear bar of your new lock sits a bit higher than that of your old lock. You might have someone locally who has experience with M/L rifle building to take a look at it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Remove the lock and take a look at the search hole when you pull the trigger without being set. I suspect that what curator is saying is probably the issue and that the triggers need to be insetted just a kosh more. Before removing any wood though - check to see just how high the trigger is moving up to engage the sear.

Set triggers have to be correctly positioned in regards to the sear location - too far forward or too far back will result with issues. These are production rifles so technically, they should all be the same and parts interchangeable - yeah, right!

I once repaired an original many many years ago that was missing the lock. It was a decent half-stock Ohio style with double set triggers. I found a lock that I could fit to the rifle without having to do much and the throw of the lock was perfect for the gun. Only problem, once I had the lock installed - had the same problem as you are experiencing. To solve it, the sear arm needed to be a bit thicker so the bottom of it would contact the trigger. I didn't want to build it up with weld so I took a small piece of steel tubing that would just slide over the arm and I cut it to length and slid it over the sear arm and epoxied in place. It worked perfectly and as long as I owned the rifle - and I shot it quite a bit - there was never an issue with the triggers working correctly afterwards.

If you have to deepen the trigger mortise a bit - just do it a little at a time and try it. You'll get it to working. Good luck and enjoy.