Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: tite wad barrel extension question

Boolit Master

tite wad barrel extension question

I do not have an extension on my x39 ar barrel.( do not have extra 20 to 100 bucks laying around for what I really don't know is needed)
    If I take a section of old shotgun barrel (laying in metal pile) and make insert for the one end and threaded it or clamp it on ar barrel will that mess up accuracy? Is an extension flash, suppresser fake or such really needed or can I wack the threads off of barrel? I am old school and don't know much about these new fangled fads but I like em! If these like a can design blow the concussion front away from my ears then I am all in. But, if they are to impress the crowd count me out.
    Look twice, shoot once.

What you are calling a barrel extension is actually a flash hider, flash suppressor, muzzle brake or compensator. A barrel extension is actually the part holds the barrel and goes inside the upper receiver of an AR. What you are referring to can help reduce the muzzle rise by redirecting the gasses coming out of the muzzle, or dissipate the flash or redirect some of the sound. They will not lessen the sound, that can only be done by mounting a suppressor on the end of the muzzle.

Do you need a device on the end of your muzzle? Not necessarily. Will a device affect the accuracy of the rifle? It shouldn't as long as it doesn't interfere with the bullet leaving the muzzle. Can you build your own? Sure, just make sure the bullet has a clear passage when it exits the muzzle. What you suggested can work, just make sure the opening is concentric with the bore of the barrel. Can you "lop" off the threads on the end of the barrel? Sure, just make sure the barrel is still of legal length. You can just cut them off and then clean up and recrown the barrel.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Sorry for my wrong words but thanks for the clarity. I am gonna try making this shotgun tube work and if I don't like it off goes the threads. It really shoots good and I don't want to mess that up!
    Look twice, shoot once.

As long as your tube is fairly concentric to the bore no loss of accuracy, what your trying to make , we call 'em "bloop tubes" ...... lots of guys add them to the rifles to Extend the sight radius when running iron sights........

It'll at least give you some practice turning internal threads. Some guys will thread in reverse away from the headstock on the far side of the bore with the tool upside down. I just thread it like normal and lay out a very generous relief groove usually .050" wide (if allowable) using a dial indicator to measure the carriage travel to let me know when to throw the halfnut lever. If you don't end up liking the muzzle attachment you could always turn a thread cover the same dia as the barrel and loctite it in place.