Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend ignored my advice.

Boolit Bub
    I've enjoyed reading the comments! For some unknown reason, I was reminded of a video that I think many of you will enjoy too. Like all comedy, the kernel of truth is key! Stay with it until the end for icing on the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk

Boolit Buddy

My wife always takes my advice on major issues. None have come up in 33 years
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

It is true that it is "her" money and her decision to make. No doubt about that. Which matters to the degree you consider this a potential long term committed relationship.

Lot of couples work from a basis of "your" money, "my" money, and "our" money. Not uncommon when both come to the relationship from being independent in their financial decisions and with their own incomes and/or accumulated wealth.

On the other hand many couples work from a basis of shared financial well being requiring shared financial decisions in their relationship. They tend to pool their income and purchases tend to be joint decisions. So one partner deciding to blow 2x as much money on tires to the tune of a few hundred dollars would be a real problem in that sort of relationship unless literally the money didn't matter. Which judging from the OP it would be viewed as "wasted" and a problem to at least one person in this sort of relationship and cause some friction.

Long term if the relationship progresses to joint decisions, cohabitation, marriage etc. the framework for finances is a critical piece. If one uses the yours, mine, ours approach she would be blowing the money she earned or has at her discretion and could have spent on a spa day. Not the money your earned and want to spend on a new mold or two. Her taking your advice will be at her discretion and knowing that one may find it easier to not be bothered if said good advice is ignored. If however you find yourselves using a more collaborative way to handle finances this issue will crop up and is just something that you have to work out. Will be easier to work out in general than around a specific purchase. I mean a plan for how to handle this sort of thing in advance will avoid arguing about it or anger as cases arise.

My parents had two checkbooks for one account. They had to discuss purchases and did. If they hadn't the chance for both to spend the same money would have been a constant problem. My wife and I set aside a certain amount for each as personal discretionary funds in individual accounts that also have our monthly "budget" for gas, lunches, and small incidentals that we buy every month. We have to talk over major purchases because the $350 I might want to spend on a C&B pistol comes out of the same pot that will pay for replacing living room furniture or eventually the carpet.

My next set of tires is going to come out of the general fund if you will and it will be discussed. I think she will be about when it fits in budget more than where I purchase, she already knows I'm going to a reputable store we have done business with for years and am a frugal consumer of auto maintenance. Price out the door from shop is only a few $ off of ordering online and paying for installation. And he sells me WW's so.... Of course all this takes place in the existing financial framework, not as some one off decision.

OP and women lack that, or any framework, which this early in relationship is normal. Something that may or may not become important later but only if things progress to that point.

Myself I'm still working on the you pick the color of paint and let me worry about type and brand, as well as what equipment is needed to apply the paint. I will get there as god as my witness I WILL get there. Just not this month I'm pretty sure....
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    $800 for tires 30 years ago? What the hell was she driving a Rolls Royce?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    $800 for tires 30 years ago? What the hell was she driving a Rolls Royce?
    Even though I do recall the dollar amount and it was a 1 ton passenger Van, I don't recall all the other details? maybe she had the brakes done too?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Sometimes this happens

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve only been married 5 years but have had enough relationships plus Im a keen observer, what Ive learned is get someone else to give the woman you are with the advise and she’ll take it.

Boolit Master

Hope my wife won't read this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guns.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	234061

Boolit Master

Let her buy whatever brand tires she wants with her money. But I would reserve the right to demand the brand of firearm I wanted in the future even if it is more expensive than she likes.

Welcome to the world of married men...
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Grand Master

your not paying for the tires. let her buy want she wants. trust me on this
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    your not paying for the tires. let her buy want she wants. trust me on this
    Absolutely!!!!

Boolit Master
    Past behavior is a good indicator of future behavior. Granted, this time it was HER money, very likely in the future it will be YOUR money wasted. Beware.

Boolit Master
    The Nail.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

"All my sweaters are snagged..."

Boolit Master
    Yep, been there, done that!

Been covered before, but from her perspective she wanted to go out to lunch with you while SOMEBODY was taking care of THE PROBLEM that was pointed out to her by a SOMEONE working on her CAR and the focus shifted to what was being done to the car rather than lunch/time with HER. In all likelihood she doesn't care about exactly what happens, just that something happens to correct what some other person told her and she gets to see you.

"Man, I sure like Blizzaks for snow tires. Where are you takin' me for lunch, we should go to your favorite place"

I'm in late on this one and have not read all the comments but maybe you should tell her to buy that H&R, not the Browning,,,, (Fill in your preferred brands as needed)

Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    The Nail.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

"All my sweaters are snagged..."
    bwahahahahahahahaha..tell me every guy has not been right there. Man that was funny
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Let her buy Michelin's and you buy Michelob's.

My uncle gave this book to me upon my marriage 31 yrs ago.
    I still consult it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast