WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: My Ruger American 450 bushmaster trigger assembly rattles loosely...is that normal?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

My Ruger American 450 bushmaster trigger assembly rattles loosely...is that normal?

I bought it new a the summer before last and have only had it out three times running cast through it so far. I did push the envelope on it a few times with loads. I noticed yesterday when cleaning it when the bolt is out the trigger assembly rattles side to Side. It sounds like a baby rattle. When I put the bolt back in it tightens up a lot better but still has play. After I cycle the bolt to cock the rifle it’s pretty close to solid but not completely tight. Is this normal on Ruger Americans? Ruger did send me a call tag to send it in but I didn’t want to send it in if I don’t have to. It seems that either the pin holes are hogged out in the trigger group or it seems like the trigger itself is too narrow VS the the receiver it plugs into.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-15-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Well, no replies. I sent it back today to Ruger for repair.

I own 4 Ruger rifles (3ranch and 1 predator) I even have the 450 and mine does not rattle at all or have much at all side to side movement

Thanks for the reply...and the 243 casings! Haven’t received them yet but much appreciated!!!

Boolit Master
    Mine does not rattle either.

Banned
    its most likely the steel linkage between the safety mechanism in the trigger, and the big safety switch on the tang.

In Remembrance
    If you rifle's trigger isn't up to the level you would like ( lawyer triggers), have a Timney trigger installed and set to your likings by a 'smith that knows their stuff. It sure makes lighting one off much easier. Can't help but improve accuracy. Note, the last time I checked, Timney triggers would install it for you at minimal charge. You have to ship it to them. Contact them for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    its most likely the steel linkage between the safety mechanism in the trigger, and the big safety switch on the tang.
    It’s the whole housing. The holes are hogged where it’s held into the receiver. It’s in Ruger’s hands now. The gun arrived at their plant yesterday. As far as a timney goes a have about a dozen of them up in my Remington 700’s but wouldn’t spend the money for a Ruger with this trigger setup. I polished it and had it adjusted down to a hair under a CRISP pound in less than a half hour. This trigger is very easy to safely adjust to a light setting.

Boolit Master

I agree I have three Americans and like the Ruger trigger allot!

Good luck on repairs.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Ruger replaced the complete trigger group under their goodwill policy today and it’s on the way back. The Ruger tech said the holes were hogged out where the pins went through and thought I messed with them and deliberately drilled them out because I polished the trigger and cut down the coil spring. I told him I did not but only remembered bed the pin that holds the trigger in place to polish it. I did tell him the action screws came loose probably from the scope rail vibrations because the rail had a loose screw. I did tell him I’d polish up the new trigger when it comes back...he told me not to tell him that of course but was nice about the situation. They’re also sending the updated picatinny rail so hopefully it has a better fit and will require less bedding when it comes back.