Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Marbles sight for Big Bore

Boolit Buddy

Marbles sight for Big Bore

I've decided that I have to have a 94 Big Bore in 375 Winchester. Already have the brass, and dies on order. I'm sure I'll find a good one soon and when I do, I want to put a Marbles Tang sight on it.
    My question is, does the big bore take the same sight as the regular model 94 or is it different ?
    Marbles website really doesn't have much info.

Boolit Master
    The bases may be the same but you may not want the shorter staff. If you want to reach out as far as you can with that cartridge you'll need more elevation. I'm sure someone here can recommend a specific model but Marbles may also be able to help if you email them and tell them exactly what you're planning to do.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    I've decided that I have to have a 94 Big Bore in 375 Winchester. Already have the brass, and dies on order. I'm sure I'll find a good one soon and when I do, I want to put a Marbles Tang sight on it.
    My question is, does the big bore take the same sight as the regular model 94 or is it different ?
    This one is still available at Simpson's

Mine is drilled and tapped for the Williams side mounted sight and it is a different sight than than 'regular' 94's. A good number of them are drilled and tapped but not all. I think the 94 B.B.A.E is drilled and tapped for a scope on top of the receiver or it's a different peep sight.I think that that's right on how they were done. Mounting a tang sight requires a hole to be drilled and tapped on the B.B.'s tang, Winchester didn't think this one through.
    Having played with a few Winchesters and trying to mount tang sights on them often requires the drilling and tapping at least one hole while replacing the action screw to accomplish the mounting of one end of the base.The same for the Win/Miroku 92's. It can be done and is usually quite satisfactory when done correctly (centering the hole).
    If I had to have a tang sight and nothing else would do I would highly recommend using the Montana Vintage Arms base and one their sights, all of their sights are compatable with a single base. Outstanding quality and performance, I won't say their cheap but all of my Winchesters that have tang sights are MVA's nothing in a peep sight gives better results that I have found.
    Picture is current production 1873, just wanted to show the MVA sight and base, Miroku drilled and tapped the 73's same spacing the 1885,good on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.jpg  
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 01-14-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Winchester .375 Big-Bore top-eject (early one). It was drilled and tapped for a peepsight. I bought a Williams sight. It is NOT the same peepsight as the 30-30 Model 94. I do not have two of them to compare, so I do not know what the difference is, however, I would guess that the Model 94 one extends further to the rear into where the Big-Bore receiver reinforcement is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    I would put a williams on it - should be drilled and tapped to suit - the marbles sight on the tang gets in the way of hand grip (for me anyways)

Boolit Master
    That has been my experience as well, I have come to dislike tang sights on hunting rifles. As stated, they interfeer with my hand, reciever sight is mo betta, for my uses anyway. Can't remember if my early BB94 is tapped or not, I will check in the morning. Definately not "tang sight ready".
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Williams has discotinued the Big Bore sight so might be hard to find.

Like Indian Joe said, tang sights are in the way. And too delicate for me IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Williams still list the sight for the 375.

WILLIAMS FP-94/375

$74.95 – $86.95

SKU: 1278
    Category: Long Gun Rear
    Tags: Winchester 94 Big Bore .375, Winchester 94 Big Bore Angle Eject (with drilling and tapping)
    Brand: Winchester
    WILLIAMS FP-94/375
    For Models:
    Winchester 94 Big Bore .375. also
    fits 94 Big Bore Angle Eject,
    but drilling and tapping is necessary.

Target Knobs
    Quantity
    Add to cart

Boolit Buddy
    Emailed Marbles and they got right back to mw.
    They stated that the one for the 1894 Winchester will fit the Big Bore.

Sight #009808 and screw kit #995003.

Boolit Buddy
    The top ejects are D&T-ed for a side mounted peep site. The AE models fitted peep sights to the top of the action where the rear scope mount base fits.

On my top eject I just used a peep sight for a regular 94 and contoured the base with a file so it cleared the bulge at the rear of the action. That's easy to do with an alloy base but if they are still available that's even easier.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JFE View Post
    The top ejects are D&T-ed for a side mounted peep site. The AE models fitted peep sights to the top of the action where the rear scope mount base fits.

On my top eject I just used a peep sight for a regular 94 and contoured the base with a file so it cleared the bulge at the rear of the action. That's easy to do with an alloy base but if they are still available that's even easier.
    Good to know that I have that option