Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: hornady lock and load ap

Boolit Bub

hornady lock and load ap

I have been having problems with the primer feed. the primer pick up bar does not go back far enough back to pick up the primer.
    has any one run into this problem and how did you fix it. the press is a Hornady lock and load ap.

Boolit Master
    At the top of the press there is a black plastic flange that holds the primer slider guide. If you loosen the screw that holds this plastic, you can adjust the guide to change the distance the slider moves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2821.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	233971
    Last edited by Bohica793; 01-14-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the help, that was the problem. the other problem I have is I keep breaking that plastic flange that holds the primer slide guide.

Boolit Bub
    If you contact Hornady they will ask for your serial number. I have a LnL AP that was old enough to not have the newer "break away" primer slide rod holder. They sent me a replacement to upgrade the press. The rod is placed in the holder, but has a side cut out so under tension it can escape the holder without damaging it. You can then fix the stoppage and place the rod back into the holder.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 244 View Post
    If you contact Hornady they will ask for your serial number. I have a LnL AP that was old enough to not have the newer "break away" primer slide rod holder. They sent me a replacement to upgrade the press. The rod is placed in the holder, but has a side cut out so under tension it can escape the holder without damaging it. You can then fix the stoppage and place the rod back into the holder.

I called Hornady today and they are sending out a new part. thanks for the help

Boolit Bub
    I'm glad to help! Hornady has been very easy to work with if I have any issues with my LnL AP. Some, not all, AP's (mine did) required excessive pressure to seat primers and even then they might not seat fully. Turns out a .005" thick washer shim between the ram and the sub-plate makes all the difference in the world!

Banned

that is the adjustment but some don't have enough adjustment and you may have to bend the rod itself a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    At the top of the press there is a black plastic flange that holds the primer slider guide. If you loosen the screw that holds this plastic, you can adjust the guide to change the distance the slider moves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2821.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	233971

Boolit Master
    Rather than bend the rod, I would enlarge/lengthen the screw hole a bit with a small file.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Banned

I guess id rather bend a rod that Hornady will replace for free if it goof it up that alter my press by drilling on it. Both of my lnls have had that rod tweeked and ive loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on them without having to replace those rods.

Boolit Buddy

I just enlarged the screw hole to move the Guide Rod out further.
    Has been working great for years.

Boolit Grand Master

I had so many issues with the primer slide when I had my LnL. The last rep I spoke to told me I used the press to much and had too many parts failures. I had to replace the shell plate holder itself as they considered it a wear item and didn’t want to replace it. I can’t tell you how many slides I had replaced when the wheel would fall off, finally just fixed one myself. One of the slides they sent wouldn’t even slide due to tolerance stacking. When it worked, it worked wonderfully, but it always seemed like I was fiddling with something to keep it going.

Boolit Buddy
    I bent the rod on my LNL, and it works well.