Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Giant Bar Marked "KIRK" Any Idea What It Is?

Giant Bar Marked "KIRK" Any Idea What It Is?

Attached is a picture of a very heavy bar of what feels like lead. It's marked "KIRK" and may be a keel weight for a boat. It's about 24" long by 4" x 4" and weighs...a lot.

I have heard of an alloy called Kirksite that's used in foundries to make tooling molds for drop hammers. It's zinc based. But this thing seems a lot heavier than zinc. I can't even lift it.

Any ideas if this would work for cast bullets and how I would analyze its composition? Should I cut off a piece and try melting it?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirk Metal Bar.jpg  

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thanks for the thread link. Very helpful.

Boolit Master
    This likely will not help, but maybe some of these folks would know more now than they did then:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pe-for-boolits

And another:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...amped-lead-bar

G'Luck!

Oops. looks like I was beat to the sharing link(s). Oh well...

Once again, G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I would say it's a smelter ingot

That ingot looks similar to the ones I received last summer , marked "Doe Run". I can't get the image to copy here but a pic is in this thread; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-40-of-a-Score!!

Mine were about the same length, 23-24" IIRC and weighed 62-63 pounds each. Pure lead for all practical purposes. I melted this batch into smaller ingots. The second batch, six more of the same, I cut into thirds to make them easier to get on my shelves without the labor/cost of melting them.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy

I have come across some of the same ingots before, actually 12 bars once, all 12 ingots were pure lead.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Grand Master

Anything we say would just be a guess. I would contact member BNE and arrange to have it tested. He trades an XFR test for lead. Its a really fair swap and a great service that he provides for the members here. He has to work around his job but usually has a fast turn around time.

Boolit Master
    Try a few drops of muriatic acid on it. If it bubbles, you have zinc in there

Per the other threads, I hit it with a hammer to hear if it thunked or dinged. It thunked and dented very deeply and easily. I'm guessing it's lead.

No I have to get it into small enough pieces that I can melt it into smaller ingots. I remember sawing one before on my metal cutting bandsaw. It was a pain.

Any ideas on efficiently reducing its size to, say, 4x4x4-inch chunks? A gigantic pair of side cutters? Some kind of hydraulic shear that's used for something else like a log splitter?

Boolit Grand Master

Any saw with a course blade should cut it. Circular saw, sawszall, ect. Even a chainsaw. A log splitter if you have one. Even a hand saw with course teeth. Put something in place to catch the chips.

Boolit Master
    Axe, or small sledge & a chisel will work to get chunks off. A Sawzall(reciprocating saw) has worked for me as well on occasion.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Saw with very course teeth. Yes a log splitter has been used to chunk up lead before with reported good results. Or attach cable or chain and lower into pot. Lower more as it melts. Ladle out for ingots as pot gets full. Some have mentioned using an axe to good effect. Guess that would depend on your ability to hit same spot repeatedly with an axe rather than beavering the chunk of lead.

There was a member Banger Jim that reported good results using a double bladed saw from Harbor Freight. Has two circular saw blades and I think they work together in a way that really cuts through lead.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    There was a member Banger Jim that reported good results using a double bladed saw from Harbor Freight. Has two circular saw blades and I think they work together in a way that really cuts through lead.
    I got one of these based on the comments in this forum. It works well, but does throw chips. It doesn't have the cut depth to do four inches in one pass, but turning the piece 180 degrees should cover that - with extra care taken to watch out for pinching the blades.