Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New K31 Scope Mount/Rail

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Grand Master
    I just put a BadAce Tactical on the k-31 and it was a breeze. Now shooting near or sometimes actual one ragged hole groups at 50 yards. Mostly in the load development stage at this point, but, will be moving out to normal ranges, soon. Easy. I'd buy another in a heart beat.

Boolit Master
    Very nice Sir.Thanks for posting.Had a great K31,but like an idiot,I let it get away.If you promise not to cry,I`ll tell you how much I paid for it.Here goes.$12.00 back in 1973 at F.W. Woolworth.It was clean as a pin inside and out.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I bought my K31 and my Enfield No.4 Mk1 years ago at the same store and on the same day. I drove from Mesa, Arizona to Prescott, Arizona to buy them. If I remember correctly I paid $175.00 for the K31 and the Enfield was a bit less. I think it was in the early 2000s that I bought them. I can't really remember but, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday so it's not surprising.

I go on about the prices of the aftermarket scope mounts that are available; it's because I was raised in a penny pinching family. Out of necessity we didn't live beyond our means an so now, fast forward to today; I just can't get myself to pay more for a scope mount than I paid for the rifle it's going on, even if I had the expendable income to do so. I do like the look of the RockSolid mount though.

I still haven't chucked up my metal stock to whittle away at it. I've been busy finishing up my Tikka Re-Barreling project. I recently finished it up so I may now have some more time to work on my K31 scope mount. I'll post pics once I get it done.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    It took three milling operations and two days to do it all but I finally got the main portion of this New K31 Scope mount machined into existence. I haven't used my mill in a while and it felt like I had to learn how to use it all over again.. I did manage to break a forty-dollar 1/2" four flute coated carbide end mill at the start of it all but I've broken so many end mill over time that I try not to stress out to much when it happens. As long as my mill doesn't get damaged during one of these breakages, I can live with it.

This was the first time I'd attempted any embossing operations. I was so happy that my "K31 Swiss 7.5x55" letters came out so crisp and clean looking. That was short lived during my second milling operation cause I must have measured about .03" off of what it should have been. That second operation just wiped my nice embossing smooth off. Oh well; live and learn. That same measurement error also caused a small ridge on the side where the embossing was to go. Funny thing is that the ridge I'm referring to actually looks like I intended for it to be there; it actually looks good, to me at least. I'll take a photo of it before I take a file to it to smooth it all out.

As always my mistakes are brought about by being in to much of a hurry all the time. Now I have to make the little flip-out spring loaded arm that goes along with this scope mount but, I'm glad to have made this progress. I'll post my photos within the next couple of days. I still have to edit them down so they'll actually upload. Right now the files are to massive to be allowed in my allotted photo space here. I shall return.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

I Got The Main Body Of My K31 Scope Mount Done, FINALLY.

Now I have to make the smaller components that make up the little spring loaded flip-out arm. Those little parts are to small for me to have to set up my CNC hobby mill again so I'll make them on my little Harbor Freight mini-mill.

Except for a broken end mill and that mis-measurement that lead to the erasing of my nicely embossed K31 Swiss logo, I can live with the results. I'll be happy to be able to take my K31 one out the range again. My eye sight no longer allows me to use either iron sights or peep sights to good effect. It's either a scope or alot of wasted bullets.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

I finally got it done

I did have to do some post machining filing, sanding and powder coating to get it to fit perfectly in place. Also; the clever but overly complicated spring loaded flip-out lever I drew up in my CAD models turned out not to be necessary as a simple flat spring steel plate served the same purpose of ejecting the spent brass. All of that work I put into those hand-made little dove tailed components that made up that flip-out lever assembly was just more wasted time. It's one of the reasons it took so long to complete this project.

With any luck I'll be able to take it to the shooting range next week some time to see how it holds up under recoil.

HollowPoint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12