MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New K31 Scope Mount/Rail

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

My New K31 Scope Mount/Rail

I had already made up one of these a while back but I ended up having to alter it to fit my K31 after I'd rebarreled and rechambered it. Now that I reverted this same K31 Rifle back to its' native chambering, I couldn't use the previously made scope rail cause it wouldn't fit anymore.

I thought I'd properly stored those CAD files of that old K31 scope mount but it seems it had been corrupted somehow cause I wasn't able to open the file up anymore. OH well; It gave me the opportunity to start from scratch and include a modified ejection mechanism. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

I haven't actually machined this project yet. I hope to have it done in a couple of weeks; time permitting. The last one worked out pretty well. I'm hoping that with the new ejection mechanism this one will work out a bit better. We Shall see.

HollowPoint

USMC 77, USRA 79

Very interesting... hope to see it mounted.. I am a big K31 fan just cuz it’s a very cool gun... so when you gunna make this thing? No fair dangling a carrot!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I had to go looking for them back in the photo archives I had uploaded back when I made the last iteration of this scope mount. The pics below give you an idea of how this type of scope rail was made to fit.

You'll be able to tell by comparing these old pics to these latest CAD renderings that there are a few differences in the geometry of the old versus the new design. On the old design the ejection mechanism was not quit as elaborate.

My projects revolve around having the free time to do them. I'm hoping to have the main body of the scope rail done in a couple of weeks. I just have to play it by ear. I've already got the metal stock ready to go. Right now I'm working on the CAM part of this project. I'm figuring out what the best tool paths will be for my milling operations. I'll post updates as I get far enough along.

HollowPoint

Looks like fun. What's your 3D CAD/Rendering software?

Boolit Master
    I have an older version of SolidWorks. I bought a laptop few years ago from a retiring engineer. The laptop had the software on it and I never bothered uninstalling it. I eventually figured out how to use it well enough to start drawing up stuff like this scope mount.

After I draw up my 3D models I save them as IGIS files so I can transfer them into my CAM software. I use SprutCam. It's the CAM software that came with the hobby mill package I bought several years ago too.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

Are you saying you might have some for sale once you get the program working? I have no idea what you are talking about when you describe the software. I do have a couple of K31's and would like to put a scope on one of them. I haven't looked at the K11 in awhile so don't know if a mount might work on it too. I suspect not but I don't mind shooting the issue sights with it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I'd love to be able to shoot my K31 with the factory iron site but my eye sight has gotten to the point where even the peep sights that I was using really didn't allow me to get the accuracy I was once able to achieve with a good set of peep sights.

The first time I mounted one of my home made scope rails I was getting some stellar accuracy out of my K31 out to 200 yards using cast bullets. I never really thought about selling completed units. I mainly make things for my own personal use.

With the 3D printed items I've designed I sell the STL files only so that the end user can use their Slicer Software of choice to print out on their own 3D printer. I suppose I could sell the IGES files that would allow the end user to run them through their preferred CAM software for milling on their own CNC mill.

There's already an outfit called RockSolid Industries if I remember correctly that sells an all steel scope mount for the K31. I had already designed and built my first home made copy before I ever found out about them. They offer a high quality K31 scope mount but they want nearly three-hundred bucks for them. I just couldn't get myself to pay more for a scope mount than I paid for my K31 rifle in the first place. The RockSolid Industries mount requires drilling and tapping of the reciever in order to mount it correctly. The ejection setup on their mount is a simple angled metal plate that the empty brass deflects off of from a brisk cycling of the action. They also offer an extended ten-round metal magazine for the K31. I offer the STL files for a3D printed K31 extended 12 round magazine too but it's made of ABS plastic rather than metal. Metal is much more durable. Plastic is much cheaper.

https://www.rocksolidind.com/product...1-scope-mount/

In my design, I just wanted the empty brass to more or less dribble out the right side of the reciever so I didn't have to go looking for it and so that my brass didn't get beat up on its' way out of the reciever. As it turns out, the scope mount design that I came up with on my own wasn't to much different than the RockSolid Industries designed scope mount.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Another option recommended by Dutchman.

https://www.badacetactical.com/produ...nt-low-profile

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Another option recommended by Dutchman.

https://www.badacetactical.com/produ...nt-low-profile
    That's an even simpler design with a similar ejection setup as the RockSolid design. I think I'd prefer that latter design for the sake of simplicity but being the cheap-skate that I am, the $119.00 plus shipping price tag would still drive me to try to come up with something on my own.

Ten-dollars worth of metal stock; and I already have the milling machine and the design software. If I had neither I think I might opt for the BadAceTactical mount.

HollowPoint

Banned
    This is a fine mount. The days of cheap K31 re long gone. I sold my mint walnut one for $1000 a month ago.

https://www.swissproductsusa.com/pro...nt-scope-mount

Boolit Master
    What really gets my attention are the prices of these after market K31 scope mounts. If they are charging what they're charging for their scope mounts, I wonder what they would charge if they had come up with a design more closely similar to mine?

They all look like they should work very well but, I guess they sell them for those outrageous prices because people are willing to pay those outrageous prices. That's a good thing for the K31 aftermarket products businesses. I think I'll stick to my home made cheapy aluminum scope mounts.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    What really gets my attention are the prices of these after market K31 scope mounts. If they are charging what they're charging for their scope mounts, I wonder what they would charge if they had come up with a design more closely similar to mine?

They all look like they should work very well but, I guess they sell them for those outrageous prices because people are willing to pay those outrageous prices. That's a good thing for the K31 aftermarket products businesses. I think I'll stick to my home made cheapy aluminum scope mounts.

HollowPoint
    That's all well and good except for those of us who are not skilled machinists or computer savvy. We are stuck with paying "outrageous" prices or taking a chance on BadAce Tactical mount. For now I think I will stick with open sights and larger "groups"(patterns?).

I can be satisfied with my K31's and K11 knowing that they are more accurate than I am.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    That's all well and good except for those of us who are not skilled machinists or computer savvy. We are stuck with paying "outrageous" prices or taking a chance on BadAce Tactical mount. For now I think I will stick with open sights and larger "groups"(patterns?).

I can be satisfied with my K31's and K11 knowing that they are more accurate than I am.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

HollowPoint

USMC 77, USRA 79

Very nice work sir.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Very nice work sir.
    Thanks Markopolo:

Dreaming it up and drawing it up is the easy part for me; it's machining it so it ends up looking like my drawings that's the tricky part for me. I just need to take my time but, taking my time is hard for me too.

I'm so used to having to hurry up to squeeze these projects in between jobs that hurrying up is a hard habit to break, even now that I'm retired.

HollowPoint

k31 mount

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 039.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	234347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 042.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	234348
    not a scope mount but this is my "no drill" peep sight mount for the k31. made it from some scrap pieces laying around.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 039.jpg 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	234347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 042.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	234348
    not a scope mount but this is my "no drill" peep sight mount for the k31. made it from some scrap pieces laying around.
    Hey Enfield: That looks really good. I also made an all metal peep sight a while back but because of my eye sight I keep drifting back to a scope. Just recently I actually designed a 3D printed peep sight as well. It's that 3D printed Peep Sight that I've now transitioning back to a scope from. It functioned just as I'd hoped but now days I just can't get the accuracy I'm looking for with iron sights or peep sights.

I'm hoping to have this new scope mount indexed on my mill next week but, the new barrel I ordered for my Tikka T3 project showed up today so I may have to put that scope mount project on the back burner so I can get the Tikka done first.

HollowPoint

I cant take credit for the sight, it's a Swenson Precision, I just made the base.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Here's the Metal Peep and the 3D printed Peeps I made

I tried to make them so they hugged the top surface of my receiver as closely as possible. It worked out good but like I mentioned in my previous post, even a good set of iron sights or peep sights no longer allows me to get the accuracy I once was getting with this type of sight. Thank God for scopes; even the cheap ones.

HollowPoint

Boolit Buddy
    for my K 31 I used the S & K SCOPE MOUNT + handgun scope Burris 3-12 X
    [IMG] http://i65.tinypic.com/14j1elh.jpg [/ IMG]

[IMG] http://i67.tinypic.com/i2264i.jpg [/ IMG]

[IMG] http://i68.tinypic.com/1hsgpd.jpg [/ IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast