Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Stock duplicating service recommendation

Boolit Buddy

Stock duplicating service recommendation

I want to put a classic stock on my VZ-24 Mauser 98. It appears to have been factory sporterized (ground receiver ring, drilled and tapped for scope bases, sporter profile barrel in .30-'06). I am reworking the (really awful) factory stock for a pattern and I have a black walnut stock blank (that's been air drying for around 30 years). I would like the duplicated stock to have an ebony forend tip (I've got the ebony), close grip (like the Reinhart Fajen Classic semi-inlets came with) and Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed. I can take it from there. With cast bullet loads, I'm expecting it will be fun to shoot.

In researching this project, it looks like much of the best work is done with Hoenig and Dakota duplicating machines and that the service can cost as much as a modest factory rifle (maybe $500 and up?), which is significantly more than I want to spend. I was seriously considering Richards Microfit Gun Stocks, but they won't respond to an email request (I have hearing problems), wouldn't talk directly to me on the phone (conversation relayed through receptionist) and a lot of customer complaints, so I'm looking for a different company/person to do the work.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Boolit Grand Master

That does not sound like duplicating unless you have made a sample stock just like you want it. Sounds like you want a custom stock. Now as to the blank you need to make sure it will make a stock. So many folks come in with a hunk of walnut uncle George cut years ago and the grain is not t=right, it has been improperly stored and is checks or cracked, you need a stock man to check it out for you. If all is well Boyd might be able to do an inletted stock for you, check out thr=eir classis style. There is a guy here who was building a pantograph Try Paul De Blauw in Hartington Ne. Bow Valley Guns.

I have bought from Boyds and I am very happy with the quality and selection

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    That does not sound like duplicating unless you have made a sample stock just like you want it. Sounds like you want a custom stock. Now as to the blank you need to make sure it will make a stock. So many folks come in with a hunk of walnut uncle George cut years ago and the grain is not t=right, it has been improperly stored and is checks or cracked, you need a stock man to check it out for you. If all is well Boyd might be able to do an inletted stock for you, check out thr=eir classis style. There is a guy here who was building a pantograph Try Paul De Blauw in Hartington Ne. Bow Valley Guns.
    I'm making the pattern stock to fit me, so I guess it would qualify as custom. The LOP will be 13 1/4" - 13 1/2" and distance from the center of the trigger to the front edge of the grip cap needs to be 3 1/2" maximum, because I'm on the small side, including hands. I plan on checking fit by shouldering the rifle with my eyes closed and see where it is pointing when I open them, then adjusting the stock accordingly. I'll check out Boyd's and Mr. De Blauw; thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    My first rifle project was a Herter's U9 (BSA) and a semi-inletted stock from Herter's. Had I known about "musket grain", I would have exchanged the stock for another one. Predictably, it split at the wrist, so when I cut the blanks ten years or so later, I made sure the grain ran up through the wrist, sealed the ends with rubber undercoat and varnished the rest of the exposed wood. Even all that won't necessarily keep things from going south. If my blank turns out to have internal flaws, I may be able to save it for a .22LR and will buy the wood from the profiler for the Mauser.

Steven, I have a Boyds laminate for a 98 military Mauser I will give you if you pay the freight ?
    Send me a PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Steven, I have a Boyds laminate for a 98 military Mauser I will give you if you pay the freight ?
    Send me a PM.
    PM sent

Boolit Master
    I’m in southwest Mo. it’s been a long time since I had a stock duplicated. I used Wenig custom gunstocks out of Lincoln MO. At that time it was $95 and they furnished the blank. I wanted to change some of the dimensions on the original. He cut the front half like my stock but added 1/8” to the back half. This let me rasp and sand to what I wanted.
    This has been 20 yrs ago but they still have a website.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    If all else fails,, contact member here "sixshot." His son does duplicate stocks,, and has the right machine & such.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the suggestions. What exasperates me about the places I've contacted so far is that 1) They won't respond to a polite email inquiry and 2) When I call, I can't talk to anyone who will treat me like a customer. This has happened now with Richards, Wenigs and Macon Gunstocks. I email because I have hearing difficulties (not uncommon with the older guy demographic that goes for this hobby). When that fails, I call. I am unfailingly polite to whoever I speak to (which has been receptionists in all three cases), but three times now the message I've gotten is that they really can't be bothered. I guess I will have to keep trying other places. I haven't tried Boyd's yet, but so far, my impression from their website is that you can only buy a finished stock. Maybe I've misunderstood. Maybe they're all feeling down because it's midwinter. Thanks for letting me vent!

In Remembrance
    Give George Peterson at Treebone Carving a call or email. I'm betting you will get a timely, friendly response. if your wood is suitable, IIRC he will carve it for ~$200. Prices are listed on his website.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

yes, but George cuts 10% proud so you will have some cutting to do if you go that way. Just an FYI.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    yes, but George cuts 10% proud so you will have some cutting to do if you go that way. Just an FYI.
    I consider that a plus.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    There is a group of custom rifle addicts at Accurate Reloading.
    They post in a custom rifle forum and will be able to give you good direction. There is a gunsmith there who is uncommonly open to questions. Jim Kobe is his name and I am sure he can steer you towards folks who know the best duplicators for the money.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Have you considered doing it yourself ? When I was twelve, I made a sporter stock for my fathers 03-A3. It turned out pretty well. I did have help from the shop teacher, but don’t think it would be hard for you if you have the time and tools.

Boolit Master
    oh yeah there is a long thread at Accurate Reloading in the gunsmithing forum by a retired gunsmith named Les Brooks. He goes through each and every step for laying out a stock on a new blank, shaping, inletting and finishing. He made the process look very simple. His new stock was top quality.
    I think they made that thread a sticky.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I have a CD Les Brooks made on how to my a stock duplicating machine and some other gunsmith related items!
    That man knows his business!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all. I'll definitely check out Accurate Reloading and Mr. Brooks.

I have previously made one (pattern) stock from the blank with hand tools. Unfortunately, I've got a batch of pressing demands on my time now with serious home repair and remodeling that I never would have imagined having to do this late in life. So it becomes well worth $200 - $300 or so to have a duplicator do most of the work so I can shoot the rifle this year. If I found myself with too much time on my hands, I would very much enjoy making a stock from the blank myself.

Boolit Master
    There was a guy over on Mauser central that went by the name of 10 ring. He had Herters old duplicater and did some beautiful classic Mauser stocks.
    Conversed with him quite a bit back in the day but now I can’t remember his name and can’t find his phone number or email.
    Of all the things I’ve lost I miss my mind the most.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I'd hope everyone cuts 10% proud. That's why most are listed as 90% inletted.

I'd give Crossno's Gun Service in Arcadia, Ok. a call. Since you're building a pattern, they can easily duplicate yours. They also guarantee good wood if you let them supply the wood. If they find a void or issue, they toss their wood and start over. If you supply the wood you get whatever voids yours might have.
    I've used Crossno before Dave died, and after. Used my own wood, and theirs, and always been pleased.