MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Casting for Glock17

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Some guns have a small feed ramp at the back of the chamber.

For any gun with a locked breach, I have a hard time seeing normal loads being a problem as long as the depth of the removed metal for the feed ramp is no more than just longer than the length of the primer. This "unsupported region" of a 9mm case never expands unless there is a gross overload. Note that this region is down so low that it does not get touched by the sizing die. If this region was expanding with normal loads, "normal" reloading would not address this expansion and primer pockets would get oversized fast.

If the feed ramp region extends much further into the chamber, you can have some actual "unsupported" case wall. I have heard of this in other caliber handguns, but do not think it is true for most 9mm handguns. I have picked fired 9mm brass that had the "guppy belly" bulge. I assumed it was from a loose chambered and/or blowback carbine.

If anyone has loads that routinely loosen the primer pockets on a 9mm, they are asking for a heap of trouble anyway.
    Me & my son reload for 40 and 9mm, my son has a glock in 40, I have a 40 Shield, in 9mm I have a S&W mod. 39-2 and a Sig P-6 my son has a P-6 as well.so far no bulge or primer pocket issues. Since we are punching paper and plinking we don’t load it “hot”. Far as resizing brass goes we use a Go gage and calipers in any caliber we use , I cast lead rn TL .125s for the 9’s and plated 155gr for the 40’s. Not sure if I can mention brand names of dies but they come in a red plastic box.
    I’ve been reloading almost 40 years. This unsupported case buisiness is new to me.
    As an aside, any new pistol or revolver state in the manual “to only use factory ammunition “ or in some cases it could void their warranty.

Lots of good information here about shooting cast bullets in the Glock. I do not have a Glock, but have shot a lot of the Lee 120 TC bullet in my other 9s, a good bullet that pretty much will feed reliably in anything. My mold with hard alloy is closer to 124 gr.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345