Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Casting for Glock17

Casting for Glock17

Hello everyone, the advice received to improve the accuracy with the rifle were very productive. I have to get beagleling the mold and touch up the sizer. Now I am venturing into the manufacture of boolits for my glock 17. I spent several days reading the stickys and several postings, in which I see that there are many common and unique problems to reload boolits in a glock gun.
    Up to now I have been using boolits with a copper layer made by a manufacturer in my country, they have a diameter of .358, measured with my micrometer. I've gone through the barrel of my gun and it has thrown me .355-.355.5
    For a matter of ease to get it, I'm going to buy a mold lee, since I have a distributor in Buenos Aires.
    And there are two models that are the most recommended. One is the 356-120-TC and the other and I like it more is the 358-125-RF, although you have to sit well inside.
    That is what I could read so far.
    The question of lubrication remains, I would prefer to use LLA to make it more practical. But I was reading that the models with micro-bands of lubrication have not performed well.
    More than anything is going to be used in IPSC, it is very little that I shoot out to compete and train.
    If anyone has their experience to share, I will be very grateful to read it.
    Hernan

Boolit Master

I have no Glock experience...XDM & Canik shooter. However, I have found the 356-120 Lee with lube grooves to be a great performer in my guns. I've shot about 50k rounds loaded with it without any problems and accuracy is better than I can hold. I also have the 358-125RF but I prefer the 120TC, using the 125RF in 38's. Hopefully Glock shooters will reply.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    Glock 19 shooter here. I tried and tried to get the 125 round nose lee bullet to work correctly but never did get it to where I liked. That bullet has to be seated so deep in the case its silly. I then tried the 125 grain truncated cone tumble lubed bullet, this one worked much better in my glock, and was more accurate. I am powder coating all my bullets so no advise on lube.

In my Wifes glock 27, 40 cal I am running the lee 40 cal, traditional lube groove (one big groove) and it is a fantastic performer. Also powder coated.
    Last edited by Chainsaw.; 01-14-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    Its been my experience the tuncated cone or TC shaped boolits work better in my Glock pistols. My first mold was a 356 120TC but that one dropped 355 with straight wheel weight alloy. I now have the 358 120B mold from Accurate. Its a clone of the Lyman 356402 mold and I couldn't be happier with it.

I load 120, 125 gr boolits for my glock 17 gen 4. I powder coat then size.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    I have no Glock experience...XDM & Canik shooter. However, I have found the 356-120 Lee with lube grooves to be a great performer in my guns. I've shot about 50k rounds loaded with it without any problems and accuracy is better than I can hold. I also have the 358-125RF but I prefer the 120TC, using the 125RF in 38's. Hopefully Glock shooters will reply.
    1 vote to 120! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    Glock 19 shooter here. I tried and tried to get the 125 round nose lee bullet to work correctly but never did get it to where I liked. That bullet has to be seated so deep in the case its silly. I then tried the 125 grain truncated cone tumble lubed bullet, this one worked much better in my glock, and was more accurate. I am powder coating all my bullets so no advise on lube.

In my Wifes glock 27, 40 cal I am running the lee 40 cal, traditional lube groove (one big groove) and it is a fantastic performer. Also powder coated.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Its been my experience the tuncated cone or TC shaped boolits work better in my Glock pistols. My first mold was a 356 120TC but that one dropped 355 with straight wheel weight alloy. I now have the 358 120B mold from Accurate. Its a clone of the Lyman 356402 mold and I couldn't be happier with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fralic76 View Post
    I load 120, 125 gr boolits for my glock 17 gen 4. I powder coat then size.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Thanks! 355! very low!

Boolit Buddy
    My Glock's all ran pretty well with the Lee 125 grain truncated cone design sized to .3575 I have never used traditional lube or Alox as hi tec or powder coating is so easy and so much less smoky which can be important in action shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    My Glock's all ran pretty well with the Lee 125 grain truncated cone design sized to .3575 I have never used traditional lube or Alox as hi tec or powder coating is so easy and so much less smoky which can be important in action shooting.
    you mean this boolit?
    https://leeprecision.com/6-cav-358-125-rf.html

Boolit Master
    https://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-356-120-tc.html

That works for all of my 9mm pistols, past and current. I do have to size it to .357 for the CZ, but the Ruger and both Glocks that I had, the 17 & 19 Gen 4's would gobble them up without hesitation.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Mold
    I use the 4 cavity version of the Lyman 147 (356637) for my Glock 17 without issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    That one looks like it could be a great choice but this is the one I used.

https://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-tl356-124-tc.html

Boolit Bub
    Glocks do not have a fully supported chamber. If you load hot/fast rounds they can bulge/blow out (in a half moon shape) just forward of the extractor groove on the bottom of the case. This area is where the feed ramp is and not fully supporting the chamber. Be careful and check your cases for the bulge!

Boolit Master

244, that is true of some Glocks but the 17 has relatively good case support. But that is good advice for any auto-loader.

For Glocks, I have a strong preference for powder coating. Very good accuracy vs copper plated.

Boolit Master
    My USPSA (US version of IPSC) factory barreled 34's get a steady diet of 147 grain HiTek coated casts sized to .357. They shoot well. I'd tried a 124 gr SWC that also shot just fine, but I prefer the heavier slug.

Older generation 40 S&W Glocks were the worst offenders for guppy bellied brass. I understand the newer barrels have much less of the problem, and have never seen it in my gen 2 and gen 3 nines. That goes for factory ammo as well as my USPSA minor power factor loads.

Banned

Every gun is different and to say which bullet would shoot best would be just a poor guess. Ill say this though. the rcbs 121 round nose has been probably the most accurate across the board bullet in all of my 9s. Its only disadvantage is your stuck with a 2 cav mold. As to lubing them id skip the allox. Especially for a comp gun. Its makes your gun dirty in short order. Much more so then conventional lubes do. If it were me id buy myself a mold a lee bullet sizing die in the size you want and a lb of PC paint. Pc is easy and its as clean to shoot as a jacketed bullet.

thanks for all the answers, it is very clear to me that I have to think about coated, to avoid the smoke, that harms me in ipsc
    On the other hand, I think I'm going to lean over the mold Lee 356-120 TC, make the powder coating and then resize to 357.
    Sounds like a good idea?

Boolit Master
    Not a thing wrong with learning to use the Lee 356-120-TC with conventional lube, and then add to the skill with the powder coating. Dusty

Boolit Master

Neuces5, that sounds like a good plan. I like the 120 TC better than the 125 2R profile. Powder coating is simple and effective. No smoke or mess. I see no reason to not go straight to PC for your volume 9mm loads.

Boolit Master

I have a very early GLOCK 23. It's brass shows the GLOCK Smile with the Factory bbl. I bought a Wolfe replacement bbl as soon as they became available. Big difference. Tighter chamber, much more support, no more GLOCK Smile. Even bought a 9mm conversion bbl, no GLOCK Smile either.

I still put my 40S&W brass through a REDDING "size through die", 9mm doesn't seem to need it.

I favor the LYMAN/IDEAL #356402 TC sized at .356, WLL 50/50. I'm a bit different then most.

I've tried 9mm bullets out of most molds out there, always come back to #356402.

I've only found one TL Bullet that ever worked for me. An N.O.E. TL-432-243-RF.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

G34/G17/G19 shooter here, including 9mm converted G22 & poly80 builds...all with aftermarket barrels with fully supported chambers so I can shoot PC CBs & w/o the dreaded brass bulge.
    120TC shoots clean holes on paper compared to RNs. However, be mindful of the Lee lube groove when seating with enough crimp to avoid losing tension. Polished ramps will eat those TCs better if your barrel has tight dims.
    I personally prefer to shoot heavier 147RFNs (or 158s suppressed).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast