RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a good bullet for my 300 BO AR!

Boolit Master

Finally, a good bullet for my 300 BO AR!

Today I had much success with my AR in 300 Blackout. I got a new mould from NOE, the 311-152-SP. This is a clone of the Lyman 311414, nose diameter is around .302 so PC is good to go! I shot them naked and PC'ed with a starting load of 4227 and got velocities in the 1730's to 1750's with low standard deviations and the PC bullets showed about 20fps higher than the conventional lubed. It was cold and snowing, and I have not figured out how to shoot the darn thing off of a rest well yet. My groups were in the 1.5" range at 50 yards, but with bad shots removed the groups were around .5 to .75" They were more than stable in a 1:8 barrel, no keyholes or other nasty stuff!

I had one FTF in a D&H mag that has given me troubles with 300 BO on the last round and the other mag was a PMAG and it was perfect. The bullets are not getting beat up feeding either. I think I will ladder with 4227, Lil' Gun and maybe commercial H110. This bullet can be seated to the end of the front driving band with the gas check right at the end of the neck, really like that as well. Seems to be about the perfect bullet dimensionaly for the 300 BO. The bullets are not perfect as poured, but that is another topic, but they were good enough for a 22 degree day and test firing.

300bo2 by Matt Ward, on Flickr
    300bo4 by Matt Ward, on Flickr
    300bo1 by Matt Ward, on Flickr
    300bo3 by Matt Ward, on Flickr
    Last edited by mattw; 01-14-2019 at 01:35 AM.

That's a really vibrant red. What powder is it?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    That's a really vibrant red. What powder is it?
    It is one that Smoke is testing. It went on well, but not as well as the wet look black. That is one coat shake and bake. New powder for me, maybe I needed more shake before bake!

Boolit Master

I like that red.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Good to hear that, how long is your barrel mattw?
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Boolit Master

My AR is a 16" barrel with pistol length gas system. I am running with a stock spring and an H1 weight. Really a good little rifle, the barrel is from Radical as is the slim forearm, not sure who made the receiver and it has an Aim BCG group.

Boolit Master

mattw,
    When I saw your first two photos I thought I was looking at the Lee 312-155, the C.E. Harris designed bullet. I use the Lee and I agree with you this is an ideal bullet for the blackout. I also had trouble with the D&H magazines and all GI type mags with jams. I also went to the Magpul mags and have had no further problems.

Ken
    Last edited by skeet1; 01-20-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    mattw,
    When I saw you first two photos I thought I was looking at the Lee 312-155, the C.E. Harris designed bullet. I use the Lee and I agree with you this is an ideal bullet for the blackout. I also had trouble with the D&H magazines and all GI type mags with jams. I also went to the Magpul mags and have had no further problems.

Ken
    Ken, the beauty with this mould lies in the fact that the nose diameter is not full bore diameter as well as the short bearing surface just fills the neck on the 300 BO. I would like to see Al make this in about a 175 grain weight as well.

I could not make the Lee work, the nose diameter was to big and it shaved on the way in and lead to failures to chamber until brushed out.

Boolit Master

Mattw,
    I'm very happy that the Lee fits my rifle's chamber. I have a Lee 6 cavity mold in this bullet and can cast a bunch of them in a short amount of time and the mold was less than $40.00 new. I also have several NOE molds for other rifles that are first class in quality.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Ken, the beauty with this mould lies in the fact that the nose diameter is not full bore diameter as well as the short bearing surface just fills the neck on the 300 BO. I would like to see Al make this in about a 175 grain weight as well.

I could not make the Lee work, the nose diameter was to big and it shaved on the way in and lead to failures to chamber until brushed out.
    Ideal 311413?

Boolit Master

NO! You are looking for the 311414. The 311413 has a much longer bearing surface and would place the gascheck well down into the case and I think the nose is much closer to bore diameter. I was unable to find a real Lyman and opted for the NOE, the Lyman is not common.

I have both from ideal.

Boolit Master

I could not find it in either Ideal or Lyman. I have several old Ideal's and they cast really well! Bummer, most are single cavity.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 312-155 will not work in my 300blk outs either (Ruger range with AR mags and a PSA pistol 8.5” barrel) I’m still looking for a good hunting bullet for the 300 that will chamber

Boolit Master

Depending upon what you hunt, this is really a pretty good bullet for the 300. I think NOE has one other with the smaller nose diameter as well.

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot the lyman 311413 over imr 4198. good load all the way out to 300 meters. just worked up a load of imr 4227 with the lee 230. GREAT accuracy to 200 meters. both boolits are powder coated, of course.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    i shoot the lyman 311413 over imr 4198. good load all the way out to 300 meters. just worked up a load of imr 4227 with the lee 230. GREAT accuracy to 200 meters. both boolits are powder coated, of course.
    Do you seat that 311413 all the way to the end of the front driving bands? It sounds like your 300 BO must have a little more generous throat than mine.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    A semi-auto "30-30" is not a terrible rifle to field. We have one also !!! Have not tried this cast slug yet.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I second the recommendation for the NOE version of the 311414. As noted, the advantage is that the nose portion is just a bit smaller and doesn't hang up in tight throats.
    Loren

I ordered one. Not like I needed another bullet mold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast