RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 202gr 7.62x54r, H4831 vs. H4895 starting load?

Boolit Bub

202gr 7.62x54r, H4831 vs. H4895 starting load?

Hello. I will be firing some 202gr NOE 316299 boolits out of my M39 Mosin Nagant. I have both H4831 and H4895 powders, which were recommended to me for this application. However, my reloading manuals don't have any data for these powders. Based on my searching of this forum, I have come to the conclusion that 28gr would be a good starting load with the H4895, and 40gr for the H4831. Could someone confirm that these are safe/good starting points for my loads? Also, would the use of Dacron be advised in conjunction with either of these powders? Thanks.

I would use the duft of dacron with the 4895, I cant advise with the slower powder as Ive never used it before.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

My best groups using 4895 were with a 32 gr. I think that 28gr is a good starting point. However 32 gr of varget gave me better groups.

Boolit Grand Master

Starting loads for both powders;

4895; 28 gr

4831; 36 gr

Use a 1/2 - 3/4 gr dacron filler with both. If you get to 85% loading desnity with the 4831 (probably won't before accuracy goes south) drop the dacron filler. work up in 1 gr increments with both. Accuracy/velocity test with minimum of 5 shot groups but 7 - 10 shot groups is much, much better for reliable assurance the load is consistent. When you find the accuracy load then teak at +/- with 1/2 gr. Do final group testing with 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Larry Gibson

I just read something about not to use fillers, something about the barrel ringing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by filric48 View Post
    I just read something about not to use fillers, something about the barrel ringing.
    Barrels (actually chambers) get rung from the use of wads, not a proper filler like dacron.

You might want to read this "sticky" for the correct information;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109280

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    anyone using h4831 with 123 gr fmj in there 7.62x54r

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daverson View Post
    anyone using h4831 with 123 gr fmj in there 7.62x54r
    Not enough bullet weight for such a slow powder as H4831. A heavier bullet gives more resistance to help build pressure which that slow powder needs to burn correctly. Now if you were using a much heavier bullet that powder is fine. Include a case crimp with it as that helps it initially to burn better at start up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Starting loads for both powders;

4895; 28 gr

4831; 36 gr

Use a 1/2 - 3/4 gr dacron filler with both. If you get to 85% loading desnity with the 4831 (probably won't before accuracy goes south) drop the dacron filler. work up in 1 gr increments with both. Accuracy/velocity test with minimum of 5 shot groups but 7 - 10 shot groups is much, much better for reliable assurance the load is consistent. When you find the accuracy load then teak at +/- with 1/2 gr. Do final group testing with 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Larry Gibson
    Take the above as near Holy writ, I stopped with the filler with 4895 around 31 ish grains and still maintained the accuracy I was looking for with heavy boolits has checked and pcd, that 28-30ish window has been a sweet spot for several of the old Russian war horses I've played with over the years.
    A very very deep and through cleaning of the bore and bolt face is something else I'd strongly recommend.
    As well as slugging the barrel of each specimen I've found from .311 ish up to .314 and good luck getting Accuracy with a 312 boolit from a 314 bore.
    My current favorite is a Chinese 53 that had the worst wood I'd ever seen but a almost pristine bore. It shot alright but when I removed some wood from the barrel channel she became a sweet heart, her favorite is the lee 185 gcd and powder coated with about 30 grains h4895 sized to .312.

Boolit Grand Master

In CBA Military Rifle matches I use a Finn SAKO M39. I use 28.5 gr IMR 4895 (milsurp) under either Lyman or NOE 314299 in Norma cases, wlr primers and a 1 to 1 1/2 gr Dacron filler. Velocity runs 1830 fps. Accuracy is excellent. Shooting at 100 yards for score on NRA 600/100 reduced target...Have won AZ state match last 3 years with that load.

Attachment 214050
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-12-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Nice target.

Just used this thread for info regarding 8mm Mauser and the Lee Karibiner Mould.
    I have some H450 that I want to use up and this data looks like it will work, starting at 36 gr. Wasn’t even looking for it, and there it was!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Naga View Post
    Hello. I will be firing some 202gr NOE 316299 boolits out of my M39 Mosin Nagant. I have both H4831 and H4895 powders, which were recommended to me for this application. However, my reloading manuals don't have any data for these powders. Based on my searching of this forum, I have come to the conclusion that 28gr would be a good starting load with the H4895, and 40gr for the H4831. Could someone confirm that these are safe/good starting points for my loads? Also, would the use of Dacron be advised in conjunction with either of these powders? Thanks.
    Still developing the load for my 91/30 so this is not a final but it may turn out to be a good load anyways if it's repeatable. I shot this 5 shot test load over the weekend using my Accurate 215 gr. FN bullet sized to .314" LARS 2500+ lube and Gator gas checks. No velocity reading yet but next time I'm out in a couple weeks I get the chrono out.

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Nice target.

Just used this thread for info regarding 8mm Mauser and the Lee Karibiner Mould.
    I have some H450 that I want to use up and this data looks like it will work, starting at 36 gr. Wasn’t even looking for it, and there it was!
    Thank you.
    You'll probably want to use a magnum or CCI #34 primer with that H450. Think of it as good metering 4831.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

In CBA Military Rifle matches I use a Finn SAKO M39. I use 28.5 gr IMR 4895 (milsurp) under either Lyman or NOE 314299 in Norma cases, wlr primers and a 1 to 1 1/2 gr Dacron filler. Velocity runs 1830 fps. Accuracy is excellent. Shooting at 100 yards for score on NRA 600/100 reduced target...Have won AZ state match last 3 years with that load.

Attachment 214050
    Hi!

I’m curious to know if that load have enough pressure to make the action of a svt 40 to work properly?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kegcaissy View Post
    Hi!

I’m curious to know if that load have enough pressure to make the action of a svt 40 to work properly?
    I have no idea since I don't have an SVT40, probably only one way to find out.......?

I do know that 28 - 29 gr 4895 with a Dacron filler under a 311299 will function some M1s in 30-06, in .308W most all M14/M1As and FN/FALs (with the gas system properly adjusted).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Just to report, that Karabiner was hammering bullseyes offhand at 50.
    That was with the H450, 35-37 grains + Dacron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Just to report, that Karabiner was hammering bullseyes offhand at 50.
    That was with the H450, 35-37 grains + Dacron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is a timely post. I have a lb. of old H450 that smells good- now I know where it'll go. Tikka T3 8x57 mm with boolits!

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    Still developing the load for my 91/30 so this is not a final but it may turn out to be a good load anyways if it's repeatable. I shot this 5 shot test load over the weekend using my Accurate 215 gr. FN bullet sized to .314" LARS 2500+ lube and Gator gas checks. No velocity reading yet but next time I'm out in a couple weeks I get the chrono out.

Dam - that's handsome cartridge!

I notice a little bid of boolit yaw there. It would be interesting to see if it diminishes or gets worse at longer ranges.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Dam - that's handsome cartridge!

I notice a little bid of boolit yaw there. It would be interesting to see if it diminishes or gets worse at longer ranges.
    That might have come from the target being mounted on a cardboard box and the wind was blowing at that time as well moving the box a bit.

I have no idea since I don't have an SVT40, probably only one way to find out.......?

I do know that 28 - 29 gr 4895 with a Dacron filler under a 311299 will function some M1s in 30-06, in .308W most all M14/M1As and FN/FALs (with the gas system properly adjusted).
    Just put my hands on 2 svt rifles. We will know shortly.
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast