MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you count your bullets after casting and sorting?

Boolit Master
    Cast till I've had enough ,count them after lubing and sizing.

Boolit Master
    I weigh the pile and divide boolit weight into it to get within a close estimate.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    God no, weigh them!

If you weigh the sorted bullets you cast that session on a postal scale, and you know how much a bullet from that batch weighs (I tend to weigh 5 or so from each batch and write down the results and the calculated SD and ED) then you can very accurately determine how many bullets you have in that batch.

I'm sure as heck not counting out hundreds or thousands of bullets after a session or weekend of casting, but do like to know how many I produced to figure out my reject rate (weighing the bullets I sorted as well of course) and other assorted things.

You have a scale anyways to calculate the correct proportions of different alloys to produce the desired one for those particular boolits, right?
    My method and attitude! ^^^^^^

Boolit Buddy
    I used a postal scale today to count up the last batch I cast. Thought about doing it that way before, just wondered what others did or if they counted at all. I had everything weighed and figured in about 5 minutes. Sure beat grouping 1,560 bullets into groups of ten for counting. Lol Didn't think I had quite that many. Had about 300 more 223 bullets than I figured. They don't look like much in the bottom on my water bucket. Always ends up being a lot more than I figured.

Boolit Grand Master

I load my pistol ammo in bulk, with a pet load, and I don't know the amount. About 3.5K of 45's, prolly about the same in 38, 357, 40, 44's. The loaded rounds are in an ammo can and the empty go into another can. Before the loaded ones are used up I start casting again. I did the samething with 308's and 223's when I was shooting an M1-A and and an AR more. Counting probably would be good because I have misjudged the amounts a few times. If I'm short I have to stop and cast a few more. If I have too many I either store them away or remelt them. I'm working on getting better organized. I really am! I'm prepping 44's as we speak and I plan to save the empty primer boxes as a counting method.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a device on my main press that counts cycles of the press and gives statistics on rounds loaded rounds per hour and so on. I got curious one day at what the actual output rate was on the sizer with bullet feeder so I rigged up a micro switch up to the bullet feed which gives me a count of bullets sized.

Boolit Grand Master

I could cast 2000 more bullets in the time it takes you to count your original 1000 bullets. I don't even take the time to weigh them. I'm glad I don't have OCD, life is too short.

Boolit Grand Master

The member that I bought my Star sizer from had a mechanical counter rigged up on the sizer that he kept. I wish I had taken a picture of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123