MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you count your bullets after casting and sorting?

Boolit Buddy

Do you count your bullets after casting and sorting?

My process has been to cast, then go through and sort good vs remelts. Then I would arrange the bullets by type in rows of 10 to know many I made that session. Usually anywhere from 450-1,100 bullets each time I cast. I usually cast 4-6 different types of bullets during a session. Has gotten kind of tedious and time consuming counting after sorting, etc. Thinking of trying to do it by weight now to save time and get a close approx number. Honestly, not even sure why I do it, lol. Does anybody else bother? I just like to keep my plastic jugs full of ready to load bullets. So after I count them they just end up in trays waiting to be sized/lubed and finally into those containers with hundreds more that I don't really know how many are in there. Waste of time? Lol

I count them after casting. If it is air drop, after I let them cool; water drop, after they dry off.
    I count *roughly* by 10s so it is just an estimate.

Moderator Emeritus

I count pours and assume 10% culls. I cast enough to load what I plan for or 500 to store.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    No, I usually start out with 10 or 20 lbs of alloy so I do the math after casting.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I try to cast as needed.
    If I plan on loading a cal.
    I count my empty brass and then
    make that many plus another 50 or
    so for culling.
    That way I can make it through the
    winter, with out going stur crazy!!!!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

I cast from 2-4 different molds at a time. Quench and spread out to dry. Next day I cull, sort & count. Store in boxes of 500.

I load my pistol ammo into boxes of 50 or 100rds. I load in batches of 300-500. So I wanna know if I have enough bullets to load a given batch.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    God no, weigh them!

If you weigh the sorted bullets you cast that session on a postal scale, and you know how much a bullet from that batch weighs (I tend to weigh 5 or so from each batch and write down the results and the calculated SD and ED) then you can very accurately determine how many bullets you have in that batch.

I'm sure as heck not counting out hundreds or thousands of bullets after a session or weekend of casting, but do like to know how many I produced to figure out my reject rate (weighing the bullets I sorted as well of course) and other assorted things.

You have a scale anyways to calculate the correct proportions of different alloys to produce the desired one for those particular boolits, right?

Boolit Master

I'm somewhat OCD so I count all mine. I like to powder coat so I do this not too long after I cast it's easier to size. After sizing I label the jar/box "qty., cal., weight, type and sized.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I count by 50s.

Take the plastic/styrofoam bin that comes in a box of factory and every time you fill up every hole in the bin its 50, put in ziplock baggies every two trays and it's really simple and fast to know how many you got put away.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master

Depends. . .

Tumble lube - rough guess based on approximate weight and what was in the pot.

Lube-sized - gets staged after lube in the compartments of plastic 50rd. Federal/Speer .45 ACP ammo box liners, so the math is real easy from there.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I don't count them. I cast with 3 different moulds at once, throw the cooled culls into the pot for next time. I size them and lube them and load them till I run out of brass or boolits.

Boolit Master

Heck no. Which is weird, since my nature is to be OCD about all things reloading.

I cast until the pile of fresh boolits tells me, "it's about enough for now." Then they get PC'd, sized then into a plastic storage container.

Only when I drain the storage container down to the last 100 or so do I count to know how many primers to load into the APS strips.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 01-14-2019 at 01:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Not usually. I learned early on what a pile of approx. 100-150 , a pile of approx. 300-500, and piles that are approx. larger than 500+ look like for each caliber I cast, so I do not see the need to count them each casting session. I am not looking for exact amounts of shootable boolits when I cast. I just want to reach an approximate number of what type I am casting, so I estimate "high" knowing there will be "culls" in with the good ones.

So, for pistol boolits, I usually only count them when preparing to load them, with pan lubed, or to tumble lube them, before loading. I cull them as I go, the ones getting pan lubed are culled before going into the pans, then again right before loading( pan lubed ones) in case I missed one that was a "cull", or, I cull as I am counting the boolits to tumble lube before loading. The culls go into the "re-cast" container, and the rest get loaded.

Rifle boolits are not counted either, until time to load, but so far, they are all pan lubed & culling is also done during each step, like the pistol boolits that are pan lubed.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I use weight. I have containers that hold 20lbs of bullets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I don't count them. I cast with 3 different moulds at once, throw the cooled culls into the pot for next time. I size them and lube them and load them till I run out of brass or boolits.
    Same here. If I see the Cb are getting low. I fire up the kettle and pour 100 or so pounds. I will cast for many calibers at a time. Then powder coat them.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    They get counted when I load them, usually by the hundred, as that is one primer tube's worth.

I do get a rough estimate from the amount of alloy used up in a session (# of ingots of a given weight range, and known # of casts per pound), and a better estimate when I weigh the casts to HiTek them. The coated and baked casts get stored in buckets of about a thousand, based on weight.

Banned
    I don't count them while casting. The bullets get cast, rejects are culled and tossed back in the pot. When done the bullets are stored as-cast.

For my standard loads I don't even count them when sizing or loading. The completed rounds just go into ammo cans. I gave up on 50 round ammo boxes years ago, it serves no purpose.

Now when loading some of my non-standard loads, I'll count the brass I intend to load and size/lube just enough bullets to load those casings. I prefer to store the un-loaded bullets in their as cast un-lubed state.

Heck naw...don't be counting them thangs...they are like jelly beans. Just keep an eye on the jars and keep them reasonably full and they will always be there when you want them.
    Also, this way...you don't have to cast first each time to load a specific round...it's like a candy store, walk up to the jars and get your candy for the day.
    Simple huh?

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I don't count them. I have a bunch of the clear mixed nuts containers. I cast and after they cool I PC and put in the container. When it is full I figure that I have enough for now and move on to the next casting needed.

Boolit Grand Master

No, I don't count but it would be pretty easy if I did. I use mostly cigar boxes for storage and stack them neatly inside. Simple math to count the rows and multiply by the number in a row. I save the backer boards off of note pads for using to separate the layers. I'll eventually have to find something else since paper note pads are about a thing of the past.

I also don't sort or cull as a separate operation. What I do is cull the obvious rejects when casting, again when sizing and again when loading. I actually have a really low number of rejects that make it to the sizer and even fewer that get loaded. The lube makes for good flux when remelting! I guess that overall I have a pretty good casting technique because once the mold is up to temp and throws good bullets I seldom get a bad one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast