Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The thrill of the Hunt! (Kind of)

Boolit Buddy

The thrill of the Hunt! (Kind of)

How many on this forum enjoy the search and scrounging aspect of finding good alloy enjoyable?Or even more enjoyable than casting or smelting. Whether it's WW metal, range scrap or Plumbing lead.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I enjoy the finding not so much the looking anymore.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I am always on the lookout for
    more lead.
    You never know where it might
    show up.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    At work was introduced to someone and first thing I asked him was got any lead you don’t need. Everyone in my department knows I cast boolits and look for lead. This guy looked surprised, and I was equally surprised when he said he did. His neighbor who was old and dying had lived through the great depression and still found value in things that others didn’t. He gave the guy a 50 lb slab of lead and told him not to throw it away... it had value.

He brought it in to work the next day and I alloyed it and it’s now in 1/2 and 1 lb Lee ingots in my lead stash. You never know where your next lead fix will come from.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

I always enjoyed the aspects of hunting for lead and the smelting process. I can't honestly say I like it better than casting but I don't find it to be the dreaded chore that some do. My smelting set up has evolved into a fairly efficient process although there is still a certain amount of work involved. As silly as it sounds, I rather enjoy sorting wheel weights too! I sorted a bucket and a half for a friend last week. I split a 5600# score with the same friend summer before last and I think I sorted all of those weights. My Wife says it keeps me off of the streets and out of the bars!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I really enjoy finding it and then stacking up the ingots I’ve poured from it.

Boolit Master
    I don't find dealing with tire shops and scrap yards much of a thrill an more.

Boolit Grand Master
    My wife almost revolts when I stop and pick up WW's in the street. just the price I pay...………….

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    My wife almost revolts when I stop and pick up WW's in the street. just the price I pay...………….
    But......but.......you are saving the environment from a deadly poison!......and recycling too!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    But......but.......you are saving the environment from a deadly poison!......and recycling too!
    I just tell mine that I'm saving a Condor or a Pigeon.

When I get new tires, I still walk around the parking lot picking up scattered wheel weights.
    I don't hunt Lead like I used to after a big score several years ago.

A buddy who is a Plumber and job superintendent had a project one time in remodeling a entire floor in a hospital.
    They demo-ed out a few X-Ray rooms. Behind all the sheetrock was 1/8" Lead sheeting.
    His guys had it all rolled up and ready to cash in when he told them he had to take it all to a HAZMAT site
    that would accept radio active materials. It took 2 trips in his pickup to bring it all over to my back yard.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Winger Ed.;4549955]

A buddy who is a Plumber and job superintendent had a project one time in remodeling a entire floor in a hospital.
    They demo-ed out a few X-Ray rooms. Behind all the sheetrock was 1/8" Lead sheeting.
    His guys had it all rolled up and ready to cash in when he told them he had to take it all to a HAZMAT site
    that would accept radio active materials. It took 2 trips in his pickup to bring it all over

That's just wrong! LOL

[QUOTE=ChristopherO;4550064]
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's just wrong! LOL
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=ChristopherO;4550064]
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's just wrong! LOL
    I agree! Sounds like something that I would do! I would have bought my buddy and his crew lunch or some beer or something.

[QUOTE=lightman;4550102]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    I agree! Sounds like something that I would do! I would have bought my buddy and his crew lunch or some beer or something.
    Yeah, we skinned 'em on that one, but all things considered, he took good care of his crew.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I loved the hunt when I started out. It was fun learning where to look, how to test the metal, what equipment to acquire to melt, alloy and ingot it, store it, label it, inventory it, and of course, cast it.

I still like casting, but I cast in volume for the action pistol game. Better for me now to draw from my stockpile of analyzed alloy or go to my known reliable sources of alloy in bulk with predictable content rather than spend the time scrounging for lead in small quantities or of unknown content. For instance, I'm pretty sure I could score a keel or two from a nearby marina, but the lead might not be what I want to use, and I don't have the equipment or transport needed. Easier for me to stay with what I already have set up.

I still hunt for and enjoy scoring tin.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-15-2019 at 05:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I like big scores but I prefer those big scores to be lots of small stuff vs one large piece. You're exactly right about having the ways and means to deal with a sail boat keel or a huge counter weight. I would choose 50 buckets of wheel weights over a big chunk of lead equaling the same weight. I probably have the stuff to deal with a huge weight and for sure can borrow anything I would need, but its a lot of work.

Boolit Master
    In my younger days my father chopped up a big chunk of lead that I found with his torch. Gotta watch the fumes with that much heat though.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Love the hunt and the acquiring of lead. When a distant relative passed some years back I got an entire shed full of Lyman #2 ingots and a than a few winters ago a fellow member here scored a huge roll of sheet lead and we split it 3 ways if I recall correctly. And last summer a fellow from one of my firearms classes gave me several hundred pounds of tin blocks. And around the same time I traded brass for a MFRB of 60/40 tin soddering strips . The first house I bought after getting out out of the Corps had a tire shop across
    The alley and I scored a 5 gallon bucket every few weeks! Still have 2 full buckets; just don’t enjoy smelting dirty wheel weights when I have much cleaner ready made or easily made alloy at hand.

Still have some stock needing alloyed... six 200 pound rolls of roofing lead, half a dozen buckets of WW, and most of a 55 gallon drum of linotype and typemetal letters, and big printers headline blocks and advertising artwork I need to sort through.
    I smelted and alloyed about 2000 pounds of roofing materials, vent caps and babbit a few years ago and haven't been able to get excited about it since.

I just don't hunt for it anymore....had to tell my roofing contractor to stop delivering lead.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast