RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Sig P320 M17

Boolit Buddy

Sig P320 M17

Hello, I’m seriously looking into getting a Sig P320 M17 here sometime this year. I was planning on buying a Glock 19 or building a polymer 80 but I saw a m17 in a shop and started looking at them. I am wondering if anyone had one and if so what they thought. I’ve read and watched a lot of reviews and they are generally all positive but no one has ever put more then 1000 rounds through one OR has reloads let alone cast boolits through it. I’ve never owned a Sig, a 9mm, a double stack pistol, or a striker fired gun so this will be a totally new adventure if I end up getting one.
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Grand Master

I don't own one, but I can guarantee it has been tested thoroughly by the United States military. I do have another Sig model, they are wonderful cast bullet shooters. Standard rifling, generous throats, and will feed ANYTHING. Accuracy is very good, you have to work a lot harder to make a Glock shoot as well. If you are someone who sees no point in shooting a handgun past 20 yards, this is of no concern.

Boolit Master
    I own the P320 RX Compact. Was looking for a DAO handgun with a rail for mounting a light. I've been using reflex type sights for twenty years and prefer them over open sights. This handgun comes standard with night sights that are of suppressor height, making them able to be seen through the reflex's lens. A plus, if the battery ever fails. Battery life is very long. I've owned this pistol for about two years and the sight is always turned on.............still haven't had to replace it. Very good DAO trigger. Digests all my cast loadings for the multiple nines, I own. Very accurate pistol. Takedown is simple and straightforward. Slide manipulation is easy, just ask my wife.

Even though this model is listed as a compact, it is not the case in my opinion. I personally, wouldn't want it any larger.....it's larger than my Browning HP.

The M-17 model is a copy of the US service pistol. Main difference is the presence of a ambidextrous thumb activated safety. Which is something I don't think is necessary, but evidently, the guberment does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080967.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	233936

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I don't know about the M17 model but the Sig P320 Full Size 9MM I got in 2017 is an outstanding weapon. Awesome trigger and totally reliable, it likes any boolit sized .358 I feed it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    I don't know about the M17 model but the Sig P320 Full Size 9MM I got in 2017 is an outstanding weapon. Awesome trigger and totally reliable, it likes any boolit sized .358 I feed it.
    Same here I got the same standard full size P320 and its one of the most reliable guns I own. Trigger is little heavy for a competition gun but for defensive purposes its just fine. Never jams or complains and just keeps on going. It will eat any bullet profile you have. I should probably send it back to Sig for the voluntary trigger upgrade. One of these days I'll get to it.

Beats the heck out of all Glocks if you ask me. P320 also fits my hands well and feels like a glove so that helps too. You cant go wrong with P320.

If you are looking for a striker fired 9 with longer barrel I would also recommend looking at Walther PPQ Q5 or its less expensive clone Canik TP9 SFX. Both of those have probably the best factory striker fired trigger to date. Easy to work on too.
    Last edited by marek313; 01-14-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by b money View Post
    Hello, I’m seriously looking into getting a Sig P320 M17 here sometime this year. I was planning on buying a Glock 19 or building a polymer 80 but I saw a m17 in a shop and started looking at them. I am wondering if anyone had one and if so what they thought. I’ve read and watched a lot of reviews and they are generally all positive but no one has ever put more then 1000 rounds through one OR has reloads let alone cast boolits through it. I’ve never owned a Sig, a 9mm, a double stack pistol, or a striker fired gun so this will be a totally new adventure if I end up getting one.
    I've had the same question in my head. Ive only shot the Glock19 once. Being a 1911 guy, the Glock felt awkward in my hand... it didn't want to point where it should. That's just me, I'm sure. "Old dogs and all..." I owned a Sig P938 for a couple weeks a few years ago and got rid of it as fast as I could and bought a Ruger LC9s. It was significantly easier to take down and felt so much better in my hand. I really want to try the M17... I have a few M9's that I just love but I need to see what the USG saw in the M17. Frankly, I still don't see why the 1911 was abandoned. (Well, maybe my mind does but, my heart still thinks that shooting the 1911 and the M1 Garand are the most fun one can have with their cloths on.

If you do get the M17, please be sure to tell us what you think of it.
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Buddy
    Other striker fired pistol with pretty good trigger is the HK VP9 . Walther PPQ & Sig 320X5 are also quite good . The Canik's while they have nice triggers are prone to breaking firing pins & with factory RSA usually choke on lighter than NATO spec loads .

Boolit Bub
    Really like my p320, put a apex flat trigger in it. It seems to eat everything I feed it!

Boolit Master

I bought the P320 sub-compact to replace my officers model 45. Not exactly happy replacing a 45 with a 9, but it carries so much better, plus I get 13 rounds as opposed to 7.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I’m really looking forward to getting one. Now coyote Tan or the black bravo model? Hmm also one more question I’ve read that the P320 comes in 45acp but it is a stand alone model so if I buy a m17 I would have to buy another whole Gun in 45acp no conversion kit now or in the future. Anyone hear anything similar?

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    I’m really looking forward to getting one. Now coyote Tan or the black bravo model? Hmm also one more question I’ve read that the P320 comes in 45acp but it is a stand alone model so if I buy a m17 I would have to buy another whole Gun in 45acp no conversion kit now or in the future. Anyone hear anything similar?
    As I understand the P320 frame for the .45 ACP is different than the frame for the 9MM/40SW.

I owned the Compact/Carry version of the 45. It was a great shooting weapon, but I found the bore axis to be a bit high for me. I did try to see if a 9mm upper fit, and it did not. Sold the Sig, and went back to the M&P 45. The only reason for that is I shoot them better, and they fit my hand better. I had zero malfunctions in the Sig with cast RN, cast and plated SWC, or any hollow point round I shot in it. I had 1150rds through it before I sold it.

Boolit Master
    I almost bought one last year. It was between the Sig, HK VP9 and Springfield XDM. Got the HK and am happy with it....but, IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of them (or the FN or Walther).

Boolit Master

For that sort of thing, I am all about Glocks above Sigs just for it being a simpler gun with fewer parts, that's easier to wrench on, with a lower bore axis and a much longer track record.

But in a world where we have so many REALLY nice 9mm 1911's on the market, why mess with the Euro-plastic at all?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

I have a full size 320 and it is all that and a bag of chips.
    As noted above, bet your life reliable and eats everything.
    Want another.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input, I’ve now had the chance to hold and point 2 m17’s both brand new so I couldn’t do much more then that but just that alone they both felt great in my hand. I’ve always been “the” 1911 guy all others are junk type but a few years ago I shot a friends glock 19 and man did that thing shoot well for me, point aim boom. That was all that was needed so I started looking at polymer 80 and in the mean time fired more glocks same story. But then I held a P320 and wow it just felt great in my hand. The glocks never really felt bad but comparing them I could feel I was holding a blocker item, the Sig just seemed to fit in my hand. I haven’t held a hk vp9 but they look very textured and like something that would tear your hand up I have no idea though. Plus on the Sig the serialized part isn’t the frame so you have tons of options to either change the pistol or if something breaks. So that is my main reason going this route,

Μολὼν λάβε