WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Beef Barbacoa by the TEXAS Beef Council

Moderator Emeritus

Beef Barbacoa by the TEXAS Beef Council

This was on KLTV the other night and gave it a try.....wow oh wow oh wow makes ya wanna slap yo momma....but dont!

one 3 - 5 lbs. beef cheek or chuck roast cut into 4" pieces
    1 C. orange juice
    1/2 C. lime juice
    1 C. water
    1/2 can chipotle in adobo, diced
    1/2 C. brown sugar
    1/4 C. apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. salt
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 onion, diced
    optional ingredients
    • cilantro (leaves stripped from stalks and leaves chopped)
    • tortillas
    • lime wedges
    • sour cream

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients, except optional ingredients into a large bowl (and cover) or large zip-lock bag and marinate for 2 to 24 hours.
    Add marinated beef and leftover marinade to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 - 8 hours or until fork tender.
    Carefully remove beef from cooker with little sauce as possible. Placing on a cutting board , shred beef with two forks and return to cooker.
    Cook for additional 10 to 60 minutes to allow meat to absorb remaining liquid.

Warm tortillas ( we use flour) in microwave and using a slotted spoon remove meat and marinated vegetables from the sauce and to that add chopped Cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice (1/4 of lime per street taco) roll up and enjoy. My wife loves sour cream so she adds that as well.

I made a mistake and added a whole can of chipotle in adobo sauce.....a little more heat but if you are heat sensative use the 1/2 can.
    Last edited by buckwheatpaul; 01-13-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I made something like that only with chicken.
    It was fantastic.
    I've got to make this.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Sounds too good not to try ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    5 cloves, or 5 cloves garlic?

Moderator Emeritus

5 garlic cloves........
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    1st Ingredient says beef cheek, is this correct?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    1st Ingredient says beef cheek, is this correct?
    That is correct....in the Mexican culture beef cheek is origional for Barbacoa.....I used a old freezer roast and it came out great!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for posting, I made a different recipe for Barbacoa using a deer's neck it came out good. Your recipe looks good as well. I most certainly will give it a try.

rrh

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    Thanks for posting, I made a different recipe for Barbacoa using a deer's neck it came out good. Your recipe looks good as well. I most certainly will give it a try.

rrh
    rrh thanks for the suggestion....will give 'er a whirl! Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    5 garlic cloves........
    That sounds better, I have used pies spices in barbecue before, but only on pork.

sounds great.

Boolit Master

I've got a 3.5 lb. roast marinating even now.
    Will cook it up tomorrow and I'll let everyone know how it turned out.

chuck roast - this work with the normally poor/cheap store cuts?
    Placing on a cutting board , shred beef with two forks and return to cooker.
    Cook for additional 10 to 60 minutes to allow meat to absorb remaining liquid. like a pulled pork taco?
    She does the roast in onion soup but cubes it for tacos, usually just for poor cuts that are tough.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    chuck roast - this work with the normally poor/cheap store cuts?
    Placing on a cutting board , shred beef with two forks and return to cooker.
    Cook for additional 10 to 60 minutes to allow meat to absorb remaining liquid. like a pulled pork taco?
    She does the roast in onion soup but cubes it for tacos, usually just for poor cuts that are tough.
    Popper....it does work with old and cheap cuts of meat. I did not use a cutting board as the liquid trapped in the meat would run off onto our counter tops....shredded in a wide bowl......by returning the shredded meat to the marinade it just allows the meat to be more tasty with all the spices.....would work with pork, chicken, venison neck etc.....Paul

Moderator Emeritus

Roll that shredded beef in a flour tortilla with some cheese burrito style but fold both ends in. Fry until golden brown, chimichanga time with more cheese, sour cream, salsa...

Boolit Master

Well it's been in the crock pot for over 3 hours and its starting to bubble.
    I tasted the sauce and it seemed to be missing something. I add a teaspoon of
    Worcestershire sauce and it made a great difference in the flavor.
    It smells good cooking.

Boolit Master

Well, I don't have time to respond, but these Beef Barbacoa's were great. Along with the cilantro and sour cream we add some cheddar cheese and cumin.

Boolit Buddy

I made the recipe, good grief that is GOOD ! We ate it as burritos. Thanks for sharing!

Tried this tonight with the teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce suggested by Hickory on a cheap Sirloin Round Tip something or other.

Kept it simple. Corn tortillas heated up on the burner (NOT fried), grilled onions, grated Cotija, pinch of cilantro and SWMBO canned salsa.

yeah. This is ridiculous good food. Sending it to my Mom and Sis.

Thanks buckwheatpaul.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Grand Master
    I had it several times made by Mexican and Central American friends. Hondurans used lamb.
    Gotta try this.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin