RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Scope and Mounts for Marlin .30-30

Boolit Master

Scope and Mounts for Marlin .30-30

Christmas before last I gave our older son a Marlin 30AW that was extra to me. Since then he has bought an non-working farm and wants to put a scope on it. I don't have much experience with scopes so I couldn't give him specific advice. He wants to use it to carry around the property and possibly get a shot at the occasional coyote. Not much chance that any shot would be over 100 yds.

He has other guns for deer, etc. and doesn't want a high end scope. I recommended that he look at either fixed 4X or low powered variable. Mounts, I'm completely in the dark. Any help appreciated.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I had a Weaver 2 1/2X on a 336 and at 100 yards it was all the scope I needed. A 4x would do a little better but not much. Songdogs are not that tough at 100 yards, unless they are running and that is another story. james

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For that application, Leupold VX-1 1-4x20 or 2-7x32. They will fit perfectly and are tough as nails. Be sure to use quality bases and rings, no see-through garbage period! The Weaver brand bases and rings are a good low cost choice.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The one piece Weaver mount base (63b) and a set of Weaver or other decent rings work well. A 2-7x32 scope by Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell will work fine. I like the one piece 63B Weaver base as a slot can be added near the existing slot to allow the scope to be positioned more forward for better eye relief in some cases.

This is a new made in China Weaver clone mount from Leupold. Generic rings. The old K4 has a small enough ocular bell that I don't have to use a hammer extension. It works for me but original Weaver mounts are of higher quality. I've had great luck over the years with Bushnell fixed 4x scopes, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is that a Glenfield 30? What kind of loads do you feed it? I have one and it is super accurate, in fact I just put a Leupold VX-3 1-5x20 on it. Yep, a $400.00 scope on a $200.00 rifle!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It's the first Glenfield; a 36G and it'll put three j-words into .75" often enough to say it will. I haven't dove deep in the cast pool yet for it- but I will.
    I don't know the number, but Weaver makes/made a mount that when you took off the scope, the irons were useable. I want that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a Weaver 63b base and rings with a Weaver V 1.5-3x20 on my 336A. It us ideal for close shooting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    For that application, Leupold VX-1 1-4x20 or 2-7x32. They will fit perfectly and are tough as nails. Be sure to use quality bases and rings, no see-through garbage period! The Weaver brand bases and rings are a good low cost choice.
    +1. Probably the 2-7x, carried for the most part with the power turned all the way down.

I would spend a little more on the STEEL Leupold STD type 1-piece base & rings since you can take the scope out of the box (windage presumably centered at the factory) and zero it for windage on the bases without having to take much adjustment out of the scope.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Another idea could be a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Sight. For the distances you are talking it is much faster to get on target with than a scope and it is easy to hit a man sized target at 200 yards with virtually every shot.

Also it won't destroy the handling of the gun since they only weigh 3 oz.

I have them on all my Carbines and putting one on a Marlin .30-30 isn't that much of a stretch. You'd need a section of Pic Rail to mount on the top of the receiver in the scope mount holes, and the sight. Pretty easy set up.

Also you could do it for <$100 !

Her's a pic of my Ruger Scout Rifle so you can get some idea of how it would look. You'll have to use your imagination to substitute the 336 under the sight.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Does the Weaver 63B base let you use the iron sights? The one I have in the pic blocks the view.

I have a Burris steel one piece base and turn in rings on mine. The sights on my 30 are kind of cheap and low profile, pretty much any base would block their use. When I scope my 336, it will probably have Warne bases and QD rings so I can use the sights if needed. The 336 sights are higher profile.