RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullets for .35 Remington Plinking Loads

Boolit Mold

Cast Bullets for .35 Remington Plinking Loads

I've been experimenting with coated cast bullets from Missouri Bullets in my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I'm working on developing plinking loads using .38/.357 bullets over Unique and possibly HP-38. So far I like the "Ranger" bullet best, over 10 gr of Unique (normal warnings that this is my load and you use it at your risk and should follow all reloading safety precautions).

One issue I didn't think about, but should have, is neck tension. Since .35 Rem jacketed bullets are .358', I had several instances where my .358" coated bullets were pushing right down into the case with finger pressure. I had full length resized the cases and then "flared" them with a Lyman M-die for .35 Rem. Once I figured out what the problem was, I chucked my extra decapper-neck sizer into the lathe and filed off about .002". I also did the same with the plug in the M-die. Now I get good resistance when using the M-die and excellent resistance when seating the bullet. My next issue is my Lee neck sizing die. I want to make the same reduction on a spare mandrel. I plan to call and see if I can special order an undersized mandrel, since they catalog them for several calibers before I try to do it myself. Has anyone tried to order one?

I've been getting my best groups with 10 gr of Unique, slightly better than with 9 gr. With 11 gr, my group opened up quite a bit. The GMDR report mentioned that they found that groups "blew up" with micro-groove barrels at a certain critical velocity (in the 30-30 it seemed to be about 1350 fps but they weren't using a micro-groove barrel in their .35 Rem test rifle). Mine has the micro-groove barrel, and although I haven't had the chance to chrony these loads the Lyman data would indicate I'm getting into that ballpark. Again, can anyone share their experience?

Boolit Bub
    Probably want to use a .360 bullet. The micro groove is not a problem if you have the right fit.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Slam'n Salmon View Post
    Probably want to use a .360 bullet. The micro groove is not a problem if you have the right fit.
    I agree. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone selling oversized coated lead bullets. I know I've special ordered oversized lubed lead bullets from MBC, so I'll have to ask them if they can do it for coated. I don't want to go back to uncoated, lubed bullets (just my personal bias).

In any case, the velocity I'm getting, whatever it actually is, is fine for what I'm trying to accomplish but a tighter bullet might further improve accuracy. They strike about 2" low at 50 yds, with the scope set for 1" high with Hornady LeveRevolution ammo. As I said, these are just for plinking.

I loaded Lyman 358315's, sized .358" over 11.0 gr Unique for 1", 10 shot 100 yd groups with my sons shooting them in their microgroove barreled Marlins. Winchester 158 gr, jacketed hollow points shot as well with 10.0 gr Unique but they had to single feed them. Both of these hit about 10" low at 100 yards.

I'm thinking about a 358156 with the SWC nose extended out at bore diameter. That's for a pre-micro groove barrel though.

For a plinker in the micro-groove, would a hard cast long bodied round nose like Lee's or Lyman's revolver molds work better for you?
    Reckon you'd still need to go oversized though.

A great plinker load that will basicly duplicate a 38 spl is 5 or 6 gr of your HP38/W231 , I use 5 gr Bullseye but the results will be similar
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    Think about adding a .38/.357 lever action rifle to the stable. Much easier to load for, and less expensive. My plinking bullets are 130 gr Mastercast's and they work very well.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I use a 125 Grain Truncated cone Commercial cast (CB Bullets) get them sized .360" with 5 grains of Bullseye ( No fillers) it is super accurate and quiet in my 60 era Marlin 336
    Took a 30 pound raccoon in my yard last winter...... dropped on the spot ( In a residential area!) Also a great fun target & plinking load
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned

I used to shoot a lot of Lyman 358311 (nominally 160 grain RN) .38 Special bullets with about 8 grains of Red Dot in mine. Nice plinking load.

Boolit Mold
    Just to provide an update, I finally made it to the range with the chrony and the Marlin. Using the 158 gr MBC coated LRN "Ranger" bullet, I got 1479 FPS average with an SD of 9 using 10 gr of Unique. I got 1542 fps average with an SD of 34 using 11 gr of Unique. The group also opened up again with the 11 gr load. The data was from five shots with each load. The cartridges were loaded at the same time with the same head stamp brass and the loads were individually measured and held to +/.1 gr (the best I could do with Unique while still maintaining patience and sanity). I think I've found my plinking load - at least until I finish this bottle of Unique and try new loads with Universal. I'll be interested to see how many reloads I can get with the brass before I see case mouth cracking. I also am curious to see how much drop I'll see at 100 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnedknuckles View Post
    Just to provide an update, I finally made it to the range with the chrony and the Marlin. Using the 158 gr MBC coated LRN "Ranger" bullet, I got 1479 FPS average with an SD of 9 using 10 gr of Unique. I got 1542 fps average with an SD of 34 using 11 gr of Unique. The group also opened up again with the 11 gr load. The data was from five shots with each load. The cartridges were loaded at the same time with the same head stamp brass and the loads were individually measured and held to +/.1 gr (the best I could do with Unique while still maintaining patience and sanity). I think I've found my plinking load - at least until I finish this bottle of Unique and try new loads with Universal. I'll be interested to see how many reloads I can get with the brass before I see case mouth cracking. I also am curious to see how much drop I'll see at 100 yds.
    Thanks for the info...

I also have been wondering about the performance of the .358" coated in micro-groove vs. traditionally lubed cast at .360"...

Still not sure why the bullet companies don't offer 'oversize' coated bullets, but the answer may be as simple as the coated bullets working just as well as oversized traditional bullets...

Boolit Mold
    I've been emailing with Missouri Bullet and they indicate they could possibly provide a .359" coated bullet on special order (I think that is the sizing die size, so maybe the coated bullet would be slightly larger). I may give some a try.

Boolit Mold
    However, in their email they felt that using the softer Cowboy #15 RNFP bullet at 12 BHN would be a better match. Since I purchased 500 of the harder Ranger and am satisfied with the accuracy I'm getting with 10 gr of Unique, it will probably be a while before I try either the oversized or the softer bullet. But I'd be very interested in the experience of others.

Boolit Mold
    Rifle shooting this winter has been slow, but I finally got some Universal powder and loaded some more test cartridges (8 gr to 11 gr in 1 gr steps) using the MBC 158 gr coated RNFP "Ranger" bullet. At 50 yds, I got better groups than with Unique and best groups at 11 gr (the highest I had loaded). I haven't had the chance to run them over the chrony, but hope to soon. In the meantime, I gave away the last 1/4 lb of Unique to a fellow club member who gave me 70 pieces of .35 Rem brass so I'm done with Unique.

One thing I have discovered is that after shooting the light loads, the brass still fits the case gauge, so I'm experimenting with neck sizing only with good results so far. I purchased a .002" undersized mandrel for the Lee neck size only die that works perfectly. The resulting cartridges fit and chamber without any problem. I neck size and prime the brass single stage, then finish loading in the Lee Classic Turret (Lyman M-die Expander, Lee Large Rifle Charging Die with Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure, Lee Seating Die, Lee Factory Crimp Die, in that order). The Universal meters great in the Lee Auto Disk and I'm testing to see whether the disk hole just short of 11 gr or just over 11 gr gives better results.

I've got to get to the range!

Boolit Buddy
    I use the cowboy #15 in mine with good results. Not the coated ones.

Boolit Master

A friend and I have been shooting his Marlin 336 Micro-groove with both the Lee 158swc gas check bullet and the NOE copy of the RCBS 200 rnfp. We are sizing both to .360". We found Unique to be a little dirty which was no surprise. We have settled on 8 gr. Red Dot. This has proven to be our accuracy load and was the minimum that would keep the headspace from shrinking in his rifle. Might give it a try if you have the opportunity.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Skinnedknuckles I looked at your velocities. Aren't you very close to handgun performance?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Skinnedknuckles I looked at your velocities. Aren't you very close to handgun performance?
    I'm a little above .357 Magnum handgun performance. I got about 1235 fps out of a 4" Taurus Model 66 with 15 gr H110 under a 158 gr plated bullet. The same load gave 1720 fps out of my Rossi Model 92. It was my goal to be in the .357 levergun range with these "gallery" loads, and that's about where I'm falling.

Dverna earlier suggested I add a .357 levergun to the stable, but I actually had the Rossi first and enjoy it. However, I like the feel of and shooting the Marlin, but not so much with full house loads (cost and recoil both). These are plinking loads and are pretty accurate at 50 yds. I still haven't had time to see what they do at 100 yds. They shoot pretty close to the same POI as 200 gr Hornady LeveRevolution ammo at 50 yds so I'm not fiddling with the scope, but I'm sure that won't be the case at 100 yds.

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    Does anyone have updated information to add to this thread ? I am looking at using MBC #15 cowboy Hy-Tek up-sized to .001 or .002 with Universal ? Thanks, Jerry

JW- that was a ring tailed bear, not a raccoon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast