RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: What’s my 450 bushmaster load’s muzzle velocity?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

What’s my 450 bushmaster load’s muzzle velocity?

I loaded up some lee 300 grain WFN boolits last year and tested them out of my 16.5” Ruger American 450 bushmaster rifle. My best loads came from 35.5 grains of H110. The alloy is 100% AC COWW. I had some groups that were a hair over MOA(1.196”). I never had a chance to run them across my chronograph yet. I’m not near my load books to try and look it up as well.

I would assume they have to have a muzzle velocity close to 2000 FPS? Anyone have the load data program they can run the numbers for me? Thanks
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-13-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Super interesting, loads are only tested to 35,000psi but you have an action that's used for 60,000psi cartridges. Bet that load really thumps in that little rifle! Find a chrono and get confirmed dada, love to know what it's doing

I’ve ran it all the way up to max 460 S&W loads with no pressure signs.

I posted here and 450bishmaster.net when I did it a year and a half ago.

http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15355

I loaded up a few that are WQ instead of AC since I have tons of the WQ boolits made and no AC anymore. I will run them through my chrony tomorrow.

Using the Lee 452-300 bullet profile, and your load data, I'm getting around 1,746fps at 25K CIP from Quickload.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks, I’ll try it across my chrony tomorrow to see how close quickload is. I was hoping it was at least a little closer to the 1900fps range.

34.4gr out of a 16” barrel using XTP j words says it 1850fps out of my Hornady load book.

I'm on my way back from the range. After my fowler shot. My chrony read...2078, 2075, 2061, and 2035...in thos order for the first four shoots. My fowler was 2002...I would assume from the residual left over oil from cleaning the barrel last night. I got a flyer and checked my chrony. The flyer clocked at 1977fps. I did two batches of loads. My second batch had a lot of consistency in the mid to high 1900fps. My fastest velocity was 2109. I think why it varried is my gun recoiled in my lead sled causing it not to be ligned up perfectly straight with my chrony. I realigned and shot 2060, 2072, and 2109.

So why the flyers and variences? I would assume my crimp style? My optic also came loose again! I checked the scope ring screws at the range and they were tight. I think I'm going to litterally have to glue my optic to my rings. I even used that tan scope mounting dust on my rings this time ...rosin. I would have liked to ran my 40 grain loads through!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-14-2019 at 02:55 PM.

What's your cartridge OAL? Curious why the large discrepancy from Quickload….. Although, I don't chrony much of my cast stuff, so perhaps that's normal for QL without a bunch of tweaks to make it work well with lead. I'm no expert at QL by any means.....maybe others will chime in that know more...…

As for the flyers.....neck tension is always a good place to look if you're absolutely sure your charges are consistent and your bench technique is consistent.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

OAL is 2.055”

I removed my optic and rings. I found one of the screws finger loose on the factory installed picatinny rail. It was the screw closest to the bolt and of course Ruger didn’t put any lock tite on it. I called als gun shop in Michigan who were the ones who originally did a special run on this rifle before Ruger catalogued it to ask if that was a common occurrence. They confirmed it was and said they lock tite all their bases before leaving their shop.

Long story short, I sent the rifle into Ruger for repair today. The trigger assembly rattles side to side so loosely I bet I could snap it out of the action without much force.

I just bought the new RCBS charge master light trickle powder charger. It’s pretty slick and throws an accurate charge. I trim my cases every loading. I set the taper crimp die with the first load so they all get crimped at the same pressure. I have been measuring the necks. I was told over on 450 bushmaster dot net to taper at .474” I pulled a boolit today and noticed PC removed when it crimped. I wonder if my crimp is too tight?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-15-2019 at 07:34 PM.