Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Mystery hunk of alloy

Boolit Bub

Mystery hunk of alloy

I went to a estate sale and bought the corner of basement that was set up for casting and reloading. I got a 15 gal metal trashcan half full of linotype and this big hunk was in there also. It is 8.5 inch sq on top and 6.5 sq inch on bottom and 3.5 inch thick and weighs 45 lbs. On the bottom about 1/2 inch wide and 3 inch tall are the letters N R C with 2 dots below. I dont think its lead because its seems to light and it looks grainy and brittle from a place on the side where it has been dropped and it has a cloth texture look and feel all over where it was cast. I was wonderering if anybody could identify from the description what it is. Thanks divedigger

Not sure what the N stands for but the R.C could be Recycle Center. Do you you have any RC businesses close by that area that would start with N? Its just a guess....of course.

Check with a local scrapper...see if they have an XRF tool to tell you what it's composition is.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned

There's a fella on here who will test a sample of a metal for you in exchange for a pound of lead alloy. I sent him in three samples of some lead free air gun pellets we use and was very happy with his results. It only takes a very small sliver of whatever you want tested for him to tell you. Can't remember his screen name, but I'll dig it up.

Could be you got a 45 lb bar of tin, that would certainly be worth a little to find out.

Boolit Master
    If your numbers are close to accurate, you have about 197 CI of metal that weighs about 45 pounds. If it were lead it would weigh about 77 pounds. Antimony is about 60% as heavy as lead. Based upon that, a comparable ingot of antimony would weigh about 47 pounds. Tin would be about that as well. Antimony has a larger crystal formation when fractured. It is very shinny where it has fractured.
    Dusty

Boolit Bub
    Dusty I went and looked the ingot over again and the fracture point is just what you described, shiney and fractured . I looked real close as I saw what looked like tool or jaw imprints all over the sides and it looked liked damacus steel as you could see different lines and color of metal but the top that has the initials imprinted looks as though it were poured . Could this ingot have been swaged from smaller stock and formed? I also found some golfball size pcs thats fractured the same way. I can find a scrap yard and see if they would check for id . Thanks divedigger

Boolit Master
    The ingots that I have seen will usually have the mold marks on the bottom of the ingot and of course the top is open to elements when pouring. This is a brittle metal and not likely to be swaged or extruded as solder or tin might be. I do not recall seeing anything that looks like a damascus steel surface, but over time, anything might impart a mark on the ingot while in storage. To use it, you need to put the ingot in a canvas bag and break up the ingot into smaller pieces.

Antimony melts at 1167 F but does dissolve in lead or tin at lower temps. It does take time and some will just let it sit in the melt and pour the alloy over the lump until it finally dissolves. Others use screen to keep the piece below the surface of the melt and just let it dissolve in that manner. It is often sold as chunks, gravel and dust or fines. The dust or fines are a little harder to work with due to the extensive surface area, and Bill Ferguson had an alloyers flux that worked well, but he closed his business several years ago.

The material you have is what a hard core bullet caster would have on hand to make whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted to make it. More common these days are the casters that buy their antimony already alloyed with lead from Rotometals. Much easier, but also more costly, but some prefer the easy way. Dusty

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Dusty, everything you described is spot on as to what I have found. I dont think its somthing that I will use so I need to get it checked , any idea who would interested? Thanks

Boolit Master
    Check your PM's.

Boolit Bub

NRC is an abbreviation for Nuclear Regulatory Commission???????? Maybe some sort of radiation shielding????????

Boolit Master
    I would think lead makes a better shielding than does antimony, if that is actually what it is. BNE, a list member can be contacted via PM and suggest packing conditions and provide a mailing address for a sample to be tested. Include a pound ingot of lead as a token payment for his service. You will get the read out by PM. He is careful, and usually prompt in correspondence but this is an after work project. Time is not critical and you can decide what you want to do at your convenience. Dusty

Boolit Bub
    Dusty I found out where and what PM is but dont know how to reply, i read and understand your message loud and clear. The alloying process is above my head . I want to say Thankyou for the precautions you mentioned, you opened my eyes! I will get help with the pm process and get back in touch with you, again Thanks divedigger