MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4" Combat Magnum - Classic Revolver Reviews, Part 1 & Part 2

Boolit Buddy

4" Combat Magnum - Classic Revolver Reviews, Part 1 & Part 2

Hi all! I finally managed to record a video review of the classic 4" Combat Magnum as devised by the late Bill Jordan. This is part-1 of a 2 parter. Take a look and be sure to let me know what you think!

HRF

Last edited by Hrfunk; 01-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Boolit Master

I did enjoy the Pt. 1 video although you did not tell me anything I did not already know as I have been buying and shooting K frame Smiths since the very early 60's. I also have Bill's book "No Second Place Winner". I would recommend anyone who likes revolvers to get themselves a copy. I am looking forward to the part 2, the range session. james

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I did enjoy the Pt. 1 video although you did not tell me anything I did not already know as I have been buying and shooting K frame Smiths since the very early 60's. I also have Bill's book "No Second Place Winner". I would recommend anyone who likes revolvers to get themselves a copy. I am looking forward to the part 2, the range session. james
    Thanks James! I have that book too and I agree anyone who is into defensive shooting should have a copy for the historical value if nothing else. I also really like the chapter where he relates some of his personal stories and experiences as a law enforcement officer.

Folks our age who have been into shooting and firearms for a while are probably not going to learn a lot from my video. I tend to make these for the youngsters who may never have heard of Bill Jordan or the Combat Magnum. Thanks for watching and thanks for the comment!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    ... I tend to make these for the youngsters who may never have heard of Bill Jordan or the Combat Magnum...
    The problem is that most such folks think, "Who would want an old fashioned revolver? Why, it's not even made of plastic--it might rust!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    The problem is that most such folks think, "Who would want an old fashioned revolver? Why, it's not even made of plastic--it might rust!"

THAT is why I do the live-fire portion of the videos on the range. I'm no Jerry Miculek, but it might surprise some of the plastic-pistol generation to see what the old wheelguns are capable of!

Howard

Boolit Master

Hr, You did a great service for the future generation. I do not have an ax to grind about the modern days police weapons. They will do the job. But I shoot mostly double action and there is just something about the revolvers that no semi-auto can replace for me. The old Smiths were very smooth and I still prefer them. I only have one semi-auto right now and it is a Ruger .22lr. I would encourage any of the younger generation to own at least one of the older Smith or even Colt revolvers. The Rugers are very good also and are built like tanks. They just might decide that they have been missing something. Take care, james

Boolit Man
    I just lucked into a model 19 2 1/2" rb. I have been shooting it getting ready to qualify with and carry on duty and off. When I started I was issued a model 28 Smith. Shooting the 19 brings a smile to my face. Old school cool.

Boolit Master

wgg, good luck on your quals.. You could definitely carry worse. Round butt or square on that little jewel? I have and carry often a 3" .38 Special K frame. james

Boolit Grand Master

Good, general video of a classic revolver. I liked it and not just because I have one upstairs next to my bed.
    Yada, Yada...Plastic pistols..capacity...blah blah. I have several and I like them but something about a classic revolver in my hand just makes me feel better. Just feels "right" as I'm sure most on this forum know what I'm getting at. As wgg said, I just smile when I shoot one.

Well done and thanks for the info on the SW Mag. I never knew they put one out !
    Last edited by jonp; 01-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

HR, I have watched your videos and thoroughly enjoy them. Keep up the good work! (Just subscribed!)

I bought my S&W model 19 with 4" barrel many years ago. In a little gun and pawn shop where a police officer had traded the Model 19 on the latest hi-cap 9mm as was the trend years back. The revolver looked like new, only wear was on the right wood grip panel. (From bumping into things while in a holster.)

Store owner sold it to me for $200. I was grinning from ear to ear. Still have it, will never sell it.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

That was $200.00 well spent. If you run into another one anywhere near that price, give me a yell down here in the East Tennessee mountains. james

Boolit Man
    TNSailorman, mine is a round but, first one I have ever had. I will schedule a range trip next week, looking for a way to carry speed loaders on a 1 3/4" belt.

Boolit Master

Funny thing about that, a round butt feels better in my hand but I shoot just a tad better with a square butt--go figure. I carried my 2 speed loaders in belt pouches just in front of the holster so that when my right hand came down from the revolver to the holster ( which is a natural motion for me), and as the back of the hand touched the front of the holster, the loader were right there and I just rolled the hand to the left and a loader was right there is my hand. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is and it is a natural motion, especially after a little practice. After a few times, it becomes so natural that you don't even have to take your eyes off a target. I will be glad to share what I know with you thru an email if you are interested. I developed this actually in competition and used it in my carry mode from then on.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wgg View Post
    I just lucked into a model 19 2 1/2" rb. I have been shooting it getting ready to qualify with and carry on duty and off. When I started I was issued a model 28 Smith. Shooting the 19 brings a smile to my face. Old school cool.
    Old-school cool for sure. I have one too and I love it. Good luck!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Good, general video of a classic revolver. I liked it and not just because I have one upstairs next to my bed.
    Yada, Yada...Plastic pistols..capacity...blah blah. I have several and I like them but something about a classic revolver in my hand just makes me feel better. Just feels "right" as I'm sure most on this forum know what I'm getting at. As wgg said, I just smile when I shoot one.

Well done and thanks for the info on the SW Mag. I never knew they put one out !
    You're welcome! Thanks for watching!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    HR, I have watched your videos and thoroughly enjoy them. Keep up the good work! (Just subscribed!)

I bought my S&W model 19 with 4" barrel many years ago. In a little gun and pawn shop where a police officer had traded the Model 19 on the latest hi-cap 9mm as was the trend years back. The revolver looked like new, only wear was on the right wood grip panel. (From bumping into things while in a holster.)

Store owner sold it to me for $200. I was grinning from ear to ear. Still have it, will never sell it.

Thanks for the sub! Enjoy that fine revolver.

Howard

I'd drive 200 miles to pay 200 dollars for one like that any day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hmm, think I'll give my 10-5 some exercise tomorrow!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    OK Fellas! The sun is rising in the East. So long as the weather cooperates today, I'll be off to the range to record part-2!

Howard

Banned
    Thanks for sharing.

I have a some bottom feeders made of steel, aluminum and even plastic but the DA revolver chambered in 38/357 holds a special place in my heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast