MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 8mm Lebel

Boolit Master
    That s true...the French only took enough to cover the advance they had made,as Remington wernt in a position to return the money......the delaware factory was new,and it seems most of the workers there had issues,and had been fired from other plants.Anyhoo,there was continued industrial trouble there,hardly surprising when the European war pushed up food prices massively...............However ,as to the heat treating...Ive seen no evidence of this in the few Ive examined,that have been fired with the MG ammo.......It may have been an excuse.from what Ive heard ,the guns were out of spec................now when Remington signed up for M17 production,the first thing they did was ask for a relaxation in tolerances by .002"...(004 total)....In WW2 ,Remington also asked for a relaxation in tolerances on the Springfield contract by the same........This is the reason Springfield Arsenal were opposed to Rem and Win making Springfields in WW1

Boolit Master
    These rifles should probably not be fired if encountered

One of the few advantages of owning firearms in the UK, is that they all have to be proofed before they can be sold and that includes imports from non CIP affiliated countries.

My unissued/unfired Mod1907-15 Remington was imported and proofed at the Birmingham proof house in 2008.

The proof includes amongst other things an initial headspace check, 2 proof rounds of at least 125% of service load and then a second headspace check.

I don't think that the build quality Remington Berthiers was poor, but rather they were `out of spec` due to faulty interpretation of the French metric drawings being converted to imperial measurement by Remington.

Resulting in incorrect chamber and bore dimensions, which could have led to all sorts of issues.

I believe like mine they were reworked then many of these rifles were sold off and sporterised after the war and did sterling service as hunting rifles.

I certainly have no qualms about shooting mine, it having passed UK proof.

ukrifleman
    Last edited by ukrifleman; 01-18-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12