StainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel break in with jacketed or cast?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Static line View Post
    I know that but why add to it? At 71 years old,I have learned a few things.It will be a lot easier to remove a little bit of copper fouling then a lot.Does that make better sense now?
    That's why I like to do the break in by removing the copper and smoothing the throat.

And, copper will not ruin the barrel. An accumulation will just ruin accuracy until it is removed.

You do NOT want copper in a barrel that you shoot cast. It just means you have lead and copper to remove when accuracy goes bad.

Removing copper is not that big a deal. Just get a good solvent and apply as directed. Some take longer than others but they all work eventually. Even a badly fouled barrel can be cleaned in a couple of hours with minimal work.
    Last edited by charlie b; 01-14-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    People are in such a hurry that they never learn one of the secrets to removing copper. That is time. Even the very old mild Hoppe's solvent will remove copper if you give it time. Once treated let your barrel sit for 2 or 3 days then clean again. Repeat until clean even if it takes a month. I can remove copper with just Hoppes and patches. It just takes patience.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    That's why I like KG12. Treating a barrel takes an hour, even on horrible fouling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12