Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 300 bo did i find treasures or junk

Banned

300 bo did i find treasures or junk

Went though all my molds in the barely ever use drawer and found 3 Im curious about. First is a Lachmiller 311-130 round nose plain base that casts 132 grain. Second is a Seaco 254 that casts at 113 grains and is a bevel based (just a slight bevel) round nose that's probably made for the 30 carbine. The third is one im not real conserned about because its a bit heavier then I want to play with. Its a lyman mold marked 311041ev that casts at 176 grain and is a gas check design and is an lfn or rf nose (more like an lfn). All weights are out of an alloy that weights out at about the same as straight linotype. Do I have treasures or should they go back in the drawer?

Boolit Master
    Might see if you can beg some of the plain based aluminum gas checks and apply them and give the bullets a chance to prove themselves. Minimum investment and could be a lot of fun.

Banned

311041 is a standard for 30 cal, 30-30, 308, 30-06 etc.... good find.

Probably can't go over 309 for the BO, but if they will size down, should work good.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    because of the round noses, may need to fiddle with seating depth to make sure you are not jamming into the throat
    Loren

Banned

I sized all of those down to 309 in my star. With that real hard alloy it was a chore. But all sized down a bit easier then the lee 155 2r did out of that alloy. I found an old lee 309 sizer but it was rusted up a bit and I coudnt find the punch for it so I ordered a new one. Im sure sizing any of them on my rock chucker with lee dies would be a breeze. I sized them all and then pc'd them but I think ill wait for the lee die to do final sizing. I know on the star I wouldn't have wanted to pc first then size. It would have probably ripped it off its mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Probably can't go over 309 for the BO, but if they will size down, should work good.

Boolit Buddy
    No Pictures ... ???
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Banned

going to cast another one today. I have a noe 115 lfngc hp mold that is for the 32mag ect. Im going to cast them a bit softer out of 5050 ww/pure and pc them and size them down to 309. Don't know if they will run or not in an ar but if they do id bet they would make about an ideal whitetail bullet. That bullet even has me thinking about picking up a ruger American ranch.

Banned

Your talking to the wrong guy. No smart phone and Ive never even taken a picture with my flip phone!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    No Pictures ... ???

Boolit Master

Properly sized for your barrel, I don't see why any of them wouldn't work well. Just depends on what you want to do with them and what you expect out of them. That's what makes this game interesting. You get to play around and experiment.

Boolit Man
    I shoot a lot of 31141 in my Blackout, 4 dee
    r last year. 2 with aac/nef,16 inch and 2 with a 7.5 inch AR pistol.