Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22lr. To 22 wrm

Boolit Bub

22lr. To 22 wrm

On a winchester 1885. Can a 22LR be reamed to 22 WRM.
    22LR Barrel .223
    22WRM. .224

Would the barrel diameter cause any pressure
    Problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    lurking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Guns that shoot both calibers such as Ruger single six use .224 bores.
    22lr and 22wmr have the same pressure interestingly enough.
    It was common to do this conversion years ago.
    1885’s are darn nice guns. If it is original I would leave it alone.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Vendor Sponsor

I don't have any real answers to your question so here is what I know. Ruger and Colt made revolver convertibles that with different cylinders, could shoot either. So I think the question of pressure is not a problem. Whether they used a 0.224" barrel to make sure it was in all cases safe I do not know. I bet Mr Harris can tell you.

The level of accuracy might not be as good as the correct size barrel, who knows? Also, a reamer with a changeable pilot would be my choice. A fixed pilot may or may not fit the 0.223" barrel.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Ha! Clearly - labradigger1 and I were typing and posting at the same time. Great minds think alike.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    Congratulations on owning an 1885 Winchester. I would suggest that modifying your existing rifle would cause it to lose more value than a new modest single shot rifle in one of those calibers would cost. If it is an original 1885...manufactured a hundred or more years ago, it would be a great shame to modify it... In my opinion.

Boolit Bub
    I don’t own it. I was trying to haggle on it at a sporting goods shop and the owner is probably going to keep it and ream to Mag.
    It’s a later model made I think 2005. They only made 2500. Half octagon half round barrel.
    I was thinking if I convinced him the barrel dia would not work he might go ahead and sell it to me. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Colt Scouts with dual cylinders had issues with their .22LR barrels. They did indeed have pressure issues and Colt changed in 1966 to use the larger .22 Magnum bore. I just sold a 1966 Colt Frontier Scout with both cylinders, and like new condition. Inside the box was a note from Colt saying "this gun is equipped with the larger bore to shoot both .22LR and .22 Magnum safely. Do not shoot earlier guns with the smaller bores. Send them back to Colt to be refitted to the correct bore size."
    So Colt must have had a recall on these guns from what the note said in the one I had.

And the twist rate is always an issue with guns shooting both bullets. They rarely shoot both accurately, and usually have the correct twist for the .22LR, which gave the .22 Magnum a reputation for poor accuracy.

Boolit Mold
    I currently own an 1885 that had an eroded barrel, was sleeved to 22lr (223?), then reamed to 22 magnum. It shoots quite well and has had thousands of 22 mag rounds through it, no problem. I also have a friend who had a Martini 12/15 reamed to 22 magnum (tried to talk him out of it, nice original rifle), it shoots very well and really makes a nice 22 mag. I've probably seen/shot a dozen 22lr rifles reamed to 22 magnum, I've never seen a problem.

Boolit Master

Results vary, I'm sure, but I recall a thread here where a member pulled .22LR and reassembled them with .22WRM projectiles he pulled, and it seemed fine until he realized he'd shot the rifling out of it.
    Show the guy that thread and the price of a new barrel, he might change his mind.
    Bulldogger

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    Results vary, I'm sure, but I recall a thread here where a member pulled .22LR and reassembled them with .22WRM projectiles he pulled, and it seemed fine until he realized he'd shot the rifling out of it.
    Show the guy that thread and the price of a new barrel, he might change his mind.
    Bulldogger
    Also 22WMR are jacketed bullets...that will cause more wear also. Speaking of which. Many of those old 22 rim fires were permanently leaded up and that helped keep them from wearing out.

Boolit Master
    Just because there is a specification does not mean the barrel will be exactly .223. I would bet it will be a little ovesize like most other factory barrels. For example every one knows a .375 Win is designed for .375 bullets. My .375 Marlin checks at .3778....
    EDG

Boolit Master

I have a Colt New Frontier 22 lr/22 WMR that I bought new in 1975 and have shot regularly ever since, it is my favorite revolver by a wide margin. This gun has the .224 bore and shoots both 22 lr and 22 mag quite well but is noticeably more accurate with 22 lr which is kind of curious given the over-size bore for that round.

Now about the OP's question, the one (only) 22 lr to 22 mag conversion I am personally familiar with is/was an older Remington 22 bolt action single shot that a co-worker re-chambered some years back, accuracy was poor and it did indeed show signs of excessive pressure. So much so that the rifle was retired and now considered unsafe to shoot, he probably still has this rifle since it belonged to his grandfather but the last I talked with him about it a few years back he very much regretted the conversion.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Tom,

I did. H&R some years abck. It shot very well!

As mentioned its gonna depend on the barrel Dia Miroku used.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    there is a thousands diff in the bore and when was last time you slug a bore it came out perfect ? thou isn't %$&#, in 22 rimfire for pressure if your firearm shows problems your gun has issues ! Ammo diff's will give you more issues in accuracy and pressures than if your bore is .223 or .224 . HECK THAT NEW 10-22 mite have a .222 or .225 bore. you assume that bore is perfect. Bullet jump to rifling is going to effect things more.

Boolit Master

Most of the early 22 Hornets that Winchester made used a .223 groove diameter. The only problem would be that the higher pressure could rupture the brass of a rim fire if it is not properly supported. Most rimfire high velocity ammo is loaded to 24,000 psi. This includes the two 17s, 22LR and 22 Mag. I have seen some old gun designed for black powder cartridges that would rupture the brass with modern ammo. On a High Wall the extractor needs to have a close fit or it can cause a rupture at the rim.

Boolit Master

Well, Don't forget the Winchester model 43's . . .
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    I think you guys might consider some of my experimenting.
    I have a Mossberg 640K in .22WMR that is in excellent condition but factory ammo of 4 or 5 types has never impressed me. My best 5 shot groups run about 2" at 100 meters. The lousy 50 grain lead bullet in the Federal heavy bullet load do well to shoot 3.5" groups.
    The SAAMI drawing allows the chamber diameter to be a good bit larger in diameter than a loaded round and the lead on my rifle results in about a .150 jump.
    I pulled the bullets of factory WW FMJ ammo and replaced those bullets with both 40 grain and 45 grain Sierra .224 Hornet bullets using the same factory powder charges. I seated the new bullets long so they had about .020 or so jump. The 40 grain bullets expanded the cases exactly like the factory bullets. The 45 grain bullet expanded the case a few thousandths more but it never caused a problem and accuracy was better with both Sierra bullets. Visual examination of cases fired with either bullet looked the same. Only my micrometer could tell the difference in the expansion. Extraction was normal and fired cases would go back into the chamber in any orientation.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    The only 22 Hornets Winchester ever made "back in the day" were M54s and M70s. The Low Wall in 22 WCF ( a black powder cartridge) with the same dimensions as a Hornet was long gone. Althogh the "4 Ws" at SA used the 22WCF in their SA1922 conversions (w/.223 bbls)

The only Hornets that are for sure .223 are converted rimfires.

I cannot find any documentation on factory made USA rifles having .223 bore. My 1935 RF Sedgley (he used WRA bbls) 22 Hornet is .224 as does my M19 Savage bolt action.
    My Winchester chart shows the 22 Hornet with a .217 bore and .222 groove, 6 lands at .0681 width with 1 in 16 twist. I always assumed that they were using 22 LR barrels but the same list shows the 22L and LR with a bore of .219 and groove at .223, 6 lands at .080" wide, 16 twist RH. The 22 short with .217 bore and .223 groove, 6 lands at .080 wide 20" twist RH.
    All the model 54 and model 70 barrels I have made I for the 22 Hornet I have use the 223 groove 16 twist.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    "Winchester chart" ? Could you share it with us ? Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan 2019-1-21 12.45.35.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	234451

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast