Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22lr. To 22 wrm

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    Appears to be a computer spread sheet, too small to read. Is it a Winchester factory document ? Of not, what were the data sources.
    Thanks.
    Click on it and it gets bigger. From the company that I made barrels for, probably from a Winchester collectors book.

Boolit Buddy
    It is my understanding that the Stevens Walnutl Hill's that were made in .22 Hornet for a short period of time back in the 1930's were .223 bore. Thats all i shoot in mine.

Early .22 Hornets had .223" barrels. The "first one" was a converted m22 Springfield .
    Golly gosh, that's why every bullet maker offered .223" HORNET bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Sure will be jump if you use a SAAMI reamer. Check the drawings for the SAAMI chamber vs the SAAMI loaded ammo dimensions.

As the WMR is longer than a 22 LR, there will be no bullet jump issue.
    EDG

Boolit Master

After talking to other "smiths" in the know, it appears that Winchester did use the .222 pre war and changed post war. The Model 70 had a few changes at the same time. The frame rear bridge did away with the rolled finish and went to a smooth top with two holes for scope base. Also the bolt handle was changed.

Boolit Master
    I have a M70 Hornet barrel dated 1935 that I could slug. That might be an eye opener.
    EDG

Toward the OP, my friend had a Remington 510 rechambered to .22 magnum in 1975. He has never had a problem with it. Drilled and tapped for a scope; it's one of the most accurate. 22 WRF I've fired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Tom View Post
    On a winchester 1885. Can a 22LR be reamed to 22 WRM.
    22LR Barrel .223
    22WRM. .224

Would the barrel diameter cause any pressure
    Problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was led to belive 22lr had a groove diameter of .221"A gunsmith I have known for many years has done a large number of 22lr to 22wmr and has never had any problems or complaints .

Boolit Master
    I have a Pair of Winchester original 1890's that have a 'toggle' in them and are marked .22WRF but shoot both .22WRF and .22WMR interchangeably; one has a 5 digit serial the other has a 6 digit serial.

Chev. william

Boolit Master

Back in the mid 1970's,
    I asked Smith & Wesson if they would fit an extra .22WMR Cylinder to my Model 17 .22LR.
    They would not. But they would fit an extra .22LR Cylinder to a model 48 .22WMR.
    Said the bbl on the model 17 was too small for .22WMR.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    I have a Pair of Winchester original 1890's that have a 'toggle' in them and are marked .22WRF but shoot both .22WRF and .22WMR interchangeably; one has a 5 digit serial the other has a 6 digit serial.

Chev. william
    The original 22 WRF has a groove diameter of .226" and the 22 mag is .224". The toggle on the carrier came with the 06 ( round barreled 1890) for short, long and long rifle. I have seen a few 1890s converted to 22 mag but this make a very weak carrier after machining it for the longer cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Dangerous and criminal as jkted bullets will wreck the soft steel bore. Correct WRF is available.

https://www.shop.ammo-one1.com/produ...&categoryId=86
    How So "Criminal"???

Both 1890 were Bought 'well used' for about $25.00 each.
    The six digit one was 'refinished' long ago and the stamping's are 'smeared' from the Polishing before re-blueing.
    The five digit one is still in its deteriorated original finish, 'plum' turning grey.
    Both had pitted Bores but still had rifling in them, and still do.
    Yes, the .22WMR are 'sticky' n extraction due to erosion of the Chambers from firing .22WRF.
    But Both Still shoot both cartridges and still hit what i aim at well.

Now A Pair of 1873 Winchesters have more Problems with current Factory Loaded 44-40 Cartridges, far more frustrating to shoot than my 1890's.

Chev. William

Never seen any "jacketed" .22 magnums? I've seen plated bullets in .22 Magnum, but no jacketed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    How So "Criminal"???

Now A Pair of 1873 Winchesters have more Problems with current Factory Loaded 44-40 Cartridges, far more frustrating to shoot than my 1890's.

Chev. William
    I have lined more than a few 73s to get them to shoot again. Have one of my own that was found under a house that was tore down in town. Good coat of rust but the action still works.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Never seen any "jacketed" .22 magnums? I've seen plated bullets in .22 Magnum, but no jacketed.
    ??????? Am I missing something here, you're just kidding right?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...l-metal-jacket
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Sometime after WW1 the Government made a bunch of barrels to convert Springfields to .22 RF, allegedly for gallery practice. Groove diameter .223. It appears that these went on the market, and were bought by various gunsmiths for building Hornet and later on Lovell 22-3000 rifles. These also fitted Krags easily enough that most of the Krag-based .22 wildcats I have or have seen used them. I've always believed that this was the genesis of the .223 bullet diameter of the early Hornets.

Curiously, I have a Lovell 2R built by Sedgley, and it has a .223 barrel also, but it's not one of the Armory barrels. The action is .........(wait for it).........a cast frame Ballard.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    I have never slugged a 22lr barrel but I measure the ammo quite often. Since I make it. Commercially available 22lr ammo is mostly at least .224" Much of it is .2245" and some folks prefer to bump it up with a little accusizer to .225"
    My two cents is that PERHAPS 22WMR barrels are a bit larger in bore. Maybe .001" or less. But the reason would be the COPPER JACKETED AMMUNITION. 22lr ammo is almost dead soft lead. Some is about 9 bhn. Easy to squeeze that into a smaller bore. In my opinion Copper jackets would likely wear the barrel faster and perhaps raise the pressure.
    Now you guys are gonna make me go and slug my 22 barrels...See what you did!

Boolit Master
    You need to look again and maybe pull some of the bullets you think are only plated.
    The Winchester silver box FMJ and HP bullets are both jacketed. I have 6 or 7 different boxes of .22 WMR ammo and only one has plated bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I have 6 or 7 different boxes of .22 WMR ammo and only one has plated bullets.

Yes plated 22 WMR are available but jacketed are by FAR the most common, as long as I have been shooting the mags (since the middle 60's) I have never shot anything but jacketed. I have stashed away many boxes of both CCI and Winchester plus a few Federals in hollow point, flat nose soft point and full jacket, all of them are jacketed in one style or other.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    .22WRF used to be Lead, then Plated Lead, but the Last batcjh of it I bought had Jacketed Bullets; sort of ruins the round for Pot Meat Hunting in my opinion.
    Chev. William

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast