MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Working on a resettable measure tube for my Belding and Mull measures

Boolit Grand Master

Working on a resettable measure tube for my Belding and Mull measures

Started on a couple micrometer adjustable measure tubes for my belding and mull measures. Got the inner tube done and am cutting graduations for each revolution of the thimble on them ( using 32 tpi so every .0415) thimble will have 25 graduations around it so a movement of .0016 per graduation Thimble will mount on a tapered end of the rod with a round head screw to lock it allowing it to be set to zero easily. Should be nice to write a setting down and repeat it at will. Making 2 of them now and figuring out as I go. Barrel will count revolutions and thimble the thousandths. to make it true micrometer reading Id have to make a special tap at 40 tpi.

Boolit Master
    I would like to see pictures of this when you finish. I've thought of using a depth micrometer to set the standard tubes, but my mic is always in another shop away from my reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a b&m measure but no tubes. I have read some descriptions, but have yet to be able to visualize how they are made. I would appreciate any description, measurements, pictures, etc. you can provide while you work these up.

Boolit Grand Master

The standard style tubes are easy to make and work well but are harder to set to the .1 grns when repeating for a load.

Here how I make them for my use unless the above work out. I recommend making a few so they can be labeled and dedicated to a given load otherwise.

Bill of materials:
    1/2" X .030 wall brass tubing ( ID is .440)
    .437 OD X .030 wall. ( id is roughly .375)
    3/8" 24 threaded rod
    3/8 24 nuts Jam nuts are fine here
    1/2" stop collars
    JB weld epoxy or solder and flux

Cut list:
    1/2" tubing
    1 piece 4" long
    7/16 od tubing
    1 piece 3/4" -1" long
    1 piece 1/2" long
    3/8" threaded rod
    1 piece 4 3/4" - 5" long

Tools:
    Hack Saw, cuts threaded rod use a 32 tpi blade
    Pipe cutter, square cuts on tubing run slow and light pressure to avoid crushing tubing.
    Files, fine flat file to deburr. Round or half round jewelers file
    Drill and tap to match stop collar
    7/16 ball.
    Various grits sandpaper.

1 Cut out tubing pieces and deburr.
    2 fit together you want a nice sliding fit on them With no sharp edges
    3 Cut 3/8 threaded rod
    4 chamfer and square ends and file flat a on it the length of rod to just below threads. You want a flat for the set screw to ride on and not deform threads
    5 on one end of 1/2" tube insert the 7/16 X 1/2" tube flush with end and stop collar on outside if this end.. solder or glue in place.
    6 On one end of the 3/8 treaded rod glue or solder the 1" long 7/16 tube leave tubing proud. Clean up these joints and part remove any excess glue or solder
    7 with the tap drill, drill thru tubing using stop collar set screw hole as guide and tap thru with tap to have complete threads thru.
    8. If you want a concave end in the plunger. use the 7/16 ball and epoxy to form it up.
    9 assemble into measuring tube. Slide threaded rod thru with tube end up and flat aligned with set screw, add a jam nut when thru base.

Materials can be purchased at most hardware stores hobby shops or online metals. Tube length can be as short as 3" depending on charge to be thrown. With 24 tpi its .041" travel per revolution or .0068 per flat on the jam nut. A small 1/4 20 thumb screw makes locking the tube easier.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! Will get to work. Appreciate the help and effort at providing the directions!

Boolit Grand Master

Barrels are done threaded rods cavities are done. Made one flat one concave. thimbles are turned and fitted up need graduations engraved on them inked in and polished up. Getting close now. Movement is smooth and consistent. Still need to drill and tap a hole in the thimble for a nylon lock screw. Thinking on one click adjustable but the slide has around 3" of travel in the in the barrel. would be long grooves to cut the way I do.

They look to be very useable as I get them closer to finished. I used 3/4" Od X .500 Id tubing for thimble gives a nice comfortable grip and they stand up on the end on their own.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Started on a couple micrometer adjustable measure tubes for my belding and mull measures. Got the inner tube done and am cutting graduations for each revolution of the thimble on them ( using 32 tpi so every .0415) thimble will have 25 graduations around it so a movement of .0016 per graduation Thimble will mount on a tapered end of the rod with a round head screw to lock it allowing it to be set to zero easily. Should be nice to write a setting down and repeat it at will. Making 2 of them now and figuring out as I go. Barrel will count revolutions and thimble the thousandths. to make it true micrometer reading Id have to make a special tap at 40 tpi.
    40 Tpi taps are available ,in various sizes , Model Engineers thread ,also it has a range of 32TPI threads ,some of the larger sizes like 1/2 " have 32 tpi and 40tpi. I got my set from an Aussie Ebay seller , LPR toolmakers . Im sure Victory machinery in the US can supply on your side of the pond .Ive bought special and odd sized taps and dies from them as well on occasion. Great service as well as a great range of tooling .

Boolit Grand Master

Finished up the measure tube today. gave it 10 clicks per revolution ( .0041 thousandth per click with the 38 24 thread) Works very nice and clicks are solid. Looks good and is a good "feel" in the hand. Concave end on the rod ( 7/32 radius). Rod locks to barrel with a screw and matching tapers.

Finished tube is .041" per full revolution .0041" per click. Clicks are definite and solid. Clicks repeat well as long as play is taken out of thread when reversing direction. Maybe tomorrow Ill set up with some powder and test it measuring charges. I think the .0041 per click will be more than fine enough with most powders.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a search for the tubing and Mcmaster-Carr has Brass Tubing, 1/2" OD, 0.032" Wall Thickness and 7/16" OD, 0.032" Wall Thickness. Where did you get the tubing you are using?
    Thanks
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master

On line metals sells it by 1 foot increments.

The 1/2" X .032 will be 7/16 Id and the 7/16 Od x .032 will be 3/8 Id. These would work together with a piece of 3/8" threaded rod. You may have to do a little polishing on the 7/16 to get the proper sliding fit. Same with the 1/2" to fit into the measures hole they seem to run on the tight side. Both of mine measure .501 still