RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: BP data

BP data

I’ve been reading a bit about BPCR and the rules and have thought man it’d be nice to load the old cartridges with black and not smokeless just to be able to maybe do a match if I can find one. Only problem is I’ve not noticed any load data for any of my bpc’s that use any of the dozen or so kinds of black powder. Is there any published data to go with these cartridges and some cast boolits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Get a copy of the SPG Handbook by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino.

Boolit Grand Master

Look at the manufacturers websites Goex and Olde Ensfode has loading data posted. Not sure about Swiss. Post up the calibers you want to load and Ill bet some loads show up here also.
    Another good book on loading these rounds is Randolph S. Wrights Loading and Shooting the Paper Patched Bullet A beginners guide. A lot of good information on a well laid out format.

A good starting point is to fill case with BP to base of bullet no air space no real compression, and wok up from there, I use 2 grain increments. This adds powder and compression. To the accuracy velocity desired

Hmm let me see what I can think of off hand 30-30win 45 colt 44-40wcf 45-70gov using lyman 457191 and 38 colt. Are the 5 I know I have. Most are self explanatory 30gr 40,70 but not sure on which powders or how they act in comparison I read in a post that different powders liked different compression but not sure what they meant. I’ll try and find that book and give it a good read thanks y’all

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Black powder will get mire efficient with the powder compressed . Its like it sounds powder is packed down to allow bullet to seat to depth usually with a die or tool made for this.

I think Shiloh Sharps has both books available in their library.

With modern cases ( solid head and slightly thicker) and modern powders you may be hard pressed to get those charges into the cases.

It is satisfying to shoot these firearms with original loads the smoke and scents are a big show. Use some bacon grease in your lube and people at the range will be running to Mc Donald's shortly.

Boolit Buddy
    Just FYI, 30-30 was never a black powder cartridge. It just retained the nomenclature. A 357 mag case holds about 28 grains volume of black powder btw.

Boolit Master
    Taylor S - where is home for you? I'd like to see more folks shooting matches and I'm wondering if we could help you find a match nearby and maybe some local BPCR shooters for you. They will be more help with the load issue than any book you can buy.

Canadian, TX I haven’t found anything beside a couple annual skeet shoots close.

Using Tapatalk

Banned

it's far less complex to create a black powder cartridge than a smokeless cartridge. the only rule is to fill the case up with real bp and leave no air space. in its most basic, simplest, raw form - find the cartridge OAL for the lubed bullet you've chosen by creating a dummy round, fill the primed case to that OAL level or a tad higher with real black powder (1f or 1-1/2f or 2f), push in a simple veggie or milk carton wad, seat the lubed bullet down on the wad which then compresses the powder a tad. breaking down each of the steps and their components is also easy to do and understand, and there are Lots of ways and means to do it all. this becomes the initial bp cartridge creation that will work in a real or replica gun of that era. making the cartridge and its accuracy better is the beginning of load development that may require different components and tooling. it's addictive fun stuff for sure!

Scoop the case level full. Weigh the power for reference. Put a veggie wad on the powder, and compress enough to get the boolt in. Set your powder measure to throw that weight of powder, and you are ready. You can vary the charge for accuracy. Remember no space between the boolit and powder, or you can ring your barrel/chamber.

https://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-resul...dick_trenk.htm

https://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-resul...nformation.htm
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw