WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: H322 or H335 for 223 and 221 Fireball

Boolit Master

H322 or H335 for 223 and 221 Fireball

Plan to get one of these powders and load up some jacketed bullets for both .223 and .221 Fireball. Want to use one powder and asking for opinions as to whether H 322 or H335 would be a better choice. Any suggestions as to one powder for these two cartridges is also most welcome. Goal is to buy one powder and use for both.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    What weight bullet are you going to use?

Boolit Master

I have used both in the .223 Rem. but I never owned a 221 Fireball. They both were very accurate in my little .223 Mini-Mauser with groups running well under 1 inches at 100 yards. The 335 is now my only powder usage in the .223. I settled on it when my groups with a 55 grain JSP started running consistently 1/2 inch on that little rifle. I tried H322, IMR4895, and even Varget when it first came out but nothing beat the H335 so I bought an 8 lb. jug and never looked back. My little mauser has a 12" twist in it so the heavier bullets don't do as well as the 55 grain bullet. I never shot cast in the little mauser. Your rifle might prefer a different bullet and powder combination but I would suggest you get a pound of each and a selection of bullets based on your twist and work up the most accurate load for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have used both in the .223 Rem. but I never owned a 221 Fireball. They both were very accurate in my little .223 Mini-Mauser with groups running well under 1 inches at 100 yards. The 335 is now my only powder usage in the .223. I settled on it when my groups with a 55 grain JSP started running consistently 1/2 inch on that little rifle. I tried H322, IMR4895, and even Varget when it first came out but nothing beat the H335 so I bought an 8 lb. jug and never looked back. My little mauser has a 12" twist in it so the heavier bullets don't do as well as the 55 grain bullet. I never shot cast in the little mauser. Your rifle might prefer a different bullet and powder combination but I would suggest you get a pound of each and a selection of bullets based on your twist and work up the most accurate load for it.
    Plan is to work up loads for a CZ 527 221 Fireball American and a CZ 527 223 Carbine with a 12" twist. Have a decent selection of jacketed and will run through them seeing what works. Have used both H322 an H335 in the past. Probably acquire some H335. The 221 Fireball has been excellent for my uses. The 527 223 Carbine has not yet been used a lot, but very hopeful about it. Just punching paper at 100 and 200 yards so no need for heavy bullets.

Thanks

Boolit Master

20 gr of H322 with 53gr Hornady match in my 221 rifle is an extremely accurate load.

Have not tries said powders in my .221
    I have had good luck with Lil Gun, IMR4227, and IMR4198 with 40 and 50gr jacketed.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

H322 has always been very accurate in anything I used it in.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.