WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: No Bullseye in local area - now what do i do lol

Boolit Buddy

No Bullseye in local area - now what do i do lol

Well I went to several stores looking for a pound of bullseye to use in some test loads and to load up some .38 cal shot shells. Wouldn't you know it - plenty of everything including Varget - but no BE to be found anywhere.

Besides using it for the shotshells - I want to work up some cat sneeze loads for one of my 30-30's. Have been doing it with Titegroup (down to 3.5 gr TG with 170 gr cast PC boolit) but want to try bullseye also.

Boolit Master

call powder valley and order some, get enough to make the hazmat worthwhile.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Maybe Unique?

If you can get Red Dot- do so. I love Bullseye but Red Dot is very useful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tightgroup has become my go to powder for handguns....

Ultimate reloading from Calhoun Tennessee has 8 pounders on sale. Just go to their website and check it out.

Boolit Master

One more for RedDot
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy

I like to keep Bullseye around as well but I only use it for a few loads. Plenty of other good powders for pistol. All the above mentioned powders are good along with 231, Clays and Power Pistol. You should be able to find Bullseye with minimal searching.
    Jeff

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If available in your area, either TiteGroup, or WST can be substituted on a grain for grain basis for Bullseye in standard pressure (not +P) loads in the .38 Special, .45 ACP and .45 Colt.

Furthermore, if the measure in your Dillon or Star machine is set to throw a safe target load in .38 Special or .45 ACP using Buillseye, you can empty out the measure and refill it with WST and keep going without re-adjusting your measure. The load will be a wee bit lower in pressure and velocity than Bullseye, but not enough difference to see on target at 50 yards. If you are truly anal about matching the same velocity, then increase the charge weight with WST by 5%.

3.3 grains is correct with .38 Special soft-swaged 148-grain HBWC to match factory WC, 750 +/- 30 fps.
    4.5 grains is correct with .45 ACP H&G#68 for 800 +/- 30 fps.
    5.5 grains is max. in .45 ACP with H&R#68 to make IPSC "Major" 870 +/- 30 fps
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you can get Red Dot- do so. I love Bullseye but Red Dot is very useful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    What he said^^^^^^^

Boolit Master
    Look at the burn rate chart from # 5 to #21 and you will see powders that are in the near same/somewhat compatable burn rate & uses, that are close to BE.
    Bullseye is #13 in that chart. Pretty close to the mddle of that range from #5 to #21 ( 8 powders up or down)

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...rate-color.pdf

I use Red Dot primarily, when not using BE. I would use Promo if I had some. I also use Univ. Clays, HiSkor 700X & 800X for the uses you mentioned in the OP. Some of the powders offered by others before me are in that range /list.

Unique is #32... Power Pistol is # 35. A bit slower than the ones near Bullseye. Good powders, but not as fast.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to use!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Buy it when it's available, not when you need it. You already have TG so use it until the next time you go to the store and see Bullseye on the shelves. You're just testing with it anyway and there's no rush. If you really love a powder and can't go on without it, buy an 8 pound jug. You'll get a better price per pound. Since you just want to test it, there's no need to dump a bunch of money on shipping and hazmat for just one pound.

When I first started reloading, I bought a pound of Unique and after going through it, I liked it and bought an 8 pound jug. Later, I wanted to try other powders so one day I bought a pound each of Bullseye, Red Dot and Power Pistol. At the time I liked Bullseye the most so I bought a 4 pound jug. It worked out well but I haven't bought any more since then. Of those 4 first powders I tried, I still buy Unique and Red Dot but now I buy them in 8 pound jugs and they last for several years.

If you have an itch to test new powders, there are other equivalent powders to Bullseye. One of the interesting qualities of Bullseye is that it is touted as one of the fastest burning powders on most charts, but if you look at actual load data, it loads closer to Unique than a powder like Red Dot or Titewad/Clays.

For "cat sneeze" rifle loads, most fast shotgun/pistol powders will work just as well as Bullseye. In the 8-13 grain range, the powder will burn completely well before the bullet exits the muzzle and any powder between Red Dot/Titewad/Clays and Power Pistol/BE-86/800-X will give you nearly the same performance.

Banned
    Some of my favorite handgun loads use Autocomp, HS-6, and red dot.

As the others have said, there are many ways to skin a cat

You could try IMR Target since that is why they said they came out with it when Bullseye was not around and looking at the chart that the link was posted show it is just below Bullseye.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    You could try IMR Target since that is why they said they came out with it when Bullseye was not around and looking at the chart that the link was posted show it is just below Bullseye.
    Good idea, if the OP can find it & wants the same powder in a "copy".
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Try 700X. (Warning: you may never go back to Bullseye, that's what happened to me.)

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"