RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationPBcastcoReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Greay crumbly substance on my melt???

Greay crumbly substance on my melt???

If I let my 20-pound melt pot get too low, I get significant gray crumbly material on the surface. I could photograph it next cast, but I suspect some of you know what I'm talking about.

As long as I keep a full pot, I don't get the gray crumbly. It's only when I get below 1/2 tank that it appears, mainly by scraping and stirring beeswax into the melt.

I wonder if I'm losing good alloy content here, or this just impurity?

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably just oxidation, atimony, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    It's good stuff, flux it back in.

Banned
    I get this when I flux with pine sawdust and wax, this is what I shoot for. I leave it on top of the melt.
    It acts as a barrier to prevent oxidation, it also prevents splashes when returning the sprues and helps keep the top of the melt hot (insulation barrier)

notice the potato masher in the back, I use that to get the flux to the bottom of the melt.
    I finish with the whisk the completes the fluxing.

I save it and toss it in the next time I smelt, it helps speed up the fluxing process, not sure I get more lead out but I feel better doing that just in case there is some lead in there

Boolit Buddy
    My gosh Conditor. That has to be the second dirtiest pot i have ever seen. The other one is mine LOL. I do the same after fluxing my working pot. I don't skim this off the top because of oxidation and you might be skimming your antimony off the top if you do it too much. Great pic of your pot by the way! Did you use a lighting system to get that pic?

Boolit Master
    Does it look something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5C62E738-E73B-4A5B-9AEC-574404762449.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Yes, though your salad looks a tad green. What I'm talking about looks exactly like Conditor's potato stew. I don't get this when the pot is full, no matter how or how often I flux.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 01-19-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Banned
    PB flux with both pine sawdust and wax this will help prompt the "potato stew" earlier

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Yes, though your salad looks a tad green. What I'm talking about likes exactly like Conditor's potato stew. I don't get this when the pot is full, no matter how or how often I flux.
    Mine was some supposedly pure lead bars I bought from a one time supplier. Needless to say haven’t bought anymore from them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I didn’t know you could use broccoli as flux.

Not that I doubt all the experts on this site, but when I flux with sawdust what I get floating on the surface when I'm done with the stirring is typically . . . . . . burned sawdust and nothing else. It's the beeswax alone that brings up the crumbly crud.

Boolit Buddy
    ive had this happen, before i got a PID. I figured out the lead gets substantially hotter the lower it gets. I'm assuming its oxidizing faster the hotter it gets. It quit happening when I started using the PID. but thats just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    ive had this happen, before i got a PID. I figured out the lead gets substantially hotter the lower it gets. I'm assuming its oxidizing faster the hotter it gets. It quit happening when I started using the PID. but thats just a guess.
    That makes perfect sense. If this is what's happening, I could be losing good metals from the alloy and I need to watch the temperature more carefully. Thanks for that tip.