Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New ASBBDT container and how I PC

Banned
    New PC blend, new sifting container and new for me ASBB

sifting container [bought 2 heavy containers at the dollar tree and drilled holes in them. They stack nicely and have space between the bowls for the BB's and powder -- they work slick for .99¢ ea, some drilling and a little sanding to smooth the drilled areas out]

bottom bowl

Last edited by Conditor22; 04-04-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Banned
    loosen stuck boolits

smash test

ASBB's

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    these have the right sized holes 5/16"

https://www.amazon.com/Kernel-Katche...+kernel+sifter
    Do the small imperfections around the lube grooves cause leading in the barrel?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Banned
    I'm not understanding you, I haven't had any problems with leading (as long as you size the boolit appropriately for the barrel and use alloy in the right hardness range).

small imperfections won't cause leading (as long as you size the boolit appropriately for the barrel and use alloy in the right hardness range).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
    Do the small imperfections around the lube grooves cause leading in the barrel?

As stated above proper fit and alloy are the major keys to avoid leading. However with improper coverage around the bases may give slight leading issues.
    You can get away with using some pretty soft alloy when using PC. All depends on what gun your making them for and how hard your pushing them. I have cast coated and shot PB .358 cast from straight ramge scrap out of my .357 Mag. (Fullhouse loadings) YMMV- Caster
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I'm not understanding you, I haven't had any problems with leading (as long as you size the boolit appropriately for the barrel and use alloy in the right hardness range).

small imperfections won't cause leading (as long as you size the boolit appropriately for the barrel and use alloy in the right hardness range).
    I would like to get proficient with the shake n bake method but I still stand my boolits up. I tried the shake n bake method and After separating, there where bare spots on the driving bands where they were touching each other, or touching the rack. I use 50% coww and 50% soft.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
    I would like to get proficient with the shake n bake method but I still stand my boolits up. I tried the shake n bake method and After separating, there where bare spots on the driving bands where they were touching each other, or touching the rack. I use 50% coww and 50% soft.

Unless they are great big spots that are not covered you should have no problem. I suggest pocking out some that have those imperfections load some and shoot them. You will be surprised how little leading there will be.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Banned
    Found nice containers at Safeway/Albertsons

Boolit Master

Great information!!

I have also strayed away from the BB’s. I like LARGE containers ans feel the increased surface area is perpetuating the creation of more static.

I also like to “roll” or “tumble” the container. Of coarse combined with swirling.

I used to always stand my bullets. Now I almost never do. I use Bed Bath and Beyond baskets.

I ruined my first set with excess powder costing the basket and then many uses later causing it to stick to my bullets. This was MY FAULT not the powder coating. You need to shake off excess powder. Its amazingly dureable and once you realize that you will be better off. I shake to coat in the bucket. Then shake to remove excess then bump into a third container to bake. My containers are now far cleaner and bullets release very well. Even those the initially stick straight from oven. I quench mine in water then again shake them back and forth. Bullets free then selves 98% of the time.

Last night I baked eight different powders. Not a single one “stuck” or had voids pulled iff my other bullets or from the mesh tray. As a matter of fact you have to look very closely to even find evidence of the mesh tray at all. Sertinly nothing that would in any way effect the powders ability to encapsulate the bullet.

Great post!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

time from oven to dumping them from trays is important

right out of the oven they will stick together. After 30 sec to a minute you can roll them back and forth in a tray and break stickers apart. they are cooling and will finally cool enough so they won't stick together any more.

I dump one tray, give it a shake put on concrete driveway

repeat with second tray

go back to first and roll around again--back on driveway

repeat w/ second tray

keep this up 2-3 times more till they don't stick. Just a minute or two and you're good to go
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Great information!!

I used to always stand my bullets. Now I almost never do. I use Bed Bath and Beyond baskets.

I ruined my first set with excess powder costing the basket and then many uses later causing it to stick to my bullets. This was MY FAULT not the powder coating. You need to shake off excess powder. Its amazingly dureable and once you realize that you will be better off. I shake to coat in the bucket. Then shake to remove excess then bump into a third container to bake. My containers are now far cleaner and bullets release very well. Even those the initially stick straight from oven. I quench mine in water then again shake them back and forth. Bullets free then selves 98% of the time.

Great post!

CW
    Which Bed Bath Beyond baskets do you use ??
    Both ends WHAT a player

Very nice idea, and great write up.

I don't mind standing up some bullets, and made a cake cooling rack covered with non-stick foil as a cradle for longer bullets that don't stand well. Mostly loading for revolver or bolt action so high volume isn't required. However I will be looking at this just to see how it works for the couple of semi-auto calibers that are used in larger quantitates.

That baking mesh screen looks an awful lot like it started life as an office tray or file folder holder from walmart. Is that the source?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    Which Bed Bath Beyond baskets do you use ??
    I think they are 6x9 maybe 5x7?? The next larger size is too big for my oven. This one has plenty of room.

They are actually drawer organizers.

CW

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I think they are 6x9 maybe 5x7?? The next larger size is too big for my oven. This one has plenty of room.

They are actually drawer organizers.

CW
    I think I found them..............

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...awer-organizer

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

Thats them!!

They will last a long time if you switch them out meaning dump into one, sift. Then transfer to second basket for baking.

CW

Banned
    Cw, gloss smooth pearlescent steel gray?

Boolit Master

Believe it or not, the “color” is all patina! These boolets are about 50 years old!! 348 Winchesters my buddy sent me to pc for him. YES, on the gloss clear! GREAT STUFF!!!

CW

Banned
    Found the same containers same as line # #28 at walmart.com NICE SIZE 2 3/4" H x 4 1/4" W

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-pack-Gr...?selected=true

1 package of 3 containers $2.17 in store

2 packages of 3 containers $3.84 + shipping
    3 packages of 3 containers $5.77 + shipping

Boolit Master

still like the large #5 bowls

SOGO used to make a perfect round bowl with top--they are located in Houston -- 20 mile drive

they stopped making them so I'm taking real good care of my one and only
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Man
    Have any or you experimented with 300 degree baked? I find more sticking using the shake n bake method when temps are at 400. Using lower temp let's me pile on these suckers in the mesh tray. All bullets also pass the vise and hammer test

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast