RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4" Combat Magnum - Classic Revolver Reviews, Part 1 & Part 2

I really enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work. BTW Mrs. Thumbcocker's personal revolver is a pinned and recessed model 19, she will never part with it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I really enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work. BTW Mrs. Thumbcocker's personal revolver is a pinned and recessed model 19, she will never part with it.
    Thank you! I managed to get part 2 recorded today, even though a snow storm moved in half way through my shooting. I should have it posted by tomorrow.

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Here ya go fellas! Part-2 is now up and I hope you all enjoy it (I even managed to sneak in a few cast boolits for ya'll!)

Howard

Boolit Master

That was what I have been waiting on Howard. Thanks and well done. james

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    That was what I have been waiting on Howard. Thanks and well done. james
    Thank you James! I'm glad you like it.

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone know how to edit the title of my thread so I can note Part-2 is up?

Howard

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    OK Fellas! The sun is rising in the East. So long as the weather cooperates today, I'll be off to the range to record part-2!

Howard
    Great! I subscribed to your channel after watching a couple of other video's of yours. Thanks for showing the proper way to react to a misfire. I'm thinking you may have seated the primers too deep.

Do you remember what your reloads were in regards to powder? You demonstrate the reason DA revolvers like the SW19 still have a place in this era of plastic double stacks. Misfire, just keep pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-13-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Great! I subscribed to your channel after watching a couple of other video's of yours. Thanks for showing the proper way to react to a misfire. I'm thinking you may have seated the primers too deep.

Do you remember what your reloads were in regards to powder? You demonstrate the reason DA revolvers like the SW19 still have a place in this era of plastic double stacks. Misfire, just keep pulling the trigger.

Hi Jon! Thanks for the sub! The .357 load I was using in the video consists of a 158 grain Remington SJHP in front of 16.0 grains of H110. It’s a great general purpose full-power load.

Howard

I carried a 6" Model 19 as my duty gun from 1971 to 1980, when I changed to my Model 57 as my duty gun. Both were carried in a Hoyt High Rise Front Break holster, which is probably one of the finest duty holsters ever made, but unfortunately, the company is now out of business.

My dept. issued the 4" Model 19-4 as a duty weapon for many years, and I purchased one of the un-issued revolvers upon my retirement (along with a couple of the un-issued Model 59's). I've also got a 2 1/2" Model 19, a 2 1/2" Model 66 and a 4" Model 66, which are the stainless steel versions of the Model 19. As far as I'm concerned, the K-frame was one of S&W's finest products, but I still prefer my Model 57 for serious work.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: HR, I fixed your title for you. If you want it changed to something else, PM me and I'll take care of it for you.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I carried a 6" Model 19 as my duty gun from 1971 to 1980, when I changed to my Model 57 as my duty gun. Both were carried in a Hoyt High Rise Front Break holster, which is probably one of the finest duty holsters ever made, but unfortunately, the company is now out of business.

My dept. issued the 4" Model 19-4 as a duty weapon for many years, and I purchased one of the un-issued revolvers upon my retirement (along with a couple of the un-issued Model 59's). I've also got a 2 1/2" Model 19, a 2 1/2" Model 66 and a 4" Model 66, which are the stainless steel versions of the Model 19. As far as I'm concerned, the K-frame was one of S&W's finest products, but I still prefer my Model 57 for serious work.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: HR, I fixed your title for you. If you want it changed to something else, PM me and I'll take care of it for you.
    My first Chief carried a Model 59. He was a great guy. Working for him was a little like what you would expect if you were working for your grandfather. He's now in a nursing home, and he has alzheimer's. I visited him a while back, and he still thought he was my Chief and I was one of his officers. I think I actually enjoyed the conversation. I wish I had a 59 to commemorate him.

Howard

P.S. Thanks for fixing my title!

Boolit Master

I was really enjoying watching this video.

Having shot some of the 125 gr .357 magnums rounds that are legendary man stoppers, I always thought if these loads didn't drop a bad guy, the muzzle blast and concussion would surely stun him!

I mostly use and shoot 158 gr to 180 gr in my .357's, and leave the 125gr for defense rounds.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I was really enjoying watching this video.

Having shot some of the 125 gr .357 magnums rounds that are legendary man stoppers, I always thought if these loads didn't drop a bad guy, the muzzle blast and concussion would surely stun him!

I mostly use and shoot 158 gr to 180 gr in my .357's, and leave the 125gr for defense rounds.
    That's a sound practice. When I carry a .357 for defensive use, it's normally my 3" M66. In that one, I prefer the Remington 125 grain Golden Sabers. The 125 gr. GS is a mid-range .357 load with power right between a .38 +P and a full-power 357. It's controllable and still quite effective. For all other .357 Magnum applications, I prefer a 158 grain (or heavier) bullet.

Howard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12