RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forster Co-ax blues

Boolit Master
    Just be patient they will be back in stock soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought one off of Ebay. Actually got it at a fair price !
    Now I'll need to start shopping for goodies to add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    Just bought one off of Ebay. Actually got it at a fair price !
    Now I'll need to start shopping for goodies to add to it.
    What goodies? It doesn't need any goodies! Ok maybe the Inline roller handle and LED light. Also mounting as seen here:
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Super Moderator Emeritus
    buy a stack of extra jaw springs

If you have B3 or older model then Forster has an upgrade shell hold housing that helps prevent those jaw springs from disappearing into sove black hole.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Mold
    Lyman has a new "M" press that is quite similar, more (better?) features and for less $.

Banned

I bought one of these a couple of years ago in good shape for about 135 bucks. Still haven't set it up, I need to do that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by drkphibr View Post
    Lyman has a new "M" press that is quite similar, more (better?) features and for less $.
    It's actually Frankford that has the new M press.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    C-dubb, the Co-Ax is obviously an excellent press in some respects but so are others.
    With the Co-Ax, seems it's a "love to use it" or "hate to use it" thing and a lot of us do not love it.

Just some personal thoughts for your consideration:
    * I find the ergonomics of that center mounted, straight-out, lever arm equally awkward to use with either hand.
    * Needing those large die lock rings bothers me,
    * so does the (almost) "universal" shell holder thing.
    * RCBS bullet puller type dies are difficult to use on that press.
    * And, if you buy an older used one you may get the original version with the lever yoke that can't clear (my favorite) Forster/Redding micrometer seating dies.

It's your decision, to each his own. IF someone gave me a CoAx I would not throw it away but there's no way I'd ever pay the price for one. I just don't see them as any improvement over several conventional presses.
    This is pretty much my sentiments too. No doubt its a fine press. It would cost me a small fortune to buy enough die lock rings to convert all of my dies. If I bought one of these I would look into some of the custom jaws and springs that are offered.

Since you bought one before I posted, please let us know how you like it, once you have used it some.

Boolit Grand Master

When I got my new Co-Ax a couple years ago, I too started looking for "upgrades"/accessories. The only things I came up with were a lighting system from Inline and some extra shell holder jaw springs. I read complaints about the "long throw handle", but I rarely need more leverage than just grabbing the yoke, except for F/L sizing Garand fired 30-6 brass. I did get the extra jaws because I reload a variety of cartridges, but inexpensive and if one learns how to change them, it's no big deal. I like the self closing jaws much better than a "universal" RCBS type shell holder (just drop a case on the plate between the jaws and raise the handle, easy peasy). I have lost no springs and needed no short handle (you know you don't have to hold the end of the handle, don't you? You can grab the handle between the yoke and the end, or you can hold the yoke comfortably). I mounted my press at an angle to my left which aids the "ergonomics" for feeding cases or sizing bullets (I made a long ram that fits in the shell holder jaws and is long enough to punch bullets all the way through a Lee size die).

I couldn't find much in the way of accessories that were really needed...

FWIW; I read about complaints about "needing" large (?) lock rings. Since the dies float in a Co-Ax, the only "need" for Sinclair or Forster lock rings is they fit in the slot better and limit upward movement. When I got my Co-Ax I ordered some Forster lock rings and the cost was less than $5.00 each. I needed a few quickly so I drilled and tapped (8-32)some other manufacturer's rings and used nylon tipped set screws. I even drilled and tapped some Lee lock rings. All these home modified rings produced good ammo and I particularity watched OAL of ammo but found no more than .002" variation in length, about the same as when Forster rings were used. (the dies will only move upward so much, and will move the same every time. I adjusted the dies to give me a particular OAL and yes, the dies did move upward under pressure, but they moved the same distance, consistently every time, so there was no variation.).

It's too bad these minor things bother some reloaders, but that's what choice is all about...
    Last edited by mdi; 01-20-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Stopped by the booth at SHOT, and they told me that they are shipping as many as they can produce and should be shipping 200-300 in the next few weeks. No issues, just more demand than availability.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12