Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 4759

Boolit Master

What size canisters was/is available ?
    I have an opportunity to buy some canisters.
    The guy says they are 4 or 5#.
    What do you consider a fair price per pound?

Thanks , dale

Banned

$15 ftf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    $15 ftf
    Per pound or per canister? This stuff isn't available anymore, they quit making it. It's a great powder and in demand for those who still want to use it. They'd be 4# canisters/bottles. If unopened I'd offer the guy ten bucks per pound for them. He can easily get more from someone else. Your chances of getting more are slim. FWIW, it's a much better cast powder than jacketed.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys.
    I thought he said it was a 4# canister, but couldn`t remember for sure.
    I was thinking $10-$15 a pound myself.
    It definitely will be used for cast...dale

Boolit Master
    I know it came in 8# jugs, besides 1#ers ................cause I have one left, in my stash.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    1's,5's and 12's. It is too bulky to get 8lb in the gallon size cans. My 12lb kegs are probably 3 gallon size.

If I really wanted it, $15 per pound is cheap, real cheap. Closest thing out there that comes close is AA5744 and it has doubled in price since SR4759 was discontinued, imagine that.
    5744 is good, but I still can't do with it what SR4759 will do.

Boolit Master
    Even if it's $20-25 a lb, take it, they are not making any more of it. I stocked up at last call, before discontinuation. It's a great powder for cast bullets, all calibers. There is a company, in conjunction with the CBA, exploring the possibility of duplicating the 4759 formula, and reintroducing the powder. I don't know if this effort is going anywhere or not.

Boolit Master
    My small kegs from the 1960's are marked "4 lbs". Same keg size as 8# of the other Dupont powders came in.

Yep, hard to beat 4759 with a lot of cast boolit loads. 5744 is a good powder but I am finding Blue Dot working well for replacing some of my old 4759 loads (and a few less grains of powder required).

Boolit Buddy
    At my club, 4759 has been the powder for 200 yard offhand target shooting with cast lead boolits for over 40 years. I've used in 30-30, 32-40, 30-06, 40-50, 40-65 and 45-70. My stock is running low and if I saw any, I'd buy it.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't have a problem paying more for it if in unopened cans, 25 to 30 a pound not excessive imho. As said before they're not making anymore of it.

Is it in metal cans? Dupont made it first. My last cans were 4lb plastic with IMR being the maker.

If opened then a lot less, check for an acid smell or contamination.

Boolit Grand Master

Wayback Machine shows Powder Valley selling 8 oz, 1#, 4#, 5# and 8# over the years. Wish I could still get it for the 2002 price of $14.53 a pound. The $14.75 price for CCI primers would sure be nice as well.

Be aware that a regular can of SR4759 is only 8 ounces, not the 1 pound cans you are used to buying most powders; and purchase accordingly!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    Be aware that a regular can of SR4759 is only 8 ounces, not the 1 pound cans you are used to buying most powders; and purchase accordingly!
    So nice and bulky!

Boolit Master

If it's fresh, smells OK I'd go 20-25 a pound. It was the best for the job.

Boolit Master
    After reading C.E.Harris article about shooting cast bullets in military surplus rifles I finally got an almost pristine Finn model 27 made in 1935. One of the powders he recommended was IMR 4759. That an the lyman 314299 were a match made in heaven. That particular rifle has only seen cast bullets and 4759 down the tube in like 25 or so years. Barrel gleams and right now the limiting factor is my eyes. This powder was stopped and started in production a couple times and this was the last batch that was made. So if you ever get some treat it like gold. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    This may be the case for the cans but the plastic bottles contained one pound. The plastic bottles came in one, four and eight pounds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This may be the case for the cans but the plastic bottles contained one pound. The plastic bottles came in one, four and eight pounds.
    This is what I bought at a LGS a couple of years ago: