WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: For thought and meditation

Boolit Master

For thought and meditation

As they led Him away, they laid hold of a certain man, Simon…, and on him they laid the cross that he might bear it after Jesus. LUKE 23:26
    If we obey God, it is going to cost other people more than it costs us, and that is where the pain begins. If we are in love with our Lord, obedience does not cost us anything— it is a delight. But to those who do not love Him, our obedience does cost a great deal. If we obey God, it will mean that other people’s plans are upset. They will ridicule us as if to say, “You call this Christianity?” We could prevent the suffering, but not if we are obedient to God. We must let the cost be paid.
    When our obedience begins to cost others, our human pride entrenches itself and we say, “I will never accept anything from anyone.” But we must, or disobey God. We have no right to think that the type of relationships we have with others should be any different from those the Lord Himself had (see Luke 8:1-3).
    A lack of progress in our spiritual life results when we try to bear all the costs ourselves. And actually, we cannot. Because we are so involved in the universal purposes of God, others are immediately affected by our obedience to Him. Will we remain faithful in our obedience to God and be willing to suffer the humiliation of refusing to be independent? Or will we do just the opposite and say, “I will not cause other people to suffer”? We can disobey God if we choose, and it will bring immediate relief to the situation, but it will grieve our Lord. If, however, we obey God, He will care for those who have suffered the consequences of our obedience. We must simply obey and leave all the consequences with Him.
    Beware of the inclination to dictate to God what consequences you would allow as a condition of your obedience to Him.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

"If we obey God, it is going to cost other people more than it costs us, and that is where the pain begins. If we are in love with our Lord, obedience does not cost us anything— it is a delight."

Is this article really suggesting Simon's cost of obedience was greater than Jesus'?

Saints of the Bible that obeyed God in adversarial conditions paid a high cost, sometimes with their lives. Maybe they were delighted to suffer and die, but I doubt it. Even Jesus struggled with the idea of his sacrifice. Jesus' death personally cost him a great deal.

Boolit Master
    No
    It is saying sometimes my wife has to take a backseat to Gods will in my life
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    No
    It is saying sometimes my wife has to take a backseat to Gods will in my life
    That sure isn't what I read, primarily in the first part.

As I alluded to above, I have serious issues with the following statements:

1. If we obey God, it is going to cost other people more than it costs us...

2. If we are in love with our Lord, obedience does not cost us anything— it is a delight.

These statements are opposite to what we experience in life and see recorded in Scripture.

Why do I care? Because it gives people the wrong idea about their spiritual walk. Self denial, confronting sin and many other Christian tasks are not always delightful. Delight is a feeling that doesn't always accompany Christian service. God works in us to want to do his work, but often it is a sacrifice because we'd rather do something else. A person who doesn't feel delight is doing just fine if they do what is right.

Once I heard a pastor say, "God allows me to drink as much whiskey as I want to. I just don't want to drink any." He was suggesting that God prevents him from wanting to drink. Well that was good for him. But what about the Christian struggling with a desire to get liquored up? Not only does this poor guy have to struggle with wanting a drink, but now he has to wonder what he has done to make God not deliver him from the desire. This is the same situation created by saying a person who loves God will delight in doing his will and it will cost him nothing.

Boolit Master
    God placed it upon my heart to stop drinking so I don't drink

If my will is gods will I don't want to drink. if my will is to drink then it's my will I'm following.
    If my will is gods will it costs me nothing if my will is my own it cost me plenty

Agin my wife gets put on hold from time to time for me to be about my work it costs me nothing i

Yes life can be tough from a worldly view but when I'm still I see God in the struggle and I delight in it

After a long week and long trip home I find a busted water line right at dark I gab a shovel and start digging I get it all pached up with just enough light to make it inside my heart was filled becuse God had given me the ability, the light, the material, and the knowledge to fix it?

Yes If we look at things with worldly eyes it seams tough

Off the top of my head the only Saint I know that had a problem with gods will was johna. He didn't want ninava saved so I conclude if we want what we want gods will is tough if we want what God wants its a delight

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

God placed it upon my heart to stop drinking so I don't drink

If my will is gods will I don't want to drink. if my will is to drink then it's my will I'm following.
    If my will is gods will it costs me nothing if my will is my own it cost me plenty

Agin my wife gets put on hold from time to time for me to be about my work it costs me nothing i

Yes life can be tough from a worldly view but when I'm still I see God in the struggle and I delight in it

After a long week and long trip home I find a busted water line right at dark I gab a shovel and start digging I get it all pached up with just enough light to make it inside my heart was filled becuse God had given me the ability, the light, the material, and the knowledge to fix it?

Yes If we look at things with worldly eyes it seams tough

Off the top of my head the only Saint I know that had a problem with gods will was johna. He didn't want ninava saved so I conclude if we want what we want gods will is tough if we want what God wants its a delight
    I will just point out that Jesus always did what God wanted him to. But he struggled with going to the cross in the garden; so much so that his will was not God's will (Luke 22:42). He deferred to the will of God. However, the torture, humiliation and death he endured cost him greatly. It cost God greatly as well.

Boolit Master
    My point when our will is gods will we delight

When gods will is not our will we hurt

When I first found the water leak i was not delighted but once I saw God in what was happing my flesh faded and the spirit lifted me and I was delighted

Like jäger said "his moment of dought and pain" we all have them but what do we dwell on

Forgive them for they no not what they do

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

My point when our will is gods will we delight

When gods will is not our will we hurt

When I first found the water leak i was not delighted but once I saw God in what was happing my flesh faded and the spirit lifted me and I was delighted

Like jäger said "his moment of dought and pain" we all have them but what do we dwell on

Forgive them for they no not what they do
    It would be great if our will was always God's will. That is just not the case for us human beings. Again, Jesus said, "Not my will, but your will be done." In this case, God's will and Jesus' will were different. Jesus sacrificed and did what God wanted even though he did not want to. I doubt he found crucifixion delightful.

Boolit Master
    I am positive he delighted in his crucifixtion and the salvation of the world

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

I am positive he delighted in his crucifixtion and the salvation of the world
    No doubt he was pleased with the end result. But he did not find the process delightful nor was that the path he wanted to take the night before. He did what he did not want to do for the benefit of others. This is sacrifice. Sacrifice always comes with a cost even if it is in accordance with God's will.

Boolit Master

<(*)(()><