Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Encore Rifle strenth

Boolit Bub

Encore Rifle strenth

I have several encore rifles in calibers to 7mm mag, 35 whelen and 45/70, but have never seen anything printed as to where it stands as compared to 86 Winchester strength, ruger #3 and #1. When a person gets to 45/70 loads or 35 whelen its hard to figure out. All you testers out there should have a lot of info!!

Moderator Emeritus

My information from Mike Belm is too keep the 300 Win Mag and 7 Rem Mag loaded to under 60K PSI. or frame stretching can occur.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Based on what the factory does you should expect it to stronger than the 1886.
    Who knows how strong the Ruger single shots are since they are chambered for belted magnums?
    The Encore is probably ok with facotory belted magnums since they are sold that way. However they are not very heavy and might give you a beating.

Pressure data for all SAAMI standardized rounds can be found at the SAAMI web site and in modern loading data. That includes .35 whelen and .45-70.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    I think I am going to start with the 45/70 and data in the middle of the 86 Winchester and work up til I encounter some pressure signs. Then I am going to work on the 35 whelen knowing that this info was worked up on bolt actions and I have already used max loads with it, so will start from there and work up slowly looking for pressure sighs also. I cant believe some in one of the reloading books haven't done this as we have so many encores out there and little info on this. Also with all this wealth on these site, I hope someone already had done this!!

Boolit Master
    Your Encore can be fitted with belted magnum barrels and the factory sells them that way. There should not be ANY .45-70 or .35 Whelen loads published by reputable companies that would damage your Encore.
    EDG

Boolit Master

If your shoulder can handle the kick so can your Encore as long as safety PSI's are in order.
    Larry

Boolit Buddy
    "I think I am going to start with the 45/70 and data in the middle of the 86 Winchester and work up..."
    I loaded five 500gr sub-trapdoors in a Contender carbine. Went home and pulled three.

Boolit Master
    I have one in 500 S&W, that with the rite (wrong) loads will bust my chops! I say it can handle way more 45-70 than you can, I know my 500 can!

Boolit Master
    reminds me of the young guy at the range telling me he replaced his 7mm/08 with a 243 because the recoil"was brutal"

Boolit Buddy
    I have an Encore in 375 H&H, and one in 45-70. The 45-70 at upper end lever gun level loads hurts as bad or worse than the ouch and ouch. You won't like River level loads I promise.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't imagine why an encore couldn't handle the top "modern rifle" level loads. I've had the pleasure of shooting full power 300 win mag in an encore, it is not something you want to shoot 50 rounds off a bench in one sitting, but not that bad.

Boolit Bub
    The Encore will handle No. 1 loads.

You won’t.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 30-30 guy View Post
    I have several encore rifles in calibers to 7mm mag, 35 whelen and 45/70, but have never seen anything printed as to where it stands as compared to 86 Winchester strength, ruger #3 and #1.
    To be fair neither Winchester nor Ruger declare their relative strengths vs the other manufacturers.

To be helpful I agree with guiding yourself by what the factory chambers